94 honda del sol check engine light need help

ok i was driving home from the gas station i had just filled up and my friend was like i want to see 0 to 60 in this so i did it shortly after that my check engine light came on and the my car felt very slow. When i got back i opened the hood and heard a slight ticking noise and it was runing really low rpms it was at like 500 juming to 600 normaly its at like 800 and stays there. today i puled the cylnder head and every thing looks fine there is no metal in the oil and there is plenty of oil. i am thinking i may get the knock sensor coad when i check it i heard that could be cause by geting bad gas. i am going to try and check the check engine light by jumping the two prongs and see if the light flashes but i am not shoure if thats the right way to do it any help world be greatly appreciated its has the 1.6 d16z6 in it. thanks for reading and any help.

so you thought it was a better idea to pull the motor apart BEFORE checking what the CEL was?

i did not know how to check on a obd1 at first and after i did that i found out how i am going to check the light after class tonight.

my guess is he did not pull the head and merely the valve cover. if he has actually pulled the head i'm pretty sure he would have known to check the error code first.

my guess is he did not pull the head and merely the valve cover. if he has actually pulled the head i'm pretty sure he would have known to check the error code first.

i have been trying to check the light i think some thing is wrong i put a paper clip in the sopt with to slots and then turn the car to the on postion and the light does not flash is there some thing i am doing wrong? I need to get this fix i seems to run fin now but i dont want to risk it and drive it i mis typed when i said cylnder i ment valve lol my bad on that any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks ryan

Most autoparts stores now offer a free check of your computers diagnostic codes. NAPA, Autozone, Advance and so on. Check there before you beat yourself up trying to generate diag codes.

Most autoparts stores now offer a free check of your computers diagnostic codes. NAPA, Autozone, Advance and so on. Check there before you beat yourself up trying to generate diag codes.

i work at advance and we dont even sell an obd 1 scaner i am going to school right now for auto tech and the teacher that deals with it said they dont make one that read it for obd 1 on a hond you have to jump the two prongs on the thing under the glove box i have tryed this for hours and it does not work any one no if i am doing somethig wrong?

What i find funny is he had just used google there are 93804 write ups on how to check it

and even if he didnt do that he could have just looked at the CEL codes thread sticked at the top of the section he posted in and it has links in the first post on how to do it

Archived