Free Enclosure Designs. .

CBRF4i

...:::<To design a ported box>:::...

You need to know how to perform simple algebra. This assumes .75" MDF, and a slot port using one of the box walls as a port wall.

Use WinISD Pro, don't pay any attention to the driver selection or graph. They're useless. Pick an arbitrary driver.

Terms:

NET Volume: This is the volume your subwoofer actually "sees". NET volume is AFTER you subtract all displacements (port displacement, driver displacement, wood displacment, bracing, etc...).

GROSS Volume: This is total volume, including all displacements. What space the box actually takes up. This is NET Volume PLUS all displacements.

Port Area: The Width and Height of the port, multiplied together. This is 2dimensional, hence the term area.

1. Figure desired NET volume, port area, and tuning.

2. Write down max, or desired Width x Height x Depth.

3. Pick the dimension of 2 sides you want, and leave the third side as a variable. (s) Multiply the two sides together and write this off to the side.

4. Open up WinISD, and pick an arbitrary driver. Continue to ported.

5. Type in your desired box volume, this is the NET Volume, as well as desired tuning.

6. Go to vent tab, click on the circle symbol to change it to a square. (this is for slot port). Type in desired port dimensions (for desired port area). It will give you the needed port length. Write this down.

7. This is where simple algebra comes in. Take the port width and add .75" to it for the port wall. Now find out the volume of the port. Do this by multiplying: (Width(+.75) * Height * Length) / 1728 | This is your port displacement. Write this down.

8. Take your NET volume, add port displacement, add sub displacement, add any other displacements (bracing, etc.) This is you internal GROSS volume. This is how big the box needs to be internally for correct NET volume and tuning. Write this down.

9. More Algebra. You will be solving the following algrebraic equation for (s), this will give you the internal dimension of the last side (the variable you chose.) Actually, here is the equation solved for (s).

Equation:

S = (GrossVolume * 1728) / (Product of remaining two sides)

Voila. You have the internal dimensions, NET Volume, port area, port length, and tuning for your enclosure.

Now, On to the build. . . . .

...:::<Subwoofer Enclosures>:::...

I have about 200 more. . will upload them through out the week. . enjoy

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v448/phe...igns/?start=all

You can see the enclosure size in the description. .

Example: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v448/phe...ew&current=125cubes32hz21sqin4qf.jpg

After all enclosures are up on the server, i will try to sort them in order of 1-6 cu^ft and make it a little easier to navigate. . just bare with me

...:::^FIBER GLASSING^:::...

http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass/

http://www.geocities.com/stevebang2000/car-audio.html

http://hem.passagen.se/gute/Corrado/...lder/front.htm

http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/subwoofer.html

http://www.ajquick.com/cars/tutorials/fiberglass.php

http://www.gadrivers.net/~dwicker/fiberglass.html

Here are some comprehensive links of DIY tutorials i have used, or given people to guide them through their fiber glass installs. Some are for particular cars, some are for particular types of enclosures, but there is a good amount of information between all the links

IMO ported boxes FTL!!!

i think air tight boxes sound better, but hey thats just my opinion

thats because some people dont understand that you can have just as much SQ in a ported vs sealed enclosure if you know what your doing

to say they are FTL is actually just quite an ignorant statement in itself. Take my personal system for instance. I run a 18" RE SX. Would you actually recommend to me that i throw it into a sealed enclosure? and further more . . that it would sound better??

Or you could make an arguement for subs such as Adire Audio Brahma, DD950x, RE XXXX/MT, or ID MAX that even in vented enclosures tuned to specific varibles they have a flatter curve and perform better in SQ applications.

So with all that said. . and just to set the record straight. Sealed is not > Vented. The age old arguement of vented boxes are for boomy bass, and sealed boxes are to tighten the bass just dont hold true anymore. Not in todays technology.

ive had 2 ported boxes, "competition" ported boxes both souned like crap compared to the box i custom made myself (took calk and sealed all holes to make it air tight and it sounded 30X better than it did when it was ported, it went from ported: trunk rattle to air tight: trunk and door rattle )

ive only seen one sub that sounded great that was ported and it was the audiobahn super high excursion that a buddy of mine had, and the box was made especially for that sub by audiobahn. so IMO ported FTL

ive had 2 ported boxes, "competition" ported boxes both souned like crap compared to the box i custom made myself (took calk and sealed all holes to make it air tight and it sounded 30X better than it did when it was ported, it went from ported: trunk rattle to air tight: trunk and door rattle )

ive only seen one sub that sounded great that was ported and it was the audiobahn super high excursion that a buddy of mine had, and the box was made especially for that sub by audiobahn. so IMO ported FTL

couple of problems with your story here. . .

