Swaps or tunes...

Itzjuzmeh

Hey all!

I'm pretty new to vehicles and hondas, but i'm looking to start fixing up my 91 Civic Hatch. I'm looking to either do a swap to anything better than my stock 4cyl 1.5L piece of crap engine lol. I'd like a tuned swap so i can skip all that or just help tuning. If anyone is in the Fort Worth, TX area and willing to help my find swaps or tune parts, please let me know...

Thanks,

Ryan

welcome to hf as far as a tuned swap never heard of buying one that is done already. but here is the thing you dont want the motor that is in the car its a pos. so i would do a swap..... here are somethings to look at how much can you spend you can do a d-b-h-k swap. well you have a d and you could alread do like a d16z6 or d16y8. or just get a vtec head and redo the wiring for vtec and a different ecu. I THINK that is all you have to have to do that kind of swap. but i would go with a b series i like them and that is the most done swap in honda for the most part.....that i can call. but post pics of your car

welcome to hf as far as a tuned swap never heard of buying one that is done already. but here is the thing you dont want the motor that is in the car its a pos. so i would do a swap..... here are somethings to look at how much can you spend you can do a d-b-h-k swap. well you have a d and you could alread do like a d16z6 or d16y8. or just get a vtec head and redo the wiring for vtec and a different ecu. I THINK that is all you have to have to do that kind of swap. but i would go with a b series i like them and that is the most done swap in honda for the most part.....that i can call. but post pics of your car

Ill post pics soon... I was thinking about swapping for a b series... but im not looking for serious power just to play with so i was told tuning it would be a good idea too... a guy at my work said he can get a tuned b series for a grand, dont think thats true though lol...

My car was a steal.. bought it off a lady for 300 cause the rotor button was broke and transmission wouldnt go in reverse... recently discovered that the distributor was completely trashed, replaced it and it runs excellent now... but still not good enough lol... as far as tuning though, i was just looking at dohc, headers, exhaust, etc... simple things to make it run better (except dohc of course lol, thats a new engine entirely)

body is in great shape except for a ding on the front where i ran into a parked truck in the snow and had to cut a piece off so it wouldnt tear up my tire...

again if anyone is in Fort Worth area and wants to help me tune it, swap it, or exterior (looking to repair the front, paint, and rims) please let me know... small budget but small bills also so money comes quick XD

thanks for the help Trae...

p.s pics soon

dont underestimate that d15b7, built properly you can push some pretty potent power outa that little motor (I have a NA 151 whp b7 in my solvic) and if you ever plan on autox it is the perfect sleeper motor w/o boost, just bore it out, deck the block, and do some head work and your good to go.

Ill post pics soon... I was thinking about swapping for a b series... but im not looking for serious power just to play with so i was told tuning it would be a good idea too... a guy at my work said he can get a tuned b series for a grand, dont think thats true though lol...

My car was a steal.. bought it off a lady for 300 cause the rotor button was broke and transmission wouldnt go in reverse... recently discovered that the distributor was completely trashed, replaced it and it runs excellent now... but still not good enough lol... as far as tuning though, i was just looking at dohc, headers, exhaust, etc... simple things to make it run better (except dohc of course lol, thats a new engine entirely)

body is in great shape except for a ding on the front where i ran into a parked truck in the snow and had to cut a piece off so it wouldnt tear up my tire...

again if anyone is in Fort Worth area and wants to help me tune it, swap it, or exterior (looking to repair the front, paint, and rims) please let me know... small budget but small bills also so money comes quick XD

thanks for the help Trae...

p.s pics soon

a b series swap for a grand? bs. hands down.

1) its stolen

OR

2) it is complete sh!t and will need rebuild which will cost upto 1500

ORRR

3) all of the above.

if you just want something to play with then do the following

keep the d series. or swap it out for a d16z6.

connecting rods-300 to 400

pistons - 100

have the block honed, decked, and tanked - 150-200

new clutch and flywheel - 250

bearings and gaskets - 200 to 250(all engine gaskets)

turbo kit - piece one together for ~500

a good tune - 500

so at a maximum youll spend 2200 and easily see 300+ FWHP which will be more than enough to play with.

any b series swap(i.e. b16a2,b18c1,b18c5) will cost 2000 at a minimum and that doesnt include motor mounts. and youll be sitting at approximately 175whp. and that still wont include the suspension upgrades to support the heavier weight of the b series swap.

and just like buttheads, yours stinks ;)

nah i just prefer being able to have 2 motors for the price of 1. I can have a right now boosted D in the car, and a project motor on a stand for the price of a stolen/blown B swap. Not hatin on B's, I just dont see where all they hype comes from. Ive owned B's, D's, and H's, and out of all of them... D's are my fav.

More fuel efficent

More Reliable

Way cheaper

Easier to source parts

Less involved to make power

Weigh less

and easier to work on

so why would I want anything else?

and just like buttheads, yours stinks ;)

nah i just prefer being able to have 2 motors for the price of 1. I can have a right now boosted D in the car, and a project motor on a stand for the price of a stolen/blown B swap. Not hatin on B's, I just dont see where all they hype comes from. Ive owned B's, D's, and H's, and out of all of them... D's are my fav.

More fuel efficent

More Reliable

Way cheaper

Easier to source parts

Less involved to make power

Weigh less

and easier to work on

so why would I want anything else?

i understand but it seem like you can make more power out of a b or k but that is just what it seem like to me but i have never rode in a built d so i wouldnt know how great they are but the more fuel efficent i can see that bc i dont get crap for gas in mine and mine is not built and i can go easy on it and it just dont get that good. but at 70 i tac like 4000 rpms it sucks but owell

i understand but it seem like you can make more power out of a b or k but that is just what it seem like to me but i have never rode in a built d so i wouldnt know how great they are but the more fuel efficent i can see that bc i dont get crap for gas in mine and mine is not built and i can go easy on it and it just dont get that good. but at 70 i tac like 4000 rpms it sucks but owell

trust me, they are a blast. sure if your putting out 300+ hp youll have tons of wheel spin, and a tad bit of turbo lag, but its still fun as hell

dont get me wrong, there is more potential in a B, H, or K than a D, but it costs ALOT more to make power on those motors.

yeah your exactly right. so we go back to what the OP wanted. "Something to play/toy with". so cheap is good lol. in this case D > B/H/definitely K

Archived