Certified warranty..does it cover battery?

Hello all, new to forum. thought it was time to join as we now have 2 hondas in the family.

Purchased an 07 accord "Certified" and now with the cold weather had problems starting with a very sluggish battery. Car still under "Certified" warranty, and in searching Honda's site, I saw that "electrical" was covered but no exclusion listed on battery. Now I know that battery is probably considered a wear item, but has anybody been able to get battery replaced under the Certified program or am I out of luck. If not covered, it seems that probably cheaper to go to local auto parts for replacement.

Thanks for help in advance!

Your best bet is to call the dealership you bought it from and ask them.

If it's an 07 the battery shouldn't be acting that way already so they will probably cover it for you.

Just an update....Honda America states that "electrical" coverage doesn't include battery as it is a "wear" item like brakes or tires. Local dealer echoed same response. Battery had some warranty remaining but with prorating, turns out to be $10-15 toward cost of $125 dealer battery. Just seemed easier (and a lot less $) to go to local auto parts store and have them install for free.

Actually Colter, the anticipated lifespan of a quality automotive battery is ~48 months. Batteries rated for longer then that are advertising gimmicks. An 07 needing a battery, depending on local weather and driving habits, wouldn't be unusual.

I was driving it for 4 years regularly. Plus the time in the cold garage in the winter doesnt exactly help battery life.

Actually as long as the battery is not being used, it is better to store it cold, it helps suspend the decay of the cathode. Why do you think people store new batteries in their fridge?

what he said ^. cold storage of batteries that are not in use extends lifespan.

argue all you want, the fact remains that a quality battery will begin to lose significant capacity after 4 years even if well taken care of. if treated poorly it can be much faster then that. heat is the fastest way to destroy your battery, actually. people just have more dead batteries in winter because the colder temperatures decrease the total capacity of the battery and at the same time the cold engine requires significantly more amps to turn it over for a start so more 'dead' batteries are realized in the winter.

Archived