jdm ecu for the ls worth it?

amateurteg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well i already have an ls block. my car came with the ls motor (b18b1), and i found a place here in dallas called intercrew( anyone konw anything about them?), and they said that they could do the conversion for $1650, thats including all the parts and labor, i just drop it off and they do everyting, now i dont know if thats a good price or not, but people say taht if its built right, its by far the best motor, even better than the type-r, and i konw that turbos cost like $2500 just for the kit, so for me, the ls/vtec would be cheaper, but i could always just do turbo, but i think you could get more out of an ls/vtec that has a turbo though.

for $1650, I wouldn't trust it at all. you should spending atleast that much in parts alone. I know your car came with a B18B as I'm not an idiot and have a similar swap in my del Sol.

if you're going to have the motor apart, you might as well upgrade just about everything. it's not going to be cheap if it's done right. here are a few questions you should ask the shop.

1. what rod bolts are they going to use?

2. what oil pump are they going to use?

3. will they drill an oil passage or run an external oil line?

4. what pistons will they use?

5. what ECU will they use?

ask the shop these questions and then post them on here.

Bigbirdsucks, this doesnt come with rods or pistons or cams or anything like that, this is just for the head, gasket, conversion kit, and anything necessary just to make the swap, anything else i want will be extra, like the shop, intercrew, said that if i i wanted a jdm gsr tranny, it would be an extra $1100. but ill ask what all their ls/vtect conversion comes with, and then ill tell you, and maybe if you could tell me if i need anything else, because intercrew has a reputation thats like, some people like them, and says their stuff works well, and others say that its not.

...this doesnt come with rods or pistons or cams or anything like that, this is just for the head, gasket, conversion kit...

right, it should not come with pistons...it shoudl come wiht a COMPLETE head, which means you WILL need vtec cams, you will not be using the same ones that are on your car right now.

james

don't ask them what the kit comes with. ask the the exact questions I told you to and then let us know.

so, they're going to use LS pistons? JUNK

trust me when I tell you to NOT cheap out and half ass this. just ask them and report back. we can't help you until then.

would you care to explain why ls pistons are 'junk'? its on oem build, are you suggesting to go aftermarket?

also all of this is honda/oem replacement, there is no 'junk' anywhere! the head will come off another civic/gsr...etc...

amateurteg:

1. what rod bolts are they going to use? - oem will work fine, you will probably need rod bolts that match the head your using. but ARP makes the best aftermarkets

2. what oil pump are they going to use? i dont see why the stock pump wouldnt perform well, although you MIGHT need to get one that comes on an oem doch vtec motor.

3. will they drill an oil passage or run an external oil line? internal oil passages will work just fine for something ~oem

4. what pistons will they use? use oem

5. what ECU will they use? gsr ecu, civic si ecu, type R, unless anyone can confirm that any of these do not just plug right in

james

LS pistons would be junk in an LS-VTEC because the compression is too low. I know how to build LS-VTEC and CR-VTEC and what parts should be used, but I don't see an LS-VTEC being built right if it's only $1600. if you use LS rod bolts, they'll strip. a GS-R oil pump must be used. but what do I know? I only have a CR-VTEC del Sol...

why not boost on this motor?!? torquey and reliability of this bottom end, with the topend power of a vtec head?!?

james

are you serious? to get good numbers from an LS-VTEC you need higher compression. to get good numbers from a turbo you need lower compression. a low compression LS-VTEC would be pointless. having VTEC and a turbo is pointless. it would also involve a lot more pointless tuning.

if you're going to go boost, get an LS motor.

are you serious? to get good numbers from an LS-VTEC you need higher compression. to get good numbers from a turbo you need lower compression. a low compression LS-VTEC would be pointless. having VTEC and a turbo is pointless. it would also involve a lot more pointless tuning.

if you're going to go boost, get an LS motor.

LS motor...we should be refering to this as the block its built on. the head doesnt necessarly have anything to do with this argument on what motor can handle the boost. so the motor can handle the power no matter what head is on the car. (besides some good head studs to hold the head down for ppl making lots of boost, atleast by the time your running ~25psi)

agreed higher compression going N/A good thing!

agreed lower compression is prefered when running boost, doesnt mean you cant boost at all. you can get a thick head gasket. ~1.2mm 1.6mm gasket to help lower compression slightly. and if you go aftermarket pistons, choose accordingly for the turbo application.

'having a VTEC and a turbo is pointless'....you must be joking. i would love to see you talk your way out of this. kenny tran has been running vtec head on his race car for over 5 years. its just slightly more aggressive cam lobe that increases valve overlap at very high rpms. which is something you fight when you start to boost. which is when you pick the right cams you want to run...264, 272...etc...

and pointless tuning, what about tuning up a car in any way, is pointless?

http://www.atsracing.net/nicks%20intetgra%20type%20R.htm

you can go to the website or read the next paragraph, i have used this car many times for reference on the board. stock bottom end Type R integra. 22~24psi, also watch how the hp CLIMBS when the vtec engages :thumbsup: . i have a video of this car racing a viper, and another racing a twin turbo calloway vette. i will post in the video section but i need someone to host!

ATS Racing installed the 3" exhaust, the customer supplied manifold, GReddy Profec B Spec 2 boost controller, modified the downpipe and installed the HUGE front mount intercooler. ATS also specified and installed the custom T3/T4 turbocharger (actually its mostly T4 internals wedged into T3/T4 housings). Based on our suggestions Nick recently purchased a different ignition system (MSD 6AL to replace the higher end, but defective MSD Digital 6) and a Hondata ECU. The car was tuned on our Dynojet 248C. The results were extraordinary! Running a stock bottom end and 93 octane pump gas the Integra put down 424 hp to the front wheels.

nicks1.gif

nick2.jpg

james

well, im actually thinking about doing the ls vtec because of its reputation, but people say (BigBirdSucks) says i can half ass it and be cheap, that if i want it done, then i should pay for the best parts to do it right or esle the motor wont run at optimum level. I know this will cost a lot, and then when i put a turbo on,i konw that that will run me anywhere from 2.5g to 4g, and being 16 and having a job at jack in the box doesnt help. lol. but still im trying to get the conversion done, ive asked those questions, but the guy i talked to said that he had to get back with me beacuse he didnt know. im suppposed to call him today, and i will let u know.

P.S. my car has been acting up lately, it kinda knocks when i first start it up in the cold, when i pull the throttle, it kinda sounds like something clicking in sync with the sound of the motor, my auto tech teacher said that it could be a piston slap, or my lifters need to be adjusted, and he said that he heard some "top end", What does that mean?? i hope its nothing serious, he said that it probably isnt since none of my power has been affected, and everything still works fine, but im a cautious person, and i like to catch these things before they get any worse, anything will help, thankx. amateurteg

nope, i think the guys name is nick, he is in dfw. He had the work/tuning listed on the website done at Atsracing.net. that shop specializes in toyota mr2s, but they have many other projects, all-trac celica, mkIII supras, the type R i posted earlier, 350z...etc...

like i said i have a nice video of this car racing 40-160mph if i can get a host... :wub:

james

you all are right. I have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about. I don't have any experience in building engines at all and don't have friends boosted Hondas and I'm not friends with a guy that boosts Hondas daily and doesn't deal with high HP cars.

so, go ahead and halfass your LS-VTEC build. the guy you want building it doesn't know what parts to use? you should be throwing the red flag up at that point.

like I said...what would I know? I only HAVE a CR-VTEC motor....a friend of mine has a boosted '92 LS integra that's pushing out over 400 whp. with his new setup he'll be pushing more than that....but what do I know? I just deal with it on a daily basis.

Archived