First of all. If your subs were in a ported box and it sounded like crap, dont blame the box, blame the person that made the box.

Next, you are saying that now you have sealed it you get Trunk and Door rattle and you think thats a good thing?

Finally, Im not aware of any Audiobahn sub that has EVER sounded 'GREAT' except for the aluminum's (SQ Sub) and the Immortals (not even built by (Audiobahn)

And really. . it dont sound like you custom made a box. It sounds like you took a crappy ported box, covered the holes with some wood and caulked it all the way around. That hardly counts as custom. What type of subs do you run anyway?

Next, you are saying that now you have sealed it you get Trunk and Door rattle and you think thats a good thing?

Finally, Im not aware of any Audiobahn sub that has EVER sounded 'GREAT' except for the aluminum's (SQ Sub) and the Immortals (not even built by (Audiobahn)

And really. . it dont sound like you custom made a box. It sounds like you took a crappy ported box, covered the holes with some wood and caulked it all the way around. That hardly counts as custom. What type of subs do you run anyway?

well if i go from just trunk rattle to trunk and door rattle it lets you know how much more a air tight box hits than a ported box obviously, duhr :crazy:

and listen to a audiobahn super high excursion before making assumptions about audiobahn, there are only a few subs i have heard that out beat it for the price it goes for... just go listen to it and you will be singing a different tune about audiobahn my friend :thumbsup:

as for the "custom" box, i was running two 10 inch JL W0's with a JL 500/1 series amp. then i moved on to a JL W7, and got rid of the W7 to get two 10 inch eclipse titanium cone subs, wich are great subs :thumbsup: and i still have the W0's and i traded my JL 500/1 amp for a sosche 500/1 amp that works better with the W0's :p

well if i go from just trunk rattle to trunk and door rattle it lets you know how much more a air tight box hits than a ported box obviously, duhr :crazy:

No it dont. . this just shows that you are closer to your vehicles resonant frequency in the sealed box then you are with the ported box. If you are experiencing more flex and rattle in a sealed enclosure it means that you are loosing more air pressure to the cab. And the only reason it sounds "louder" is because your subs are now playing at a flatter curve (wider range of frequencies) then they was when tuned lower in a ported enclosure. Its not necessarily louder, your ears are basically being tricked.

But even in a sealed enclosure, you would notice alot more gain in the cab if you eliminated your trunk and doors from rattling just FYI.

Sealed is not louder then ported. . the god to honest truth is that your install was incorrect.

and listen to a audiobahn super high excursion before making assumptions about audiobahn,

We will just stop right there. I have heard and installed probably every version of Audiocrap ever made. They sound like wet farts, they high excursions are bricks to move and dont get as loud as most subs in their class, and the power handling is over rated. Audiobahn is more worried about chroming their baskets and making them look pretty then they are the actual quality and build of their subs. As stated before, the only Audiobahn worth owning is the aluminum's if you can find them for cheap, or the immortals because they are not even really audiobahns. But even the immortals cost too much for what they are.

as for the "custom" box, i was running two 10 inch JL W0's with a JL 500/1 series amp. then i moved on to a JL W7, and got rid of the W7 to get two 10 inch eclipse titanium cone subs, wich are great subs :thumbsup: and i still have the W0's and i traded my JL 500/1 amp for a sosche 500/1 amp that works better with the W0's :p

I GUARANTEE that i could take any one of those subs and install them in a ported enclosure and they will be louder than you have heard them in ANY sealed enclosure. I absolutely hate JL as a company. . but i would do it just to prove the point.

I know you like off-brand stuff that's probably made for competition, but I was just wondering your honest opinion about Kicker since you despise JL.

I have 2 12" L7's running off a 1000.1 ZX

Good subs all around. I really have no problem with the subs. I think they are priced a little much for retail, but usually you can shop them for decently cheap. I dont think they are as geared for SQ as alot of people make them out to be, i like them in SPL set ups, and they are awesome for small enclosures if you have the power they need. They dont take as much abuse as alot of other subs do, thats why I personally stay away from them, but I beat on my subs pretty bad.

