Daily drivers?

DrumProdigy83

Hey guys, I have been checking out the S2000 quite a bit lately and was just wondering how many of you guys own it as your only car? I want to buy a car for myself after I graduate college - I want something fun but liveable. I don't ever go racing or anything like that, and I don't have kids or need much room so the S2000 would work for me. It would be my only car. You guys recommend it, or should I only buy it as a secondary / weekend car? FYI, I am also considering a new (2004+) Acura TL - it's a lot different from the S2000 I know lol, but it is a car I know I could live with every day and love. :) Thanks for your help guys.

profiles2000 used to have it as his only car... but with new jersey / new york winters, he got a daily driver (that and having to keep it parked at the train station)

I personally would have an S2K as a weekend/fun car. Keeping a Civic or Accord as a daily driver. Your location would make a difference as well. If you live in a more temperate area, you could get away with using a S2K as a daily driver, but certainly not anywhere you get any kind of snowfall.

^

and if you were in an area with little theft, or where you knew the car would be alright at all times (while at work, etc)

Yea that's kind of what I figured. It doesn't snow here a whole lot, but in winter it does snow from time to time. Theft is something you have to worry about no matter what you drive. An exotic or something that is less common would be more likely to stand out if it were stolen, so having a more common car would make me a little more worried.

I guess I'll just stick with the TL ;) Thanks for the replies girls. :)

• 2 months later...

SOME PEEPLE ARE SAYIN DONT DAILY DRIVE THE S2K CUZ WETHER AND TEHFT AND crap. BUT I LIVE IN LONG ISLAND NEW YORK AND MY FRIENDS DAD BOUGHT AN S2K AS HIS DAILY DRIVER. THAT crap FLIES LOL I LOVE THAT CAR, AND HES GOT KIDS AN crap BUT ITS STILL RELIABLE AND LIKE A GOOD DAILY DRIVER YA KNOW HAHA THUMBS UP BRO BUY THAT

I agree....can't beat a reliable sports car that gets good gas milage.

except that:

a. it's rear wheel drive

b. it's a sports car

add in a new york winter, and you do the math.

other than snow, the car is great year-round

I had a rear drive in the snow and it was terrible. Plus chains on your tires would be real cool when you got into town where the roads were plowed (cl-clunk, cl-clunk). I guess it really depends on how bad of a winter it is...but New York winter I wouldn't want a rear drive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
SOME PEEPLE ARE SAYIN DONT DAILY DRIVE THE S2K CUZ WETHER AND TEHFT AND crap. BUT I LIVE IN LONG ISLAND NEW YORK AND MY FRIENDS DAD BOUGHT AN S2K AS HIS DAILY DRIVER. THAT crap FLIES LOL I LOVE THAT CAR, AND HES GOT KIDS AN crap BUT ITS STILL RELIABLE AND LIKE A GOOD DAILY DRIVER YA KNOW HAHA THUMBS UP BRO BUY THAT

where in the hell does that have anything to do with it being reliable in the snow or it being stolen.. you said ur friend's dad got one but then u just went on about how it flies.. see what i mean.. dont say anything before you think about what you're talking about. and take ur damn caps lock off.

• 1 month later...
Hey guys, I have been checking out the S2000 quite a bit lately and was just wondering how many of you guys own it as your only car? I want to buy a car for myself after I graduate college - I want something fun but liveable. I don't ever go racing or anything like that, and I don't have kids or need much room so the S2000 would work for me. It would be my only car. You guys recommend it, or should I only buy it as a secondary / weekend car? FYI, I am also considering a new (2004+) Acura TL - it's a lot different from the S2000 I know lol, but it is a car I know I could live with every day and love. :) Thanks for your help guys.

I have a Miata as a daily driver in Chicago... With snow tires (in my case Nokian Hakka Q's), I think the car rocks... Certainly can out accelerate anything w/ all season tires and ice and snow. Acceleration is only part of the equation though... it's the stopping that has made me the believer. Panic stopping in foul weather is phenominal.

The only issue I've heard is if the snow gets deeper than 12-18" .. somewhere in that range, because these cars are so low to the ground you end up pushing the snow and you aren't going to get very far.

In the case of the S2000 specifically, keeping it out of vtech in any type of nasty weather, I would think, would be imperative.

Good Luck,

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Archived