92 Civic DX Timing belt ???

Patrick2005

I have a 92 DX with the D15. Someone has already installed a D16 head because the spark plugs are moved and it says VTEC on the valve cover. My question is what would happen if he installed the wrong timing belt? I'm not sure what one is on it now.

last, he didnt ask what timing belt should be on there, or cam gear, crap, for all i know, he thinks that they put an LS timing belt on the car... or one for a GM (im guessing they used a belt and not a chain at some point)

Yeah I now realized the timing is way off because the belt wants to walk off the cam gear and the distributor is turned all the way to one side to compensate. I need major help!!

I was reading the Mini-Me swap write up and it looks like I need a D16Z6 belt. Is this right? And how do I tell what engine model I have?

for the block, read the number, for your car it should day d15b7 and just take a pic of the motor and most of the guys on here can tell ya, there is a code on it but kinda hard to see on a car thats old and dirty.

Get the part number off the belt (Even if it is an aftermarket belt) and find out what it is. IF it has the wrong belt, I highly doubt it would have even gone on ( I have always built mini-me and ls/cr vtec swaps correct so I am not sure how using the wrong belt would turn out ) in less someone really rigged this thing up with a different tensioner/cam gear etc. More than likely the belt is walking off because the outer belt guide (located on the crankshaft behind crank pulley) is missing, if you remove the top cam cover and know what you are looking for, you will be able to see it if it's there. And as far as your distributor goes, I am unsure if it is all the way retarded or advanced because I can't see it, but either way whoever did the job never set timing on the motor, or didn't know how to.. Pictures would very much help.

it looks to me the timing is set full advanced on the distributor and the belt is loose on the one side and seems to have proper tension on the other side after it rounds the cam gear. the starter really pulls down trying to start it so the timing must be pretty far off. it's going to the garage on monday so hopefully the belt from a D16Z6 will make it better.

Archived