Need a recommendation on hooking up an iPod Touch to Radio For 07 Odys

macd144

Hi. I have a 2007 Odyssey EX and my kids recently got iPod Touches. Now they are stoning me to be able to hook the iPods up to the steror in the van for when we are traveling. I know there are some kids out there that can hook into the stereo somehow, but i am not sure which ones are the best to get. My buddy sent me a link for the one he uses, but it runs about $130. Does anyone have some ideas on what my choices are and then what the tradeoffs would be? If there are $60 kits out there verses the $130 kits, what features would be i be losing with a cheaper kit? Also, I'm told i should get one that allows me to control everything from the iPod touch and not the radio. Your thoughts would be very helpful.

Thanks,

MacD

Ok. So my buddy emails me the following product link....USA SPEC PA11-HON2y Honda Auxiliary Input and iPod Adapter but this is the unit that costs about $130. I do not want to replace my factory stereo so i've already decided not to take out the existing honda radio. Is there anything out there like the USA SPEC brand that might be just as good but not as expensive?

Regarding your suggestion on looking at the back of the honda headunit, how the heck would i even be able to look back there? Would i have to slide the radio out of the dashboard? if so, are you implying that there might be a audio in line that would allow me to just do an 'audio out' from the ipod?

odds are your probably going to be best off just getting an fm modulator, they are like 20 bucks at radioshack.

I personaly have an aftermarket headunit in my car, so i direct connect with a usb cord and can run my ipod from the headunit while my ipod stays in the center console. And if i dont feel like running my ipod i can use USB tumbdrives, or even an external 500gb hard drive that I have laying around. But since you said changing out headunits is not an option, FM modulator, just plug it into your ipod, change your FM station to the one it says to on the packaging and hit play on your ipod, and your done.

odds are your probably going to be best off just getting an fm modulator, they are like 20 bucks at radioshack.

I personaly have an aftermarket headunit in my car, so i direct connect with a usb cord and can run my ipod from the headunit while my ipod stays in the center console. And if i dont feel like running my ipod i can use USB tumbdrives, or even an external 500gb hard drive that I have laying around. But since you said changing out headunits is not an option, FM modulator, just plug it into your ipod, change your FM station to the one it says to on the packaging and hit play on your ipod, and your done.

Plus with some modulators, you get the cord to keep it charged up as well.

There is a cord that you can plug into your itouch/ipad/blackberry and the other end plugs into your cigarette lighter. You then tune to a station that is specified for that cord and VIOLA. The cord cost less than 10 dollars.

It looks something like this:

41sn%2BYeCLTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-iPhone-Generation-Touch-Charging/dp/B002R1KQG8

There is a cord that you can plug into your itouch/ipad/blackberry and the other end plugs into your cigarette lighter. You then tune to a station that is specified for that cord and VIOLA. The cord cost less than 10 dollars.

It looks something like this:

41sn%2BYeCLTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-iPhone-Generation-Touch-Charging/dp/B002R1KQG8

Are FM modulators good? I get the feeling that since it is transmitting the ipod music across a frequency, that the quality would be much less than had i direct connected the ipod to the radio via a kit. Has anyone compared the quality differences between these two approachs?

Archived