Carbon Fibeer question?

dawrenn

I was wondering if there is any way to fix carbon fiber. I got a CF and when I looked at it I saw that the corners at the back of the hood are chipped. I think it happend during shipping. Is there any way to fix this?

wMzc3MjI3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg

wMzc3MjI4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg

what manufacturer made the hood? where did you buy it from? and how was it shipped?

most manufacturers will provide a replacement in exchange for yours. it also depends on how long you've had it, etc.

what manufacturer made the hood? where did you buy it from? and how was it shipped?

most manufacturers will provide a replacement in exchange for yours. it also depends on how long you've had it, etc.

VIS made the hood. I got it on Ebay. It was shipped through Greyhound. I just got it today.

Send VIS an email.

If they won't replace it, you can always buy some resin and carbon fiber tape but it won't be pretty.

I don't think they will replace it. I did not buy it from them, I bought it from a private seller. If I got the resin and carbon fiber tape how exactly would I fix it? I really don't care if it looks good I just want it to be fixed.

You'll cut the tape to fit, then wrap it. Add the resin and let it sit for two weeks. Then if it looks too sloppy, sand the resin to shape. Then take it to a body shop and have the spot clear coated.

You'll cut the tape to fit, then wrap it.  Add the resin and let it sit for two weeks.  Then if it looks too sloppy, sand the resin to shape.  Then take it to a body shop and have the spot clear coated.

Why would you have to wait 2 weeks? My dad repaired the hood with fiberglass resin. He just had to wait until it dried.

Depends on where you live. They MIGHT be plastics store arounf, like where I live there is a place called TAP Plastics nearby. Search around for a local retailer that sells epoxy or resin or plastics. crap, home depot (aren't they national?) sells resins and epoxies I think.

i make pieces out of carbon/kevlar and it only takes about 12 to 24 hours to dry, ive never had to wait more than 24 hours before i was able to sand the resin. the resin i use is the exact same resin for plain carbon fiber also

i buy my stuff at TAP plastic also.

It was funny, one of the employees there actually took me around the store and gave me a 45 min lecture on how to lay CF, and which, why and what kinds of resin to use vs. epoxy. It was like a free polymer class.

• 4 months later...

Archived