Fine tuning the TPS

James Matteu

How many people here are using an aftermarket TPS, how did you calibrate it, where did you leave it set at (volts, %throttle)?

As some of you may know, I just installed an Omni-Power B-series Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).

Calibration:

I've read on the internet that the TPS wire back to the Engine Control Unit (ECU) should show 4.5 volts at Wide-Open-Throttle (WOT). I installed the TPS and did adjust it so that the TPS wire showed 4.5 volts at WOT. With the TPS adjusted as such, my data logger program showed 14.11% throttle at idle, but I ignored it despite the Helms saying that it should be 10% at idle.

The Problems:

Since getting my car back on the road (WOOT WOOT), I've noticed the idle hunts around, the transmission downshifts really hard, and Shift Lock Solenoid wouldn't allow me to get it out of park. Note: I had no transmission problems prior to this.

The Solution?:

I readjusted the TPS based how my idle sounds. I turned it back until the hunting stopped. I looked at the data logger and it shows 5.9% throttle while output is in the 3.8-4.3 volt range. Now the idle sounds great and the Shift Lock Solenoid had released Park from its clutches. In a moment, I will see how it downshifts.

The Question:

Has anyone else encountered this issue? How many people here are using an aftermarket TPS and how did you end up having it adjusted?

How is it unmodable?

I said Virtually unmodable...meaning that nearly every part needs to be custom made. Want a set of headers, gotta get em custom made.....even an exhaust....custom.

If you want anything like a turbo setup.....well, might as well trade it in for a TL for the cost. Even manual tranny swaps are next to none in the custom world. It's a car with potential (in my opinion) but no support to get things done and doing everything custom would be insanely expensive.

I'm actually tossing around the idea of having a local shop swap a DOHC VTEC F20B w/ manual tranny into mine and adding a bit of boost. With all the extra room in the engine bay, there should be plenty of room for a snail.

There is some support for the c and and quite a bit for the newer j series, it just costs a hell of a lot more and you can't buy it on eBay.

Basically no support for the C27a4...more for the C27a1 if I remember right.....and there is very little info about what it takes for custom work. For example, I would like to know how much work it takes to make a set of C27a1 headers fit a C27a4 accord. All I ever find is people saying that had to modify them and alter the bends some...but nobody ever says how much or what exactly they did.

I would think that with all of the cast iron in this engine that it would be a great candidate for boost. 9:1 compression ratio too so you'd think that it would just love having a snail hang off the side of it....never seen it done on an C27a4 though.

v6accord.com is gone, but v6performance.com is still up, really slow traffic but it is alive still.

Yeah, I'm on there and all of the info is like I stated above. Made legend headers work with modifications, but no talk of how much work or what had to be done.....and most of the members aren't on there anymore so you can't pm them to find out.

Plus this isn't a cheap engine to replace when it finally does go...that's why I've been considering a swap to a F20B. The only thing custom that would have to be done is the mounts...and maybe some wiring stuff which would be a part of any swap.

Edit: Sorry James for getting so off-topic...I would still like to know what you gained from this TPS.

Not sure if you met James before. He is like the mad scientist version of Cranny. His diagnostics and troubleshooting I can't even comprehend half of what he's talking about and I know an absurd amount about engines for not being a professional mechanic.

'CleanGSR' I got nothing performance-wise from replacing the TPS. These are rheostats and as such have limited life-spans; the wiper does wear out over time, see wiki below for a different potentiometer (same thing) where the concept is the same. If anything I get the satisfaction of knowing it is a new part.

Reochord.jpg

Construction of a wire-wound circular potentiometer. The resistive element (1) of the shown device is trapezoidal, giving a non-linear relationship between resistance and turn angle. The wiper (3) rotates with the axis (4), providing the changeable resistance between the wiper contact (6) and the fixed contacts (5) and (9). The vertical position of the axis is fixed in the body (2) with the ring (7) (below) and the bolt (8 above).

'Xeryon' I cannot help it, I am a scientist trying to be a mechanic. Five years at university studying chemistry will do that to ya. It's why I like Mr. Bisimoto so much, he is VERY scientific; I read about his research laboratory, it sounds amazing.

'CleanGSR' I got nothing performance-wise from replacing the TPS. These are rheostats and as such have limited life-spans; the wiper does wear out over time, see wiki below for a different potentiometer (same thing) where the concept is the same. If anything I get the satisfaction of knowing it is a new part.

'Xeryon' I cannot help it, I am a scientist trying to be a mechanic. Five years at university studying chemistry will do that to ya. It's why I like Mr. Bisimoto so much, he is VERY scientific; I read about his research laboratory, it sounds amazing.

Why the aftermarket version of a B18 TPS then? Why not just go oem?

Honda used break-away screws to attach the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) to our C27A4's Throttle Body (TB), so they will no sell you just the TPS, they want you to buy the entire TB. Thing is, the C27A4's TB comes with the Fast Idle Thermo Valve (FITV), so the price exceeds $700. I found out that Honda has only ever used three types of TPSs: one typical of those found on B-series motors, one typical of those found on D-series motors, and one typical of those found on the RSX motors. The C27A4 uses the B-series type: three pins, angled neck. D-series: three pins, angled neck in opposite direction of B-series. RSX type: three pins, straight neck. As you can see, they are all potentiometers, its just your motor expects a certain resistance at idle and as such the neck has to be pointing in the right direction.

And the mad scientist strikes again. You know, you would have a hell of a side gig developing performance parts for the v6's being there is only a small aftermarket part following.

My ideas aren't popular ones:

twin turbo to increase mpg 20% and hp 20%

S-light for the V6 by using a transmission control unit and shift handle from 4th gen accord

transponder ignition key using OBD-IIb style fuel disable by adapting 6th gen accord or 1st gen CL ECU immob sister board

low temp catalytic converter for the intake to reduce NOX emissions and O2 enrich intake air stream

32-bit ECU with wide-band O2 sensors, 6th gen alt, etc. to make the C27A4 an ULEV six-cylinder motor

there are more, and all equally as unpopular...

Dude, if people can sell water injection kits that increase fuel efficiency by 20% and shorten engine lifespan to about 6 months then you can sell anything to anyone.

The only reason things are unpopular is people tend to be sheep and only do what the rest of the herd does. You make something and it has a positive effect on mileage and/or power output you can sell it, even if you only sell your patented design to a manufacturer you can still be rewarded for your efforts.

Archived