Anyone with aftermarket seats in their Sol??

OSOLMIO

I want to change out the seats in my Del Sol for aftermarket ones. The stock ones are a little thread bare in the usual places and they smell like the guy who owned it used to sweat it in it and it smells like man sweat funk.

Anyone care to share their experience with aftermarket? I am not looking for seats with deep side bolsters. Had those on my Audi TT roadster and getting a wedgy every time I slid into the car is not something I want to replicate in this car. I especially want to know about how the seat tracks, rails, whatever you want to call them worked with aftermarket seats or if you had any problems installing the new aftermarket seat tracks that came with the replacement seats as my stock ones are rusty like they came off the Titanic minus the barnacles.

Thanks

P.S. I would have posted this in the "Interior Exterior" portion of the forum but I want info related to the Del Sol only.

just fyi, most aftermarket seats are going to sit a little higher than stock in a sol. if you're a tall guy, you may have head room issues. also, most aftermarket seats are wider than stock, and may rub against your center console a bit. you've got a couple of options. the only company that i know of that makes an off-the-shelf set of rails and brackets would be corbeau. for a low-bolster seat, check out the corbeau sport seat (just measure carefully to make sure it's not too wide). if you find another company that makes a more suitable seat, wedge engineering can take care of making the brackets you'll need.

as an alternative, have the stock seats steam cleaned and the foam repaired if it's worn (a good auto upholstery shop should be able to do this for you). replace the seat covers with a nice set of katzkin covers.

EDIT: some of this info. may be outdated, I haven't owned a sol (or any honda) for almost 5 years. Searching on honda-tech or solsociety.com might turn up some better info.

just fyi, most aftermarket seats are going to sit a little higher than stock in a sol. if you're a tall guy, you may have head room issues. also, most aftermarket seats are wider than stock, and may rub against your center console a bit. you've got a couple of options. the only company that i know of that makes an off-the-shelf set of rails and brackets would be corbeau. for a low-bolster seat, check out the corbeau sport seat (just measure carefully to make sure it's not too wide). if you find another company that makes a more suitable seat, wedge engineering can take care of making the brackets you'll need.

as an alternative, have the stock seats steam cleaned and the foam repaired if it's worn (a good auto upholstery shop should be able to do this for you). replace the seat covers with a nice set of katzkin covers.

EDIT: some of this info. may be outdated, I haven't owned a sol (or any honda) for almost 5 years. Searching on honda-tech or solsociety.com might turn up some better info.

Thanks for the info. I wondered about the fit of aftermarket seats, especially the width as the Del Sol is so narrow. Aftermarketeers will advertise that their seat will fit any car but in reality especially with such a small car that can simply not be the case. Will take a look at Corbeau's. They have been around a long time and are top quality seats.

I read an article years ago, I think in Honda Tuning about rebuilding Del Sol seats using foam and Katzkin leather seat covers, so will definitely consider that option

Thanks again

Thanks for the info. I wondered about the fit of aftermarket seats, especially the width as the Del Sol is so narrow. Aftermarketeers will advertise that their seat will fit any car but in reality especially with such a small car that can simply not be the case. Will take a look at Corbeau's. They have been around a long time and are top quality seats.

I read an article years ago, I think in Honda Tuning about rebuilding Del Sol seats using foam and Katzkin leather seat covers, so will definitely consider that option

Thanks again

If I were you I would think very hard before putting leather seats in a convertible.:crazy:

If I were you I would think very hard before putting leather seats in a convertible.:crazy:

What happens? I know from the leather I had and have, depending on the car make it can look like aluminum foil that has been wrinkled up and then smoothed out. In my Focus, there is my butt imprint wrinkled into the cheap Mexican leather. In the MBZ's and Lexuses I have had the leather was nice and firm and not wrinkled like good quality vinyl. I wish they would bring back vinyl seats so I can clean them with Clorox or Windex. In the Audi TT roadster(the leather in this car wrinkled like a Shar Pei's face) and SL500 dust got blasted into the passenger compartment but why do you think it is a bad idea in a convert? Really vinyl would make me happy.

What happens? I know from the leather I had and have, depending on the car make it can look like aluminum foil that has been wrinkled up and then smoothed out. In my Focus, there is my butt imprint wrinkled into the cheap Mexican leather. In the MBZ's and Lexuses I have had the leather was nice and firm and not wrinkled like good quality vinyl. I wish they would bring back vinyl seats so I can clean them with Clorox or Windex. In the Audi TT roadster(the leather in this car wrinkled like a Shar Pei's face) and SL500 dust got blasted into the passenger compartment but why do you think it is a bad idea in a convert? Really vinyl would make me happy.

Well consider the heat and shorts factor, consider the cold in the winter. Then consider the sun eating the leather, fading, and pain to take care of (which you covered) I would look into Acura buckets with Sol rails they are a direct fit like my 96-98 cloth seats!:)

always another route to go too, just have them cleaned and go get a set of iggees, im happy with mine, happy enough to be getting another pair for the other sol, and about $400 less than the katzkin ones.

• 3 weeks later...

i have tenzo r seat but i had to mod them to get them to fit so if you are not good with work like that then im not sure. i know bride low max seats will work. bc brian was waning to get some.

the ones i have were for a eg but the bracket i had to take all so its just the sider thing and i had to do alot of work to get them in but here is a pic of them

l_d2126ad774eb49a6a1a014bf5c05f5da.jpg

i have also seen ppl use the ep3 body style seat in them but dont konw how they did it....

if you were to get seats like this i will walk you though it but it is alot of work

i have tenzo r seat but i had to mod them to get them to fit so if you are not good with work like that then im not sure. i know bride low max seats will work. bc brian was waning to get some.

the ones i have were for a eg but the bracket i had to take all so its just the sider thing and i had to do alot of work to get them in but here is a pic of them

l_d2126ad774eb49a6a1a014bf5c05f5da.jpg

i have also seen ppl use the ep3 body style seat in them but dont konw how they did it....

if you were to get seats like this i will walk you though it but it is alot of work

On second thought maybe I should remove the seats and get an old wooden box to sit on hillbilly style. The stock seats are only 19 inches wide and my ass is not that small any more..plus I want to be able to reach around on long trips and scratch it or move a cheek before it goes numb. I thought someone would have made a slide in seat to fit the seat tracks but it appears not. Even the skinny Corbeaus and Recaros start at 22 inches wide. What you did is awesome but I am too lazy to do the work. If it does not drop in I can't handle it.

What is the little green light on your console?I have a red one.

Iggee are very nice. Even for a guy who didnt wanna go leather.. Buts its only Temp.

I was wondering if they would slide in and out with me like the J.C. Whiteny ones from the old days that tightened with a drawstring.

Archived