Replacing my Alternator, any advice on the way i should take it out an

UpcomingJDMuser

Okay so im new to the forums, ive had my first car (1995 Acura integra LS) and its been a great first car so far, but now the alternators going bad cause the power steering hose above it was leaking power steering fluid directly into the alternator and my car would die out because the alternator soon stopped working and the car would run strictly off the battery. Im new to cars and im in the learning process of engine work and the ways around cars cause im very invested in mechanic work and see myself pursuing it seriously as a career or something im very skilled at. (still in highschool)

Okay, sorry for the intro and off topic jargon, but ive already got the alternator off the brackets and removed the belt and took of the connecting wire but the alternators stuck on top of the drivers side axle, im not sure if i should take off the axle or try and take off the brackets to give it more room so i can pull it out, but the brackets are TIGHT, too tight for me to loosen em anyway,

anyone have any other suggestions? thanks in advance

Charge battery before starting car with new alternator. Better yet, charge battery and have it load tested to ensure it's in good shape. Sometimes a weak battery will kill the alternator, and sometimes a weakend alternator, by not charging the battery completely, will cause the battery condition to deteriorate.

basics of it:

your battery runs your lights, radio, etc.. it also STARTS the car

the alternator charges the battery to keep everything going.. spark, lights, radio, etc

if you cant get something loose get some pb blaster and soak it.. then go to sears or harbor freight and find the longest bar they have for sockets.. OR find a pipe of some sort and put it over the ratchet/wrench you are using.. it's break the bolt loose pretty quick

Okay so I got the alternator out by removing the Master cylinder above it and it gave me enough wiggle room to get it out,

I gave it to a good mechanic I know and he took it apart and cleaned it and took it to autozone to have it tested and it passed.

we just put it in last night and put duct tape around the power steering hose in the mean time before I go and buy a new one, and than there were other problems with the car he noticed, like the battery cell was bad because the car had been running off it for too long and it was in bad shape so I replaced it this morning cause it was still under warranty, but now the battery light keeps showing up in the cluster and I think the alternators messing up again. Im not sure if its the bad alternator or if its because the Cold air intake keeps coming loose and slipping off the throttle and I have to tighten the clamps all over again. Should I just replace the alternator before the battery goes bad again or how should I troubleshoot this?

• 1 month later...

i worked at advance auto parts.. i load tested batteries, alternators, and starters. they pass them on a grade scale. if it has enough to function, it will not be considered defective.

if your battery is testing around 14V and your charging system is working properly, you may have a bad connection somewhere on your charging system which is triggering a warning light. do a load/capacity test on your battery first with a multimeter or voltmeter.

know what? just go to advance auto parts and ask them to hook up their charging system test to the car.. come back with real information instead of "i think it might be my intake falling off and my throttle is slipping. that must be why my battery warning light is illuminated"

dur..

Archived