Advice on buying a car

kur1j

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

The two cars I have picked out are the Honda Accord EX Coupe (prefer standard v-6 but will deal with automagic) and the RSX - Type S. The downside to the Type S is the use of high grade gas. The downside to the accord is it is a more "sluggish" car than the RSX. The upside IMO to the RSX from what I have read it has a lot more pep than the accord but the downside is it has a really small backseat. The upside to the v-6 accord is it has "enough" pep and has a lot bigger backseat as it is more designed to be a 4dr.

I know your probably thinking "oh great another ricer", well I am not thinking of doing anything to either of these cars. I want a dependable car with enough pep to be worth while to drive.

I am looking to buy used as I feel that buying new is such a waste due to the depreciation of the vehicle. So what should I avoid when I am looking for a used car. How would I go about checking the car out to make sure something is wrong with it.

To me I found some faily decent prices but the first thing comes to mind is "what is wrong with it"

2002 Acura RSX - Type S:

$12,800

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?t...30&aff=national

2003 Honda Accord EX V-6 Auto

$13,995

9000 miles

2003 Honda Accord EX V-6 Auto

$14,900

18,265 Miles

2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl Auto

30000 miles

2003 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl Auto

6,143 miles

$5,900

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...ist=1198#vdptop

What could be wrong with the car? There has to be something wrong with it. Please help a "n00bie" car byier.

If you buy the Accord V6 with manual transmission, it will have more "pep" than the RSX Type S. About 60 more horses.

I am kinda confused as I see on this site the RSX type S does 0-60 in 6.7 sec. The accord v-6 does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...901/pageId=6009

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...56/pageId=57516

I am kinda confused as I see on this site the RSX type S does 0-60 in 6.7 sec. The accord v-6 does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds.

Did you happen to notice that the Accord was running the 5 speed automatic? Find some stats with the 6 speed manual, and I'd be willing to bet the Accord is as quick. That was also the Accord Sedan, not the Coupe.

Did you happen to notice that the Accord was running the 5 speed automatic? Find some stats with the 6 speed manual, and I'd be willing to bet the Accord is as quick. That was also the Accord Sedan, not the Coupe.

Do you think the MT would make that big of difference? I only saw a 30-100lb difference in weight between the coupe and the sedan.

Well right now I am seeing on a different write up that it will do 0-60 in 7.0 seconds the other write up says 7.5. I dont get it. So you are probably right.

Ok, the RSX has 200HP, 142 Foot/Lbs of torque. The Accord has 240HP and 212 Foot/Lbs of torque. That's a huge difference. Think of HP as the power, and torque as the % of power to the wheels. And yes, the MT will make a large difference because you don't lose as much HP in the drivettrain.

I would run those vins through some place like carfax. I have heard that you pay one price for a year and can run as many cars through it or of course you can pay per time you use it. If you go through a dealership you may get a lower rate than buying through your local bank plus if its a Honda dealership they have Honda Certified used cars.

As for the RSX or Accord its just a matter of opinion. I bought a brand new 03 Accord 4 Cyl Coupe at the end of 03 and got a really good deal on it although the selection was limited and I was stuck with an automatic. I have been really happy with it and I have had it for 22,500 mi. One fact I found on the forums was that the automatic 4 Cyl 160 HP Accord 2 dr beat out a manual 4 Cyl 200 HP TSX. I will have to find the thread again cause I don't recall if it was the 1/4 mi or 0-60 times. For the price I couldn't beat the 4 Cyl Accord although I do think I should have held out, saved up some more and gotten the V6. Although the sticker was well over $26K.

I am not sold on the ads you gave links for. For one, I have seen used 2 dr Accords on the lot I bought my car at for $17500 - $20000. Second, I just looked up my car on Edmunds and they said trade in would be 15830 and selling it private party would be $17066. One of the ads you posted may have been a typo but I saw the one on Autotrader at 22,000. Good luck with your decision.

On paper, the RSX is a win, but drive them both. who gives a @#$^% about numbers if you don't like the car ;) I didn't like the RSX-s....i actually preferred driving my civic for the $. The accord is a nice car, but it feels like a bigger car. Really gotta drive them and make your own decision. All that you listed are worth the $ if the title is clear

Funny......horsepower and torque are not the only things that make a difference with how quick a car is.....The Accord is a lot heavier than the RSX so the hp/weight probably evens out and might even give an advantage to the RSX. A 400 hp semitruck wouldn't beat an S2000 just because it has 160 more hp.

Funny......horsepower and torque are not the only things that make a difference with how quick a car is.....The Accord is a lot heavier than the RSX so the hp/weight probably evens out and might even give an advantage to the RSX. A 400 hp semitruck wouldn't beat an S2000 just because it has 160 more hp.

True, but a semi truck is several thousand pounds heavier, and the Accord is only 700. They're going to be alot closer in comparison thatn you think. Also, I'm not sure but they did start making Accords with 260HP VTECS. If he can find one of those, it would be as fast, if not faster than an RSX Type-S.

True, but a semi truck is several thousand pounds heavier, and the Accord is only 700. They're going to be alot closer in comparison thatn you think. Also, I'm not sure but they did start making Accords with 260HP VTECS. If he can find one of those, it would be as fast, if not faster than an RSX Type-S.

