Bilstein shocks brutal loud

Interceptor

Hello, new guy on the forum here.

Got a '97 del Sol VTEC. The ride was getting rough so I thought I'll do something good and get some new shocks.

Ordered the Bilstein HD set from the Tire Rack for $116 each.

First odd thing was that the rear shocks did not want to go through the springs with the blue rubber cover.

So the mech asked me if he should use the old Honda ones. We did.

Testdriving I noticed several changes:

1st. The ride is louder and rougher than before with my old, 14 year old shocks

2nd. Bruttally loud sound from the rear, especially left side, anytime I hit a bump at slow to medium speed. Sounds like metal to metal shattering.

3rd. Rubbing sound from the left front side at full left steering input at low speed.

4th. The steering, handling, braking on a smooth road is very much improved. Feels good and makes fun to drive - until

the next impact noise at the next bump.

I went back to the shop which put them in for me and took the mech for a test drive. He acted like everything was normal. Told me I need new springs, not shocks to improve the ride for these lousy streets where the car is at now. That would be an additional $300 for labor (same as putting the shocks in) plus costs of the springs of course.

The first mech told me the opposite, I need new shocks, the springs are fine...

I am ready to call the Tire Rack to see what we can do about this, not happy with the outcome.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any replies.

harder shocks will be louder, but metal on metal is NOT normal. its probably the dust covers hitting the shocks. the mechanic was probably some punk kid who didn't know what he was talking about. if they already broke all the bolts loose, you can do it with very little tools. jump under your car and look to see if you can see any metal on metal. id guess the boot is hitting on the shock or they didn't tighten something right.

I'd say he fracked up putting the isolaters on actually.. but it still shouldn't make that much noise

the dust covers are normally pretty soft rubber and wouldn't make that much noise

my next guess would be the top bolt was not torqued probably which is allowing things like the spring to move around

i didn't even thing about the isolators... that would make perfect sense... washers but no bushings... they would clank very loud.

i have a set of the metal ones in the garage, i wanna paint them some random color :p

Archived