motor issue?

ross615

i have a 89 crx si with a d16a6 and the other day while driving it started missing like maybe a bad plug wire so the next day i went to change plug wire with another used one i had and it still ran bad when driveing it bogs down and shakes so i dide a compression check and my #1 cylinder only has 70 psi the rest havve 120 psi my car doesnt smoke but does this mean i have a bent valve or is it something else?

• 3 weeks later...

have you tried to do a valve job? if not it wouldnt be too tight if they havent been messed with

might also be a ring issue.. compression rings and oil rings are different.. normally itd be smoking though

it was suposed to have a complete rebuild with eagle rods, vitara pistons and been bored .30 and a competition cam i mean we put it on dyno it has 150 hp and i thought that was pretty good for a d16a6 so i think its had something done to it do you think that the skunk 2 cam gear could need adjusting?

so 1 is at 75 and the rest are at 145? drop alil oil into number 1 and see what compression is... (just like 1/8th of a quart) if it goes up to a decent(ish) number your rings are bad... if it doesn't change at all its valves and if it just changes a tiny bit (10-15psi) id say your rings are so fracked you may as well stop driving it.

so 1 is at 75 and the rest are at 145? drop alil oil into number 1 and see what compression is... (just like 1/8th of a quart) if it goes up to a decent(ish) number your rings are bad... if it doesn't change at all its valves and if it just changes a tiny bit (10-15psi) id say your rings are so fracked you may as well stop driving it.

ok thanks man ill try it so how hard is it to put rings in? and what do i do take plug out then drop oil in and then do test on it

yup, pull plug, pour oil down there, throw compression tester on it, crank it 3ish times and check it.. (can do more but 3 solid cranks is enough) you don't wanna run the car on 3 cylinders...

to replace rings you need to pull the head, (sohc motors dont need to remove cam), then you need to pull the oil pan and girdle off, unbolt the rod from the crank, push piston and rod up out of motor, remove rings, put new rings on, put it back down and in... could be that your rings are all in line (the gaps) but doubtful. to put it back in you need a ring compressor, can be done without but thats a pain in the ass... air cooled VWs is the only decent way... you wanna make sure the rod bearings are good (check for wear) then tighten to spec, put everything back together, do timing... good to go. (id say 2-3 total hours of work from start to finish if you have everything right there and know what you are doing, for the average joe... a full day.

could be just that your valve lash is off too... causing the valve to stay open.

yup, pull plug, pour oil down there, throw compression tester on it, crank it 3ish times and check it.. (can do more but 3 solid cranks is enough) you don't wanna run the car on 3 cylinders...

to replace rings you need to pull the head, (sohc motors dont need to remove cam), then you need to pull the oil pan and girdle off, unbolt the rod from the crank, push piston and rod up out of motor, remove rings, put new rings on, put it back down and in... could be that your rings are all in line (the gaps) but doubtful. to put it back in you need a ring compressor, can be done without but thats a pain in the ass... air cooled VWs is the only decent way... you wanna make sure the rod bearings are good (check for wear) then tighten to spec, put everything back together, do timing... good to go. (id say 2-3 total hours of work from start to finish if you have everything right there and know what you are doing, for the average joe... a full day.

could be just that your valve lash is off too... causing the valve to stay open.

how do u fix the valve lash?

look that one up on youtube, its easy but kinda hard to explain.

ok i was thinking bout just doing a mini me swap and drop a z6 head on my block would i need a vtec wireing harness and ecu or would mine work?

ok, that means that more of the wires are there, but not all of them... check out some of those wiring swap sites (chase bays or what ever) and look at the different kits they make for your car, that might help you realize what wires you will have to add/modify

Archived