Amp problem.

EJ1 D16

It was a cold morning and i was worming up my car when it was worm i turned the music on and no sub.. so i pulled out the circuit tester. The power and remote wire are fine but + speaker wire wasn't. so i said F*** it and drove anyway. and randomly my sub started to work but was distorting a bit. so i moved my ground around a bit and it stopped distorting. but then randomly it will stop and like 20 mins later start up again. i have a feeling it has something to do with either the amp itself or the ground so today i sanded down the primer and made a new ground and still no base.. Any idea on what is wrong?

42 views and no reply?

Do you think its a bad ground?

Or that the output on my amp is somehow F***** up?

I put my sub in a friends car (his amp has the same Rms as mine at 2 ohms) and it worked so it isn't the sub.

My amp gets power and all the fuses are still good Brand new RCA's all of my wires behind the deck are soldered.

Well, you checked that its good to the amp, good after the amp... you tell me whats left.

Alright i was expecting that.

Does anyone know if you can fix this or do i just have to buy a whole new amp. I really don't want to have to spend another $100+ on an amp...

Okay now i feel sort of dumb I'm going to get plastic screws ha. i had my amp mounted on the back of my seat and then i remembered that its screwed into metal so i unscrewed it and started driving 5 minutes later my sub starts and hasn't stopped since.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Dumb reason for an amp not to work but w/e plastic screws will fix this.

.... thats not right. your amp chassis should be able to be grounded to the car, if not something inside is toasted, and its not a safe amp.

.... thats not right. your amp chassis should be able to be grounded to the car, if not something inside is toasted, and its not a safe amp.

Yea i know.. I just don't have the extra money to throw towards a better amp right now.

your going to sell a shorting amp on craigslist... yeah thats cool.

You get what you pay for when you buy cheap amps on craigslist.

I'm selling my amp for 75$ when it was $419.99 Brand new.

My amps power ratings are:

700rms x1 at 4 ohm and 1000rms x1 at 2 ohm and i had my setup set to about 700rms at 2ohm.

It was just a Coincidence that it worked after i unmounted it.

The amp is wired correct the settings on my deck are what they should be and my amp is tuned to what sounds nice to my sub when it works.

My amp is just crap. The Rca's are brand new. The ground wire was reground. and the wires have all not been shorted and the fuses on my amp are fine.

The amp just doesn't send power out at all or will just start at random times.. My friend has an amp that i'm buying for $50 that powers 750Rms to 2 ohms.

I would still like to know what you guys think might be wrong with my amp.

I believe I told you what was wrong earlier, the amp is shorting to the chassis (the amps chassis) Its either that or a solder joint has gone bad because someone has probably mounted the amp to a sub box (something you should NEVER do)

the amp wont ground out against the chassis

to truly find out whats going on you need to hook it back up and run a volt meter on it

see what your getting at power, make sure ur getting voltage on ur ACC, see if your getting voltage on your speaker terminals and see if your getting voltage from your RCA outputs

I find it hard to believe that the amp is grounding out just because the base or outer heat sinks are touching metal.

the amp wont ground out against the chassis

to truly find out whats going on you need to hook it back up and run a volt meter on it

see what your getting at power, make sure ur getting voltage on ur ACC, see if your getting voltage on your speaker terminals and see if your getting voltage from your RCA outputs

I find it hard to believe that the amp is grounding out just because the base or outer heat sinks are touching metal.

they are not supposed to, however I have seen it happen first hand. From what he was saying I assumed he had already tested + and ACC voltage, as well as checking his ground connection.

Also just for craps and giggles... are you 100% sure its the amp and not the sub?

I'm 100% sure it not the sub.

my amp still randomly starts working..

Tested it today on 3 different amps and all of them powered it exactly how i had mine powered..

Tomorrow my friend is going to lend me his old amp and i'm going to take mine out and look inside.

We will also use a voltage meter because i don't have my own.

I should be more precise

Mounting an amp to the chassis itself will not cause it to ground out or dead short

In most amps, when you remove the back cover you will find a sheet of thermal lining or black mat so that the solder leads on the bottom of the green board will not touch bare metal. If your amp does not have this, its a cheap POS and has one serious engineering design flaw.

However, i have seen cases where amps are incorrectly mounted on surfaces that are not flat and the back plate is bowed into the green board causing shorts. . or where people have tried to modify their amps into 'cheater' amps and have left wire leads exposed giving off a similar symptom.

This particular issue could be something as simple as a frayed wire on the + touching the ground or hitting bare metal.

I should be more precise

Mounting an amp to the chassis itself will not cause it to ground out or dead short

In most amps, when you remove the back cover you will find a sheet of thermal lining or black mat so that the solder leads on the bottom of the green board will not touch bare metal. If your amp does not have this, its a cheap POS and has one serious engineering design flaw.

However, i have seen cases where amps are incorrectly mounted on surfaces that are not flat and the back plate is bowed into the green board causing shorts. . or where people have tried to modify their amps into 'cheater' amps and have left wire leads exposed giving off a similar symptom.

This particular issue could be something as simple as a frayed wire on the + touching the ground or hitting bare metal.

Well i just bought a new amp for $70 1000w 2 ohms from a friend VERY nice of him. any amp i hook up to my system works right away except my old mtx one. And that one still will choose when it wants to work.. Obviously the new amp powers my sub better anyway so i'm glad i upgraded i'm going to sell my other amp but i'm not sure what price i should sell it for. It isn't grounding to the chassis i just though since when i removed it from where it was mounted that it was because it worked but it still continued to stop and go whenever it wants..

Archived