D16Y8 to D16Z6 Swap

NutsnBolts

I shot a rod through the block of my Y8 so I swapped it out with a Z6. I got the ECU with the jumper harness and everythings works perfect. The problem is I brought it in for its state inspection and they said there computer couldnt communicate with my car. I told them about the swap and that its been converted to an OBD1. The shop said I would have to contact the DPS to see what I can do. Is there anything I could do about this instead of going to the DPS for help?

I dont know how it works it your state but i was a Ga inspector years ago and there was a loop hole. If you spent a set amount of money $575 i think it was "trying to get your car to pass inspection" (and had to show receipts) you were exempt for that year. it could get expensive over the years to come but in Georgia it would work. Good luck

yeah your screwed man, its federal, no motor from a older car may go into a newer car. You gotta either get that z6 obd2 or get another y8.

Okay. Any suggestions about how I "get that z6 obd2"? One of the differences between the z6 and y8 from what I can tell is the knock sensor. The other that I know of is the crank sensor. Without these two sensors intact and functioning properly, the ecu will generate a check engine light.

you cant... well let me rephrase

you cant do it so that it will pass DPS standards, and if you try to drive it on the roads you will get fined.

I got it. Thanx for the your help. Onto the next project.

Now. I can drop an DOHC into my '97 as long as its the same year or newer?

Archived