'78 Truimph Spitfire Build

Me and my buddy started a build thread on it the other week and been updating it so ill just move it here, you guys might like it.

The car has been sitting in the barn at my house for five years and its finally time to start the project.

Plans

basically taking miata parts and adapting them to work on the spitfire chassis. the first phase will be 1.6 engine and trans, rear end, complete miata stock ecu, and miata dash components adapted to fit and look a stock(ish) spitfire dash. also paint, and wheels.

once it runs independent rear suspension, miata rear end, and turbo.

first day out of the barn

IMG_5231.jpg

its a bit of a basketcase

IMG_5232.jpg

pulling the engine

IMG_5234.jpg

and its out!

IMG_5235.jpg

Tomorrow night the "new" motor gets test fitted in and cutting begins

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Got a good amount of machup done tonight. Tranny and motor now fit perfectly were they will be sitting. Shifter will be a bit farther back than we had planned but we'll be making different shifter for it. Also are going to use the stock header but will be cutting it where all four meet and rerouting it out a side exit via the bottom of the fender behind the front left wheel. Next on the list will be fabbing up two mounts for the motor and then one for the tranny.

New motor slipping in

IMG_5265.jpg

IMG_5268.jpg

Cutting part of the firewall to fit

IMG_5269.jpg

After the firewall, part of the tranny, and tunnel were trimmed it sits pretty

IMG_5277.jpg

IMG_5279.jpg

Up next here will be fabbing up some mount points and taking care of the exhaust so it clears the steering shaft.

IMG_5276.jpg

IMG_5275.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Made some good headway last night with getting everything closer to being mounted. I forged ahead on making the motor mounts while tyler buttoned up everything on the motor and did the timing. Also prepped the stock header flange for the new exhaust we'll be fabbing up eventually.

IMG_5292-1.jpg

IMG_5300.jpg

WARNING! I dont suck this much at welding lol, the welding on the mounts looks pretty rough mainly cause i used flux cored wire and didnt clean it up before pics and it was my first couple passes in years, the other mount turned out beautiful haha

IMG_5298.jpg

IMG_5297.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

i found some pictures of the car when we first got it, before all the body work was done.

RUSTY

DSC01347.jpg

DSC01221.jpg

DSC01209.jpg

DSC01204.jpg

we've been getting work done on it every couple days so ill be updating this along with the progress, with pics of course! haha. from what we've come up with were going to do a 2.5" side exhaust like that on an old shelby. And for the header, yes it may be a bit odd and not give the BEST performance, i want to try my hand at designing and making an unequal length header to give it a nice low rumble.

Archived