my 1998 honda civic what can i do to it?

hondaracing101

whats up guys im new to the site/working on cars just got my license and im really into cars now that i see my friends doing it and stuff, so far i painted it white it was green, i smoked my tail lights, blacked out my grill, blacked out my back honda symbol, put new black rims on it, just little things so far not really trying to do to much more to the outside possibly H.I.D's, blacked out head lights, and tint. i ordered a perforance chip online and a cool air intake, what other things can i do to make it faster? its a 98 civic 108,000 miles which is nothing for a civic as we all know and its stick. im trying to make it faster but i dont want to drain the bank acount cuz im only 18 so its not like i have a bangin job right now cuz of college and stuff so no full time yet, what are little things i can do and stuff? thanks for your help!

you can start by using the honda as a dd and getting a real car lol

cold air intake not cool air intake

get a header/catback/exhaust of course.. that always frees stuff up

if your not out to do much and spend money there isnt much you can do before getting into the motor

don't put a performance chip on your car. despite what the internet and your friends might tell you a simple chip for your car's computer, without extensive engine modification, will do nothing for your car's performance. it will kill your fuel mileage, potentially make it slower and quite possibly it will hasten it's death.

The basic three things to do for a minor performance gain: Air intake, Header, Full exhaust (not a big fart can muffler)

its not that i wont drop money into it but i dont have like 4,000 for a turbo right now thats y im saying are there other things i can do that are cheaper i mean if somethin 500 or up a little ill do it but i just dont have the money for that crap right now u no

Absolutely. Even for those of us not in school money is still tight. Just please don't waste your money on a 'chip' for your car. And for the record, unless you are building a full race high HP car no turbo for a civic is going to run you 4k. Maybe $1500-2000 for a quality complete kit from top to bottom and tuning, but certainly not 4k.

but most honda owner dont realize their motor was not build for gobs of power or even a little in some cases and end up with a thrown rod fwd pos hahaha laugh.gif

if you want to build it from internals out then it will last if done right and your not stupid with it.. but fact remains its still FWD.. power+FWD=not really good

but most honda owner dont realize their motor was not build for gobs of power or even a little in some cases and end up with a thrown rod fwd pos hahaha laugh.gif

if you want to build it from internals out then it will last if done right and your not stupid with it.. but fact remains its still FWD.. power+FWD=not really good

yea i agree with you sarah...350 hp is about as high as i would go on a fwd vehicle...if you want more than that just trade what you have in and get an s2000! but hondaracing101, something you can do that is cheap and you can do yourself fairly easily is weight reduction! take stuff out you dont need... its not gonna be the same as if you put a supercharger on it but it will be about as rewarding as your "cool air intake"... :) but what i would advise is that if you want to upgrade anything, wait until you have the money for good parts...if you don't know what good parts are then just ask on here...sarah will tell you go WIKI it! :) lol but don't go overboard with parts...no need for tein coilovers if you aren't gonna track the car, etc... good luck with your build man...my first suggestion, find parts, find out WHAT they do and then decide what you want and just learn about everything you are gonna put on your car, don't just slap stuff on there cause "it looks cool" pretty soon you'll have big white wheels, chrome corners, and a big @$$ star on the side of your car, looking like a ricer! lol (j/k with sarah, i dont think yours looks like rice!)

SERIOUSLY i dont know who would do that though'

i would put gold wheels, once piece clear headlights, and stars

hahaha

it all seriousness i dont completly agree with weight reduction.. i saw a guy race who who let the passenger ride with him while street racing but took out the 30 lb passenger seat.....

im leaving the supra almost full interior because i dont like the stripped out look.. looks cheap and crappy.. i am going to have to take it all out to weld the cage in.. and will probably just put carpet back in (not all that extra stuff) but ill have to modify the carpet i believe to fit around the cage

also if you want to track it (hondas do fairly well in autocross because its more handling then outright speed) then be careful what you mod.. little stuff will bump you up and you'll be running with cars you stand no chance againest

what is it with these kids and the worthless chips? all they do is change your a/f ratio and unless the car is modified to take advantage of it all you will do is burn more gas.

what is it with these kids and the worthless chips? all they do is change your a/f ratio and unless the car is modified to take advantage of it all you will do is burn more gas.

yea not really sure what the obsession is with these chips...you can gain 1750 hp by adding this lil 12 cent chip! isn't gonna happen...if it were me, just go ahead and waste that money on a fuel rail instead! :)

Archived