Replacing Front Rotors

phillyhonda800

Good Day All! I've read through all 35 forum page displays and found similiar questions in respect to replacing front rotors on a 96 honda accord ex sedan. However, some of the answers were vague. Some said the rotor slides off easily and some said you need a special tool cause the caliper is compressed. I am mechanically inclined and my concern with replacing the front rotors is having to acquire a brake lath tool to remove the compressed calipers so that I can slide off the rotor.

So here's my two questions:

1. Where can I obtain this brake lath tool should I need to remove the compressed caliper and does anyone know specifically what this tool looks like? I went to Snap-on.com for further research and I got over 400 items.

2. Where can I get a diagram that shows step-by-step instructions on how to replace front rotors rather than buying a mechanics book?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Even if I don't get a straight forward answer here, I will still replace my own rotors regardless and let you know how I did and provide specific instructions for others to utilize.

Thanks all

1. Where can I obtain this brake lath tool should I need to remove the compressed caliper and does anyone know specifically what this tool looks like? I went to Snap-on.com for further research and I got over 400 items.

2. Where can I get a diagram that shows step-by-step instructions on how to replace front rotors rather than buying a mechanics book?

1. no lath needed or any special tools at all really. all you need is flat head screwdriver , socket set , 8" C clamp, impact driver with phillips bit.

put car up in air. take wheel off. take 2 bolts out that hold caliper on. use screwdriver to pry caliper off. sit aside. pull brake shoes off caliper mount. 2 17mm bolts on back side holdin caliper mount on , take those out. if your car still has, or does have 2 phillips head screws holdin rotor on than those have to come out and sometimes there a bitch. penetrating fluid first , than id heat them up just with a simple propane torch will do. when there hot , whack where your wheel mates with the rotor on top of those screws to loosen there grip some. use impact driver to take them out, screwdriver may work. once you get rotor off clean(new rotor) real good with brakeclean, stick it on. put caliper mount back on. place new brake shoes in holders. use a C clamp to depress brake caliper piston (some hondas have what looks like a big flat headed screw for a piston, if yours does than all you have to do is turn it cloclwise and it winds itself in). be careful not to damage rubber seal around piston and that it seats back in place properly.sit caliper back over shoes and mount. grease your sliders(caliper bolts) with white lithium grease i recommend and stick them back in and there one side is done. never overtighten bolts. very snug but not with all your might. when you get new front brakes on your pedal might feel funny(not much there) for first day or so. start car up when done and keep pumpin pedal to work the slack out. no need for bleeding or nothin as well to let you know.

1. no lath needed or any special tools at all really. all you need is flat head screwdriver , socket set , 8" C clamp, impact driver with phillips bit.

put car up in air. take wheel off. take 2 bolts out that hold caliper on. use screwdriver to pry caliper off. sit aside. pull brake shoes off caliper mount. 2 17mm bolts on back side holdin caliper mount on , take those out. if your car still has, or does have 2 phillips head screws holdin rotor on than those have to come out and sometimes there a bitch. penetrating fluid first , than id heat them up just with a simple propane torch will do. when there hot , whack where your wheel mates with the rotor on top of those screws to loosen there grip some. use impact driver to take them out, screwdriver may work. once you get rotor off clean(new rotor) real good with brakeclean, stick it on. put caliper mount back on. place new brake shoes in holders. use a C clamp to depress brake caliper piston (some hondas have what looks like a big flat headed screw for a piston, if yours does than all you have to do is turn it cloclwise and it winds itself in). be careful not to damage rubber seal around piston and that it seats back in place properly.sit caliper back over shoes and mount. grease your sliders(caliper bolts) with white lithium grease i recommend and stick them back in and there one side is done. never overtighten bolts. very snug but not with all your might. when you get new front brakes on your pedal might feel funny(not much there) for first day or so. start car up when done and keep pumpin pedal to work the slack out. no need for bleeding or nothin as well to let you know.

________________________________________________________________________________

_________

Thanks for the quick response. I concur with your explanation and attest that what you explained holds true. I use to own an 86 honda prelude 2.0 SI and it was the same steps as you describe. This will be an easy job then. This is my first accord and a couple of people including pepboys told me that the rotors are compressed. Well thanks again and nice accord dude. I should have my pics up shortly!

hey guys. i'm originally from northeast philly. i live in phoenixville now but always hang in west chester. there is no way in hell i am lowering this accord. i rather ride high for clearance. damn pot holes in pa suck!

here r two shots of the interior. i bought this accord back in august 05 from this guy in doylestown, pa. he kept up with it.

MyHondaInterior.jpgback_seat.jpg

guys please. i'm not a member to discuss who's car is better or what not. i am a member to help people out with their car and also get answers from other people should i have a problem with my car. please use someone else's post or create a new post and bicker at each other there and not on my posts.

Thank you

Archived