I have never seen a 260HP accord, could you explain more about them? I just know about the v-6 240HP accord.

As for liking both cars both of them I really like. I have drive the I4 coupe accord and love it :).

As for a clear title what does it mean when the thing says "Salavaged Title"

I have never seen a 260HP accord, could you explain more about them? I just know about the v-6 240HP accord.

The last year or 2 before the new bodystyle, they made what they called the Accord EX V6 MT. It was a 260HP V6 VTEC with a 6 speed manual. Probably out of your price range, but if you can swing it...well worth it.

A salvagde title usually means the car was considered a total loss for one reason or another. Typically bad wrecks, flood damage, etc... Best to stay away from them unless you know the cars history. My Civic has a slavaged title, but I know it was only a moderate wreck that the other guys insurance company just didn't wanna pay out on.

Yeah just as kastigir stated in the previous post - salvaged means trouble. I would stay as far away from it as you can.

ahhh ok. Well the way my mom described it to me was that something actually happend to the title, as in it was burnt in a fire or the title was physically damaged and had to be replaced meaning that nothing was wrong with the car. Oh well gotta love mom, she didnt seem all that positive on it anyways.

As for my price range, I am looking between 13-18k. 18 being the ABSOLUTE max.

They started it in 2003, the first year of the new generations. Right now around me they're in the 20k range retail.If you could possibly find a deal on one around 18 if you look private party sales. They're booked around 17500.

For that price range, get a 6th gen Civic SI and have some $ to mod it to your tastes. the B16(DOHC VTEC, 160hp) is a good powerplant for you and you can throw on an exhaust, header, intake, shifter, suspension and have a damn fun car.

100 lbs either direction will give the same results as 10hp either direction, so being 700 lbs heavier the accord would need 70 hp more than the RSX type S and it only has 40...... my point was that you weren't considering the weight difference in your comparison, and weight does make a difference. 700lbs is ALOT of weight when coming to cars. For example, look at the Lotus Elise compared, to a stock Celica GTS. Same motor, same hp, but about 700 lbs lighter and the elise will hang with STI's and Evo's. So weight makes a huge difference.

I agree with XScaraudio, get a 6th gen Civic SI and turbo it. I've seen some of those with around 40,000 miles for around 11,000.00. Hell there's a guy on the forums trying to sell one with a full turbo setup, internal work on the motor and more, for 19,000 negotiable, PM him.

I agree with XScaraudio, get a 6th gen Civic SI and turbo it. I've seen some of those with around 40,000 miles for around 11,000.00. Hell there's a guy on the forums trying to sell one with a full turbo setup, internal work on the motor and more, for 19,000 negotiable, PM him.

right on

Not trying to be rude but I do not like the Civic, honestly I do not like the old accords but the new body style (03-05) of the accord i LOVE. The new 2005 civic is not bad but I do not want to own one. If I had the money I would buy a Acura TL and be done with it but I do not see my self having the money for a 35k dollar TL any time soon.

As for buying a Civic and "turboing" the civic, that is totally out of the question. When or if I buy an accord I will leave it stock. I see it this way, if i can spend 3-5k dollars more on a turbo/engine work why not spend the money on a bigger/better vehicle.

Sorry to add this but this is a prime example of the fugliest civic I have seen. The RSX to me is border very close to a border line ugly hatchback, but the front end of it makes up for it.

http://www.auto-sfondi-desktop.com/Wallpap...c-SI-04_800.jpg

Yeah, no kidding. If you're not crazy about the RSX then you'd be crazy to buy one in my opinion. You should find a car that you are crazy about and buy that. As for the TL, (like you mentioned) completely different price range. Although, my favorite car for the upper 20,xxx price range is the Subaru Legacy GT. Drove one from the dealer about a month ago. Tons of luxury but that thing hauls pretty good with the turbo setup and allwheel drive. Personally I'd rather have that and 7,000.00 in my bank, than a TL. The Legacy GT looks very sexy too IMO.

Yeah, no kidding.  If you're not crazy about the RSX then you'd be crazy to buy one in my opinion.  You should find a car that you are crazy about and buy that.  As for the TL, (like you mentioned)  completely different price range.  Although, my favorite car for the upper 20,xxx price range is the Subaru Legacy GT.  Drove one from the dealer about a month ago.  Tons of luxury but that thing hauls pretty good with the turbo setup and allwheel drive.  Personally I'd rather have that and 7,000.00 in my bank, than a TL.  The Legacy GT looks very sexy too IMO.

I wouldnt have asked about the RSX if i didnt like it :). My only complaint about the RSX is I do not care for the ass end of it all that much. It looks a lot better than some but doesnt look as good as some. If someone layed out a set of choices between the accords and the RSX it would end up like this:

1. V-6 EX 6-speed accord coupe

2. RSX Type-S

3. V-6 accord Auto coupe

4. RSX

5. I4 accord coupe 5-speed

6. I4 accord coupe auto

The thing with me looking at different cars is I know Honda/Toyota's will work. We have a Toyota truck with 140k miles on it and it keeps purring like a kitten. All my friends are like "DUDE buy a CHEVY" but 20 min later they are bitching that there parents/their car is falling apart and how big of pos it is. Reliablity durabilty play a huge role in me buying a car and I know that Honda/Toyota produce reliable and durable products.

Archived