dash removal

auto trimmer

93 and some 94s had seal recalls, look at the seals on the car above the visors, id thers little nipples, its a newer seal.

It could fix leaks, but the new ones might be just as bad. Also you might need to adjust the targa for a solid seal.

ok, start by removing the center console (you gotta pull the shift knob, 2 screws up front, 2 in back) next pull the panel below the steering wheel (i think its only 2 screws, may be 3), next pull the glove box, open it and on each side there is little stops, rotate those and drop the glove box all the way down, there is a screw at each hinge (can be gotten to with the glovebox closed. now, there is a bolt on each outside of the dash, 1 in the top center, then remove the 2 bolts that you made appear. (one on the outside of where the glovebox sat, and one on the outside above the clutch pedal.) finally there is a few bolts under where the center console was. that is all the hardware removed. then is the wiring, those seem to change locations every time someone plays with a dash, so i can't give you great dirrection on that.

if you drop the steeringwheel down, the dash will slide right out.

thanks for all info. I have added washers for locks on targa top. I haven't adjusted the targa top itself yet. also I plan to add foam to targa. this way I can make a design on targa panel. give it a unique finish. also the seats will be recovered. tip for others. you can steam the old covers to remove fabric from frames. leaves bare foam.then you can repair foam,s. such as driver bolster( driver back). I have installed leather covers on these cars , when they were new cars. David

fixing foam is not hard. you first need to remove any loose foam in area. then you will need a piece of foam ( fabric supply store) . you take the foam and cut to size of damaged area. make sure that the foam has density. you need the piece to be some what larger than damaged area. you will then spray adhesive to damaged area and new foam. let dry till glue is somewhat tacky.give 5 or so minutes.you will then place new foam in damaged area. slowly work into damaged area. the trick is to have foam placed inside area and fit like original piece. by being larger than damaged area. the foam should not collapse and leave firm filled area. . next you use sew foam. this is foam that is usually 1 inch thick. this is the foam used for seat covers. you will need to cut a piece of sew foam as large as front of seat (back rest). the purpose is to glue sew foam to back rest and pad damaged area. this will leave a smooth , comfortable area. after applying glue and fixing sew foam to back rest. the sew foam needs to be trimmed . look at the seat and determine where the original seams for cover are located. to do this. look at oppsite seat and find where cloth and vinyl meet on cover.after you have area cut to where cover seams are located. you will need to take a razor blade and edges need to be cut at angle . you want a beveled edge of sew foam at where seams of cover meet. I hope I haven't confused you. if you have any more questions about process. ask away. also after reading how to remove dash. I going to recover dash too. all it will take is time ,glue, vinyl , steamer and stretching pliers. I almost forgot this . if you can get a steamer for clothes or iron that puts out alot of steam. steam the damaged area of foam . this will make foam rise to original shape. do this before you repair damaged area. wal-mart has cheap versions. you could buy one , use it and return to wal-mart. tell them you weren't happy. any other questions fire away. David

before you try joann fabrics. try to locate a upholstery fabric store. this will be the place trimmers purchase goods. they will be more knowledgable. joann is for more crafts and lighter used goods. plus the staff is not knowledgable about auto trim needs. i know this from experience. also give ebay a chance.type upholstery foam. you can also use 1/2 inch sew pleating foam for outside wrap. also they have blocks that can be cut to size. use a large kitchen knife to contour shape of foam block. also 3 m spray glue will work for you. David

remember your are just trying to replicate original look. dont waste money on neoprene. soon i will do same thing to my driver seat. also I will add felt to bottom cushion.this will go under foam to lift off bottom frame. this will make bottom cushion more firm. try to do this cost effective. if you take to trim shop, they will do same method. if you have any more ?'s fire away. David

went to look at car with newer seals. seals were crap. dash was perfect. I have changed my mind on covering dash. also got fender for 50.00. bought some dielectric grease to condition seals. also changed torx screws that hold visor assembly. those screws are made of soft metal. went to home depot and purchased socket cap screws( allen head screws). this will stop loose visor assembly. if anyone else has problem. look for socket cap screws M5-.8x16mm. next i will adjust targa top. thanks again Raley for help.

ive tried the dielectric grease before it works okay, but the best shit ive used has been the actual shinetsu grease (you can get it form the stealership for an arm and a leg, or get it on ebay for about $10)

• 2 weeks later...

well i have the dash removed. I had a problem. I didn't anticipate the dash dropping so fast. I now have a small nick in dash. now I'm disassembling the dash to cover. I'm only having one issue. the plastic piece with vin # will not seperate from dash. I have the front seperated,but rear plastic piece is tight. dont wont to crack rear piece. are the pieces hot glued or plastic welded together. this is my last hurdle. I plan on stripping vinyl and padding. I now have steamer and this will make job easy. has anyone seperated these two pieces ?

Archived