D15B Engine swap having issues. Suggestions needed.

So im new on here obviously, so greetings.

Here is what I have going on.

I have a classic mini, with an engine swap of a D15B VTEC engine.

I was having some issues with high idle, but they where not terrible. I was driving on the highway and a noticeable loss of power occurred, all at once. I then limped her home. The engine boggs down when gas is applied and it seems to be running rich. I cleaned the Idle air control valve, as suggested by a different forum. This brought down the idle (from around 5-6000 Rpm!!) to normal. Now to sort out the issue of acceleration cutting power.

If this helps there is a video of the engine not having it on acceleration. I thought it may be a coded or ECU issue but i would like to rule out mechanical prior to committing to tuning.

thanks

josh

I have a jdm d15b vtec in my 97 hatch. I think I was having a similar problem with a lack of acceleration going up hills or being somewhat sluggish start in first gear. Also pedal felt a little loose. So i changed my throttle cable and now I have the response that I was missing out on. Not sure if this is the same problem as to what your having. But I changed my cable for 18 bucks and maybe 15 - 20 mins of install since being first time changing one. Hope this helps at all.

Does it otherwise idle fine?

Loss of power over idle is often linked to obstructed exhaust systems (i.e. bad catalytic convertor) or damaged O2 sensors. Since you are running a hybrid vehicle I don't know how much of the civic systems you have in place so it's a bit tough to troubleshoot.

Well, next steps involve checking timing and distributor. The rubber timing belt can skip a tooth and distributors are prone to attrition faster then any other part of the engine.

Is you modified ECU delete the need for O2 sensors? a bad sensor can cause somewhat similar symptoms.

I am guessing your ECU and engine are of the OBD1 variety as that would make for a much less complicated swap. By default OBD1 engines require input from one oxygen sensor before the catalytic convertor. As noted: your ECU might have been reprogrammed to ignore that input or to spoof the signal. Or this problem has nothing to do with the O2 sensor and it doesn't matter anyway.

Screeching could be the distributor bearings. Pull the cap and see if it isn't filled with metal shavings and dust.

I was out of ideas/ patience, i brought to my local tuner $187 later problem solved. It was some air intake sensor failure making the engine think it was running cold so it kicked up the rpms to give it some warmth or something. weird. It was much cheaper than i had thought it would be, Thanks for all the input guys.

Archived