GSR tranny making noise???

dawrenn

I have a 99 civic with a GSR swap. When the car is on and my foot is off the clutch pedal there is a wierd noise coming from the tranny, When I put my foot on the clutch the noise stops. My dad says its the throw out bearing. I was wondering what will happen if I dont replace it? If I have to replace it how hard will it be to replace?

It's not your throwout bearing, but rather the main bearing inside the transmission. I don't think the part itself is too terribly expensive, but you have to gut the tranny to replace it. If you're not a certified mechanic, it's a job best left to professionals.

It's not your throwout bearing, but rather the main bearing inside the transmission. I don't think the part itself is too terribly expensive, but you have to gut the tranny to replace it. If you're not a certified mechanic, it's a job best left to professionals.

How is it not the throwout bearing? It did not start doing this until the shop replaced the clutch and flywheel, They were suppose to replace the throwout bearing but I am not sure if they did. A few other people I have talked to had the same problem I am having and it was there throwout bearing.

It's not the throwout bearing. It's the input shaft (mainshaft) bearing.

There are two of them, the one making the noise is the one in the case.

Cost about $30 in parts to fix it. Drop trans, split trans open, remove gearsets/shift forks, pull bearing, reverse for installation.

Cost about $30 in parts to fix it. Drop trans, split trans open, remove gearsets/shift forks, pull bearing, reverse for installation.

Well I am going to replace the throwout bearing, I hope that fixes the problem. My dad is a certified mechanic and he said it was the throwout bearing. I just posted on here to get other peoples opinions.

Well I am going to replace the throwout bearing, I hope that fixes the problem. My dad is a certified mechanic and he said it was the throwout bearing. I just posted on here to get other peoples opinions.

So, you come here and ask us a question, and then go do whatever the hell you want anyway? Now, I understand why optional had a problem with you.

So, you come here and ask us a question, and then go do whatever the hell you want anyway? Now, I understand why optional had a problem with you.

what do you mean by "and then go do whatever the hell you want anyway"?

It means, why the hell would you come on here and ask opinions if you don't take the advice when given to you? If you want to argue about what the problem is, you shouldn't have asked for help. SSR and kastigir know what they are talking about, you should take their advice a little more seriously.

It means, why the hell would you come on here and ask opinions if you don't take the advice when given to you? If you want to argue about what the problem is, you shouldn't have asked for help. SSR and kastigir know what they are talking about, you should take their advice a little more seriously.

I guess I just wont ask for help on this forum anymore. I never get blasted like this on other forums.

Don't mean to blast you, it just doesn't make sense why you would ask for help when you have already decided what you are going to do.

I meant to say I am going to replace it to be on the safe side and to see if that fixes the problem. If it was the mainshaft bearing then I'll feel stupid for not taking there advice. Another reason I was acting like that is that I am just hoping that its the throwout bearing. I just dont want to belive its the mainshaft bearing. I always think that if I think about something that it will be that. I know that is stupid but I am just like that.

naa its just stupid asking a question that you already know, wanted other opinions wont matter, one might say, makes other members feel.. stupid

naa i think id rather tahe the ASE certified technician's advise rather then the 16 year old tuner... since they are more ..experienced

naa its just stupid asking a question that you already know, wanted other opinions wont matter, one might say, makes other members feel.. stupid

naa i think id rather tahe the ASE certified technician's advise rather then the 16 year old tuner... since they are more ..experienced

I never saw where he said his dad was ASE certified. Plus it didn't start this problem until the ASE certified technician replaced his clutch/flywheel....so +1 for the ASE technician? I think not (this time at least). I would take it to a different shop than the first time and see what they say. (unless you can make the 1st shop fix it free)

I never saw where he said his dad was ASE certified. Plus it didn't start this problem until the ASE certified technician replaced his clutch/flywheel....so +1 for the ASE technician? I think not (this time at least). I would take it to a different shop than the first time and see what they say. (unless you can make the 1st shop fix it free)

yeah but i never said he was :ph34r: if you read correctly it says about my opinion.

anyways im just saying its dumb to go on the internet and ask for opinions when you have someone that knows waht hes doing. taking a look at the thing rather then knowing every problem wihtout proper diagnositcs onboard vehical on the internet.

Well, since it's a common problem with manual Honday trannies, it'd be a safe bet. So, what happens when he replaces the throwout bearing, and the noise still persists? Is he gonna come here and blame us for giving him faulty information? One of my friends, is a Honda certified mechanic, we work on mine, and other Hondas together all the time on the side. He knows what he's doing, and having been around, working with him, I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing. But sure, don't take my advice for it. My CRX has the exact same problem, wanna know what needs to be replaced...

It takes 30 minutes to replace the ISB. You'll kick yourself in the nuts if you don't replace it.

30 minutes and $30 vs. the ISB exploding and the chunks getting caught in your gears causing them to sheer teeth....

I am ASE certified.

It takes 30 minutes to replace the ISB. You'll kick yourself in the nuts if you don't replace it.

30 minutes and $30 vs. the ISB exploding and the chunks getting caught in your gears causing them to sheer teeth....

I am ASE certified.

Is there some kind of write up?

• 1 month later...

I'll have to agree on SSR on this one, I had the same exact problem in my CRX then in my Integra...im about 90% sure this is your problem and not the throw out bearing, but hey dont come to this forum and expect people to help you out if you disregard what they tell you bro, people are taking the time to help your ass out, and its kinda rude for you to jus say well i think your wrong and im doing this anyway (even tho thats not what came out ur mouth thats your intent)...But i'll be sittin here laughing at you when you come back to tell us that it wasnt the throw out bearing and SSR just SLAPS YOU IN THE FACE WITH HIS 12in. HF DILDO lol :laugh:

I'll have to agree on SSR on this one, I had the same exact problem in my CRX then in my Integra...im about 90% sure this is your problem and not the throw out bearing, but hey dont come to this forum and expect people to help you out if you disregard what they tell you bro, people are taking the time to help your ass out, and its kinda rude for you to jus say well i think your wrong and im doing this anyway (even tho thats not what came out ur mouth thats your intent)...But i'll be sittin here laughing at you when you come back to tell us that it wasnt the throw out bearing and SSR just SLAPS YOU IN THE FACE WITH HIS 12in. HF DILDO lol :laugh:

I got the problem fixed and it was the throwout bearing.

Archived