Engine Swap Help

keffreg

Hey everyone,

I am new to this board and the owner of a 1994 Civic DX. I have put a ton of money into my stock engine :crazy: only to find out it's not fast enough. I was thinking of doing a engine swap and i hear that the b16a sIr II is the best. Could somone educate me on what would be the best thing to do to my car. I was also thinking of just swaping the motor and droping a turbo on it.

P.S. engine mods: headers,intake,exhaust,cam,cam gear,chip,short shifter,lowerd,camber kit basicly all my mods not to much bleh

I think an engine swap should have been your first priority. Engine selection is really your choice. B16's are good, but a little displacementally challenged. I'd go with a B18C1 (GS-R) motor. More torque and REALLY good for turbocharging.

Thanx for that info how good is that b18c if i dont turbo charge the engine ? would a b16 be better ? i have heard alot of people chooseing the b16 over the b18 any reason for that ? I am just trying to learn some facts so I dont waist money thanx a ton

The B18C1 puts out a little more than the B16. I think around 175HP or 180HP. That's versus the B16's 160HP. It's better than the B16 powerwise, but it's your preference that matters. That Civic would kill though with the GS-R engine.

b18c1 bhp is 170hp

b16a3 bhp is 160hp

b16a2 bhp is 160hp

jdm b18c bhp is 180hp

jdm b16a sirI bhp is 160hp

jdm b16a sirII bhp is 170hp

does anyone know what wich is heavier and do u know if i can do more with one engine then i can with the other ? I am trying to understand why people choose b16 over b18 when the 18 is more power . if you could just school me thanx you guys are great and super helpfull

most people choose the b16 due to cost and availability. gsr's are harder to come by (especially for legit ones), and will run around 3500 for the swap.

save up for a b18c1 and get lsd( not the drug ..but if you can get that let me now cause I'm dry over here!)..then later down the road put a turbo on it :thumbsup:

hmotorsonline.com

how many times have I reccomeded them? lol I should get paid by them! :laugh:

well..............first let me ask you what you plan on doing with your motor. Do you want a n/a setup or F.I. This can all make a difference on what motor would be the best to swap into your car. Oh.................SEARCH is your friend so use it and find out what is out there first.:thumbsup:

If you want lowend get the D16Y8 head

If you want topend get the D16Z6 head

Head and pistons would get you 20-40hp depending on what CR you go with.

can somone tell me why the d16y8 has better bottomend and why the z8 has better top end ?

Actually what they're referring to is price/quality of them? Or perhaps HP/torque numbers related to RPM range?

can somone tell me why the d16y8 has better bottomend and why the z8 has better top end ?

Y8 head has curved dividers in the intake ports for better mileage which kills topend power.

Z6 head has straight dividers in the intake ports.

Also, the combustion chambers are different. Y8 has larger quench pads so it is more resistent to detonation. Z6 has a "sqaure" combustion chamber so it will yield a higher CR with same pistons than a Y8 would.

Are the engiens you're building going to have a Z6 head with a Y8 Block? I've read that the Z6 (like you've said already) performs better when modded compared to the Y8 as far as heads go. That was redundant wasn't it?

Everyone on this forum who wants to mod their engine isn't going to be doing any kind of racing except for Street Racing. So stop asking. Nobody here is going to be doing HPDE or Le Mans style driving with a car they're going to ask for help with here. Just not enough people, with too little money. There may be some exceptions, but I have yet to see someone making a post asking about what kind of buildup they should use for a Honda Challenge car on this site.

Well I am going to be doing street racing if I do any and I will probly go to the track and hit up the quarter mile sometimes. I think from what all you guys are saying i should go with the Y8 head or just get a b16c1 swap wich is a 5grand job so I am trying to stay away from that and get what i can out of my engine. so if i get a Y8 head swap cost around 600-1000 I should get a little better low end if I am not wrong what else can I put on my todo list ? you guys have been super helpful and I thank all of you

Actual Street racing sucks, but I myself would like an occasional stoplight or freeway battle, but only within limits. I WONT go anything past 60 in a 35 zone...ever. I most likely wouldn't go past 100 on the freeway unless im on I5 (long ass road in CA). Im in it all for acceleration, and I think an improved FD and a loarger displacement would help.

As for keffreg: Swapping the head will not really give you all that much power off the bat, in fact, you most likely won't be able to tell much of a difference at all. The point however, is that you would then have a much better base to work with for modding.

Archived