need some pro opinion

93blackH22

alright so Im pretty much about to kill someone thinkin about this Del Sol I'm gettin. So I did what any person would do if they were as excited as me: I started to make a build list...

this of course is just the kind of style that I wanted to do and all that but is completely open for changes because Im not sure if half the crap works with the Del Sol or if it would go good huh

ENGINE~

H22A - Im still a little sketchy on this swap because people keep warning me on handling and oversteer and understeer but Im not sure why it does that :(, but I did find a nice site thats going to sell me everything at once and Im prob just gonna sell the header and such on Ebay to get the exact ones that I want (H22 package)

4-1 header - If I get the H22 then from what Ive heard this is the best header to get for acceleration

DC catback exaust - a sweet 4" exaust that runs for about $400 new :o

EXTERIOR~

wheels - Enkie or Konig you tell me and I was leaning tword yokohama Avid T4 tires

windshield - minor crack and needed

bodykit - might as well get it before the paint job :crazy: but Im guessing that Del Sol bodykits will fit the same year civic as itself?

paint job - prob black but I heard bad stuff about Maaco but they are cheap, so any reccomendations there?

underglow ->_< Im sorry, like rice; especially rice you can change the color of with a remote($200)

SAFETY~

harness racing seats - probably 4 points I love 'em, and I like to drive with a little more "fun" than most people :thumbsup:

rollcage - where would I find one or would I have to weld it up myself (possible) I dont know about Del sols and cages it being a 2 seater and all ( I heard that roll protection was built in the body? )

AUDIO~

Kenwood Excelon KVT-817 DVD - its a in-dash video headunit (NICE haha)

Kicker DS60 (6 1/2") - front and pillar speakers

Sub? - not sure if its worth it :blush:

I hate to do this but I might have to do cosmetics first >_< , the car really needs a paint job and my parents bday gift to me is the wheels and tires and since Im putting a bodykit on I might as well do that before the paintjob just to get it all done at once, I mean Im not going to go as far as a Carbon Fiber hood right away but just get the basics I need while tryin to save time and money of waiting till after my engines in instead.

4" exhaust? isnt that a little too big? even built turbo cars use 3" exhaust. if youre planning to keep that engine N/A a 4" exhaust wouldnt be a good idea. but other than that sounds like an interesting project.

i think/hope he means a 4" tip on the exhaust. and for the body kit, you need to order one thats made for a del sol, the civic kits wont fit, but you could make them fit by a lot of custom work, but its not worth it. good luck with the plans, hope everything works out

if you get your car painted by macco dont get the cheapest priced paint job. other wise the paint wont look smooth. get the higher up priced one if you get it done by macco. del sols have there own body kits.

I wouldnt get a body kit, if you do, get one for a del sol, underglows are gay.

Dont put a roll cage in a daily driver, unless you want to strap up and where a helmet everywhere you go.

Wheels are your opinion, but get 16's.

You completely forgot suspension and brakes.

I dont like the H22, but its up to you, if you swap, you should do a b series, but again, its up to you.

H22 won't give you oversteer, it will make for a little understeer. Big deal.

Definitely going to need adjustab;e springs/coilovers due to the added weight, and height of the motor. The header will scrape a lot.

4" exhaust is too big for most Hondas. Go 2.5 inch on that set up.

Dude, you just copied my idea of posting a build list. I've killed men for less.

Anyway, I can't help but point out that things like a roll-cage and racing seat belts are a complete waste of money. Plus, when you drive people around in your car they are just gonna have to ask about how to belt themselves in and when you explain it to them they are gonna be like, "This guy is a tool." Same goes for the underglow crap, but it is your car, so I'll shut up now.

Not sure why you're so dead set on the H22 but hey, if you've got the money and the time, then go for it. Me? I've got neither.

Yeah, you'll run into some complications but people have done it before and I'm convinced there's nothing that can't be solved by asking folks on this forum.

I's a big fan of Yoko tires, and the T4s are definitely decent. If you live near a National Tire and Battery, though, get yourself some AS430s. They look and perform better, though they do cost a little bit more. I think they've got a 50 or 60k mileage warranty.

anything you can do will help before you just drop it off at the paint shop.start by washing it well a few times with dish detergent as this will help to strip the old wax and armor all off the paint and rubber surfaces including wheels and tires and underside(spray jet at car wash will get rid of road dirt)this will keep as much dust and crap out of your paint as possible.if you are not paying them to align body panels and fix door/hood gaps do it before the paint job as well as fix any dings,dents ,rust.i stripped my 66 pontiac to bare metal and did rust and dent work as well as panel gaps before painting it...it takes a while but makes a big difference in the finished product.BTW yes i have a friend that owns a restoration shop and his advice/help was priceless.good luck and lets see pics.

