Civic ex 93'

blujay

Hello, I am new here. I know about nothing about mechanics!

First i drove a Cutlass S. It was fun, until I got nuked by a hatchback. I never had the chance to do anything anyay :( Seconds was a "Ford Contour" - a hideous blob that died under it's own weight like the morbidly obese. Now I have a 93' ex (it's pink :(). All the my friends who have Hondas will never stfu about what motor's they're swapping in, etc.

I'm pretty sure it's a 1.5L non-vtec fail machine, or that's what it feels like when it takes half throttle to get to thirty. I do not have a garage, or shed unfortunately, so I am limited in what I can do with basic tools, however if I wanted to swap engines I know a guy who does it who wouldn't mind the project. I have two main problems right now and some general concerns, listed in hurr:

(Making a friend who actually offers to help do work like this is actually what ran me over here, I'm all excited... learn me some mechanics!)

1.) Exhaust. My damn exhaust got damaged shortly after getting the car, and now it sounds like hell (uber-loud). I wonder if I should go ahead and get aftermarket exhaust and if so what brand? I hears flowmaster is good and their kit (does it include everything?) is only like $2-300.

2.) General state of things. Keyed hood, light to light, light hail damage on most of the top of the car, a few big dents, and some spots of rust trying to grow on the body. Interior heavily waterdamaged, it's gray color has a nasty light brown skank to it. Purple/Pink. Seriously fracking choose one if you're gonna make me drive a girly color HONDA! Should I seriously be considering spray painting this bitch? (Excuse to do VHT tint spray on my lights...!) How cheap can I improve my interior on the cheap?

3.) Custom clusters would be neat, but a nice engine would be neater. I don't have a lot of cash, but I can get it up for some major projects. What engine do I put in this bitch? Preferably one with noticeable performance gain but not complications or a monthly rebuild? Where the frack is my engine identification code thingy? I don't see it on here anywhere.

4.) My transmission. How do you check the transmission's fluid color? (obv dirty oils = bad) oh, and since the car has 110k and I have no idea when it was last serviced, what should I due to ensure it's happy and enjoying an extended life? Would havign the transmission rebuilt or anything be a good idea? I feel it when it shiftf, but not hard. What are the big negative signs your transmission is beginning to suffer?

110k. Should have mentioned that up there somewhere^^^

noob forever,

will post pics

J

• 2 weeks later...

get skunk2 exhaust. and if you wanta nice cheaper motor id go with a d16z6. those are real reliable and strong. or go with a b swap. and you can tell what motor you have by looking on the front left side of your block. theres a part that comes out a little and will tell you what it is you will prolly neeed a rag to clean it off before you can read it.

Hello, I am new here. I know about nothing about mechanics!

First i drove a Cutlass S. It was fun, until I got nuked by a hatchback. I never had the chance to do anything anyay :( Seconds was a "Ford Contour" - a hideous blob that died under it's own weight like the morbidly obese. Now I have a 93' ex (it's pink :(). All the my friends who have Hondas will never stfu about what motor's they're swapping in, etc.

I'm pretty sure it's a 1.5L non-vtec fail machine, or that's what it feels like when it takes half throttle to get to thirty. I do not have a garage, or shed unfortunately, so I am limited in what I can do with basic tools, however if I wanted to swap engines I know a guy who does it who wouldn't mind the project. I have two main problems right now and some general concerns, listed in hurr:

(Making a friend who actually offers to help do work like this is actually what ran me over here, I'm all excited... learn me some mechanics!)

1.) Exhaust. My damn exhaust got damaged shortly after getting the car, and now it sounds like hell (uber-loud). I wonder if I should go ahead and get aftermarket exhaust and if so what brand? I hears flowmaster is good and their kit (does it include everything?) is only like $2-300.

if you are on a budget go with ebay. they work just fine. if you are not on budget get a custom bent exhaust for 150-200 depending on the shop. 2.5" at the most

2.) General state of things. Keyed hood, light to light, light hail damage on most of the top of the car, a few big dents, and some spots of rust trying to grow on the body. Interior heavily waterdamaged, it's gray color has a nasty light brown skank to it. Purple/Pink. Seriously fracking choose one if you're gonna make me drive a girly color HONDA! Should I seriously be considering spray painting this bitch? (Excuse to do VHT tint spray on my lights...!) How cheap can I improve my interior on the cheap?

well since its a EG series body you can get some si seats from the hatchbacks or any gsr seats(94-00) will bolt in. the carpet, just get black. spray paint is ok for temporary jobs. but eventually youll need a decent paint job

3.) Custom clusters would be neat, but a nice engine would be neater. I don't have a lot of cash, but I can get it up for some major projects. What engine do I put in this bitch? Preferably one with noticeable performance gain but not complications or a monthly rebuild? Where the frack is my engine identification code thingy? I don't see it on here anywhere.

the list of engine swaps possibly are found in the engine tuning section. just search. imo if you are swapping and are budgeted, ls swap. b18b1/a1. or swap a d16z6 motor in and boost it. it will be just as cheap and most likely more reliable and will yeild more power than just a swap

4.) My transmission. How do you check the transmission's fluid color? (obv dirty oils = bad) oh, and since the car has 110k and I have no idea when it was last serviced, what should I due to ensure it's happy and enjoying an extended life? Would havign the transmission rebuilt or anything be a good idea? I feel it when it shiftf, but not hard. What are the big negative signs your transmission is beginning to suffer?

no need to rebuild the transmission unless there is something wrong with it. get a haynes or chiltons manual and drain the transmission fluid and refill with 10w30 motor oil or gmc synchromesh fluid. big signs are refusing to go in gear(no matter whatn you do). grinding gears, popping out of gear, and such.

110k. Should have mentioned that up there somewhere^^^

noob forever,

will post pics

J

110k miles is relatively low. if the motor does not burn oil or anything i would drive it for a bit while you build up some money to do as you wish

i added my input in bold up there in case you missed it

that 1.5 non-vtec has some real potential, dont dismiss it because it lacks vtec. Read up on boosting (especially about how our little 1.5l's love it) I gaurntee you will be please at the amount of power a snail will add to that little motor, I know I am :)

Archived