88 Accord dies everytime I put it in Drive

My 88 Accord with only 80,000 miles dies everytime I put it in drive unless I hold on the gas and put it in drive at the same time. It is the 2.0 carburetor with automatic transmission. Air conditioner is off and nothing else is on. I've been working with it for a couple of days. I have all the vaccuum lines hooked up and in their correct position. I can't seem to get the idle rpm's down low enough to idle @700 rpm. If I idle it down below 1200 rpm it wants to die. I've checked the low idle solenoid and it's good. I've checked every control solenoid I can. I have a vaccuum pump/guage and have used it extensively. Should I be checking the timing? It runs smooth, no missing, no choking, but will not stay running when I put it in drive unless I hold down the accelerator. Right now I'm at a loss.

might be a float problem.. im not too sure how the newer carbs work though

they got more and more complicated before fuel injection comepletly took over

and it is pretty possible to have a mechanical problem like the carb even with only 80k miles on it cause of it being pretty old

Archived