Boltons

smcginnis87

Well i was just wanting to know what semple things i can do to get HP out of a S2K because i really dont want to spend the cash on a Turbo kit or a supercharger.....what els is there that i can do besides intake and exhaust??? if you could please answer me that would be grate......

Stephen

basic bolt ons...hmm..

intake, header (is there 2? im not familiar with the s2k much.), intake manifold, plugs/wires, a good clutch/flywheel combo, exhaust (cat back, or maybe do a full exhaust setup)

something that would really help is to get your s2k on a dyno and get it tuned, it helps free up a bit of HP

also some aftermarket cams would help too.

thank you, never paid attentino to them as they are a bit out of my $$ range lol.

i just remember hearing something about its hard to get power out of a s2k w/out forced induction..

so agreed on the header and clutch/flywheel for sure, and again, go for a tune, it will release a little HP thats just sitting there.

A header on an S2000 won't gain you any power unles you spend about $1000. If you look at the factory exhaust manifold on the S2000, it is built and designed exactly like an aftermarket header. You run a risk of losing performance by switching it out. Get a J's racing intake and a good exhaust and you'll be good to go. Leave the stock header alone....seriously.

A header on an S2000 won't gain you any power unles you spend about $1000. If you look at the factory exhaust manifold on the S2000, it is built and designed exactly like an aftermarket header. You run a risk of losing performance by switching it out. Get a J's racing intake and a good exhaust and you'll be good to go. Leave the stock header alone....seriously.

Agreed.....

I'd have to agree so far, with as much as it costs for "basic bolt-ons" the money spent will far outweigh the hp gained. The OEM header is a very good piece, same with the OEM exhaust, swapping those out might result in a minimal hp gain but your main benefit will be weight savings since neither are very light.

There are only 3 intakes I would reccomend. The Comptech Ice Box, the J's racing intake that was mentioned before or possibly the Spoon air duct. I have the Spoon duct, HP gain is slight but it helps reduce heat soak on hot days when the car likes to stumble. Of the 3 my first choice is the J's racing but I just didn't feel like spending that kind of cash on an intake so I picked up a second hand Spoon duct for an unbeatable price.

One upgrade I am leaning towards since it's probably the best "bang for the buck" is swapping to the 4.77 gears in the rear differential, the trade off is higher rpm during freeway driving but acceleration is much better. The 4.77 are getting a little cheaper now that the 4.57 have been introduced. IMO the 4.57 are probably better but for the price of the 4.77 right now it's hard to beat. Not sure if you have a local shop to install, I'm not advertising but check here for prices & install info: http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/customer/home.php, they know the S2000 in & out.

A good set of cams might help after some dyno tuning. It's a great handling car to begin with but I like it much better after I lowered it. I'm just using the old KG/MM DR-2 'race' springs on OEM shocks, 2 years & the shocks handle them fine. Coilovers are nice, but once again I got a very good price on them.

The only other things I personally feel helped out in some "trouble spots":

-trim the plastic divider out of the OEM airbox

-if using the OEM airbox switch to a Comptech or K&N drop in filter

-get rid of the Honda MTL in the transmission & switch to GM Synchromesh FM

Any ideas on how much the gear change would improve 1/4 mile times?

Not sure off hand, I'll check around for you though, some guys claim a .3-.5 drop but they have to shift one extra time over the stock run. I'm still looking for a video of a stock S2K with 4.77 gears that supposedly runs nose to nose with a supercharged S2K using stock gears in a 1/4 mile. The SC S2K will run away from the NA one eventually though due to a lower top speed on the 4.77 gears.

• 3 weeks later...
thank you, never paid attentino to them as they are a bit out of my $$ range lol.

i just remember hearing something about its hard to get power out of a s2k w/out forced induction..

so agreed on the header and clutch/flywheel for sure, and again, go for a tune, it will release a little HP thats just sitting there.

correct me if im wrong, isn't VTEC is a form of forced air induction?!?!?

no VTEC isnt forced induction. you should definitely put cams in that s2k. that engine would scream with just cams alone. you can read about vtec lots a places in this forum im too lazy to type it out, lol .

Archived