Amps are solid too, there is just better out there for the price.

Oh ok. I get you. I guess the pricetag goes along with being a more commonly known name brand.

What kinda music do you listen to anyways that you'd beat on your subs? Or is it just for competitions?

I listen to pretty much anything and everything so a lot of the time I keep my subs pretty low anyways. And when I DO turn them up at someone else's request, they can be deafening. I don't think I'd ever turn them all the way up without being outside of the car, using the remote, from 10 feet away. LOL.

Oh ok. I get you. I guess the pricetag goes along with being a more commonly known name brand.

What kinda music do you listen to anyways that you'd beat on your subs? Or is it just for competitions?

I listen to pretty much anything and everything so a lot of the time I keep my subs pretty low anyways. And when I DO turn them up at someone else's request, they can be deafening. I don't think I'd ever turn them all the way up without being outside of the car, using the remote, from 10 feet away. LOL.

competition for sure, but its also my daily driver

I listen to some rock, but mostly underground rap

The thing to keep in mind about me is that im a huge fan of price vs performance. In alot of cases, if you know your independent companies, you can get just as good or better for a cheaper price tag.

But even in a sealed enclosure, you would notice alot more gain in the cab if you eliminated your trunk and doors from rattling just FYI.

I GUARANTEE that i could take any one of those subs and install them in a ported enclosure and they will be louder than you have heard them in ANY sealed enclosure. I absolutely hate JL as a company. . but i would do it just to prove the point.

Yeah i was too much of a cheapass to buy dynomat, plus it added too much weight :p

oh and i got the W0's for free, plus the JL amp was free, also the the box was free( subs and amp came from a guy that owed me $150 and the box was from my neighbor).. and i got MB quart wires out of the many cars i had detailed and people said they didnt want them, so my whole setup was a total of how much the calk costed me, lol about $4 for my W0 setup... :p

I know you like off-brand stuff that's probably made for competition, but I was just wondering your honest opinion about Kicker since you despise JL.

I have 2 12" L7's running off a 1000.1 ZX

Kickers are friggin awesome :thumbsup:

competition for sure, but its also my daily driver

I listen to some rock, but mostly underground rap

The thing to keep in mind about me is that im a huge fan of price vs performance. In alot of cases, if you know your independent companies, you can get just as good or better for a cheaper price tag.

underground rap FTW

i listen to mostly old underground three six mafia when i have my bass up on my subs :)

Yeah i was too much of a cheapass to buy dynomat, plus it added too much weight :p

oh and i got the W0's for free, plus the JL amp was free, also the the box was free( subs and amp came from a guy that owed me $150 and the box was from my neighbor).. and i got MB quart wires out of the many cars i had detailed and people said they didnt want them, so my whole setup was a total of how much the calk costed me, lol about $4 for my W0 setup... :p

Kickers are friggin awesome :thumbsup:

underground rap FTW

i listen to mostly old underground three six mafia when i have my bass up on my subs :)

I listen to some 3-6 stuff just for the bass and what not. .

Im more into stuff like Cage, Atmosphere, Sage Francis, Aesop Rock, Murs, Company Flow, Illogical, Necro, etc. . . alot of the tracks dont have much bass, but nothing that the Epicenter cant fix :D

IMO ported boxes FTL!!!

i think air tight boxes sound better, but hey thats just my opinion

Yeah 1+ on that. I always have had air tight boxes and it always hit cleaner and it louder.

I wish you guys lived in florida. . we could meet up sometime and see if ported enclosures really are FTL :glare:

I live in GA 5 mins away from FLA, Where in flordia do you live? If you come up here we will be happy to show you tight sealed boxed FTW.

Yeah 1+ on that. I always have had air tight boxes and it always hit cleaner and it louder.

I live in GA 5 mins away from FLA, Where in flordia do you live? If you come up here we will be happy to show you tight sealed boxed FTW.

I live in Central Florida . . . .

Listen guys. . let me explain the misconception of 'LOUD'. In a sealed enclosure your sub is simply going to play a wider range of frequencies. Anybody can can hit high numbers off a high frequency. Its not impressive at all.