Dude, you just copied my idea of posting a build list. I've killed men for less.

oh sorry bro haha didnt even see yours tho :-"

but yeah I really havent heard anything that would steer me away from the H22, its one of the larger engines and I have alot of time to spend on this so I am seriously goin crazy right now waitin w00t

anything you can do will help before you just drop it off at the paint shop.start by washing it well a few times with dish detergent as this will help to strip the old wax and armor all off the paint and rubber surfaces including wheels and tires and underside(spray jet at car wash will get rid of road dirt)this will keep as much dust and crap out of your paint as possible.if you are not paying them to align body panels and fix door/hood gaps do it before the paint job as well as fix any dings,dents ,rust.i stripped my 66 pontiac to bare metal and did rust and dent work as well as panel gaps before painting it...it takes a while but makes a big difference in the finished product.BTW yes i have a friend that owns a restoration shop and his advice/help was priceless.good luck and lets see pics.

thanks man thats and Ill be sure to put them up :thumbsup:

oh sorry bro haha didnt even see yours tho :-"

but yeah I really havent heard anything that would steer me away from the H22, its one of the larger engines and I have alot of time to spend on this so I am seriously goin crazy right now waitin w00t

how about the fact that you'll have to spend a lot more money to build an H22. but hey, I guess if you're looking for a stock motor, an H22 isn't bad...

I would just give this dude some space, BBS. If he's got the time and the money, I say let him go crazy with it. He already seems a little tweaked. I mean... look at what he did to the guy in his avatar.

speaking of h22's i raped one last night. it was an 92 style prelude, im not sure what kind it was if it was the s the si or the vtec. i do know that from the outside of it it looked stock, no exhaust or anything, but the guy give me the look and i took him hard. ive noticed that while my sol may be the s model, when i race, im usually the winner. it like puzzles me because i know that if my car is stock which im pretty sure it is, that it has like 100 hp, and im not that experienced of a driver crap ive only been driving for like 3 years. can i contribute that to my small wheel size 13 or 14 inches - i dont remember? how much does it cost to dyno a car, i think my motors been built up because its fast, but it does have the stock motor though i looked.

oh and kid, dont get a body kit, get a lip kit, also dont get a roll cage, when you get a sol and you try to figure out how you want to do it, youll see how complicated it is the back window gets in the way, and underglows are tacky to me, especially when theyre cheap. i swear to god, fast and the furious must have made sooo many car parts companys soo much money. lmao.

yeah I know what you guys are sayin but I dont plan on keeping it stock I just didnt add taht to the build list :p Im not really sure what I want to lay in it yet, mabye leaning tword v-tec, mabye goin tword turbo. Havent really figured that out yet so I just didnt post it

not to mention that turbos are even a little out of my price range :laugh:

Yeah, turbos are out of my price range too, man. So is an H22 swap, for that matter.

Sonny, if you've got the s model like I have, and it's stock, then you have 13" steelies. I've noticed that even the s model can surprise you with its quickness, but I think that's just because the expectations are pretty low with that kind of an engine in there. Try racing someone who has put some time and money into their car, or even just bought a semi-expensive sports car, and odds are you won't win.

Hey, how's that battle with the insurance company going? You gonna buy my 17s?

Sorry, your sol isn't fast. If it looks like a D15b7, if there is no turbo there, it's not fast.

Race me.

Let him do what he wants to his car.

nope, its a d16y7...did i offend you in the past cuz last few posts youve been like bitting my head off...

Yeah, turbos are out of my price range too, man. So is an H22 swap, for that matter.

Sonny, if you've got the s model like I have, and it's stock, then you have 13" steelies. I've noticed that even the s model can surprise you with its quickness, but I think that's just because the expectations are pretty low with that kind of an engine in there. Try racing someone who has put some time and money into their car, or even just bought a semi-expensive sports car, and odds are you won't win.

Hey, how's that battle with the insurance company going? You gonna buy my 17s?

really i didnt know they were 13's i thought 96-97 got 14's, and vtecs got 15's. oh well, im still in the middle, i just sent my insurance company a fraudulant estimate that my friends dad made up to fix my car for 3,500, hell have it done on saturday, and ill fax it to em on monday. but as far as now, its looking 50/50.

You might be right with the 14" wheels on a 96-7. I'm not sure what came stock in those years on a sol s. I was just assuming that you had a 95 or below for some reason. I guess I shouldn't have done that since you have a D15Y7, which if I remember correctly has 4 more horses than my D15B7.

On the topic of racing people, I beat an SLK tonight by two car-lengths in a drag. He was deffo racing too, cuz he kept pulling up in anticipation and as soon as the light went green he gunned it. I passed him cuz I was faster on the shift to second -- guess he doesn't race too often cuz there's no reason why my stock s should have been able to do that. True story, though.

No stress about the wheels man, I could just use the money. I need to get them off the car anyway. Hope everything works out for you, man.

Archived