Learn to port. . . and you can hit just as high numbers, sound just as clean if you know how to stage your sound image, and hit them high numbers at 32-34 HZ instead of the crappy 48-54 hz that your sweeping on your sealed enclosure.

trust me bro, I really dont want to dive 190 miles just to prove that you cant show me anything i dont already know :thumbsup:

Sealed enclosures are for people who cant custom tune an enclosure, or find it too difficult to build ported enclosures

I live in Central Florida . . . .

Listen guys. . let me explain the misconception of 'LOUD'. In a sealed enclosure your sub is simply going to play a wider range of frequencies. Anybody can can hit high numbers off a high frequency. Its not impressive at all.

Learn to port. . . and you can hit just as high numbers, sound just as clean if you know how to stage your sound image, and hit them high numbers at 32-34 HZ instead of the crappy 48-54 hz that your sweeping on your sealed enclosure.

trust me bro, I really dont want to dive 190 miles just to prove that you cant show me anything i dont already know :thumbsup:

Sealed enclosures are for people who cant custom tune an enclosure, or find it too difficult to build ported enclosures

Oh okay, Don't worry about the drive. I was thinking you were living in like north florida. lol.

so your saying that the metal i listen to with very distinct double bass, will sound perfectly clear (assuming the sub and amp can handle it) even in a ported box? now you say that sealed boxes will trick our minds into thinking that its louder only because it' playing a broader range, yet if i listen to music that plays a broad range, like metal, wouldn't that be better? or are you saying that custom built ported subs are better because I can tune it to my personal preference? basically what i'm getting at is how do i tune my enclosure when my music has a fairly wide range of tones?

Oh okay, Don't worry about the drive. I was thinking you were living in like north florida. lol.

my father lives in Jacksonville and i visit from time to time but I never drive my truck there (not with gas the way it is). But maybe after i finish up my Maxima we can arrange a little meet :)

so your saying that the metal i listen to with very distinct double bass, will sound perfectly clear (assuming the sub and amp can handle it) even in a ported box? now you say that sealed boxes will trick our minds into thinking that its louder only because it' playing a broader range, yet if i listen to music that plays a broad range, like metal, wouldn't that be better? or are you saying that custom built ported subs are better because I can tune it to my personal preference? basically what i'm getting at is how do i tune my enclosure when my music has a fairly wide range of tones?

Well, heres the thing. Some subs simply do perform a bit better in Sealed enclosures. But these days with larger gaps in motor designs, XBL^2 technology, and lightened materials MOST subs are just as accurate in ported enclosures if not even more.

Alot of people get the false idea that the reason the output is "sluggish" is because of the port. This is not correct. Through drum rolls which usually roll off 46-52hz obviously wont be heard through a port tuned and/or cut off at 32-36hz. this is where your mids come into play.

People will typically use sealed enclosures to flatten the curve on their system to hit frequencies that are otherwise not being produced by their mids. But all you are really doing is shifting your frequency range higher and cutting your self off from lower frequencies where you are now canceling out your low end bass that you would be hearing from kick drums.

So heres the deal. You want to setup a system and stage it right? Your highs should handle your 40-110khz range, mids will typically handle your 65-27000 Hz, then you get 5-6 1/2" subwoofers and they will handle 49-62hz range.

Basically what im saying is that sealed enclosures serve more as a compensation to get more fill in the car. But if you port the enclosure and stage your mids you should be in the full spectrum and hit them higher frequencies without sparring the expense of being able to hit lows as well.

As far as sealed being louder, its simple physics. 52HZ @ 1db is louder then 32HZ @ 1db. But eventually, that 52hz will peak out. 32hz at 140db is MUCH MUCH louder then 52hz @140 db. it all comes down to tuning and powering the sub properly

I had the EXACT same setup in the EXACT same car, except the first time it was sealed, and the second time it was ported.

It was professionally done by a shop specializing in custom show/competition setups.

When they finished installing everything the second time with the ported enclosure, they were testing it in the garage in the back of the shop.

I could hear it out in the front of the shop, and when I heard how loud (and low) it was, I assumed they were testing someone else's car. I had never heard my own subs perform that way in the sealed enclosure they had previously installed.

First Setup - Sealed

DVC00148.jpg

Second Setup - Ported (on the left)

IMG_1500.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived