your opinion about Nitrous

68 members have voted

1. 1. your opinion about Nitrous

• Is Nitrous safe, You would use it?
    • Is it dangerous, You would not use it?
    • Do not know much about it?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

aight, i know its long, but if your a nitrous noob read it, its a little writeup i wrote few months ago, it explains what u need in aditional to a standard nitrous kit to be safe, it will help you understand your system. If you don't know how it works, you shouldn't be using it.

From past experience i would stay away from NOS brand nitrous kits, the quality of their soleniods is horrible, I would reccomend a Nitrous Express wet kit, along with all the proper safety equipment (genX2 package), this is a quick breakdown of everything included in the package and what it does,

oh, in addition to the genx2 package u want to run a 1 step colder spark plug, also make sure that ur timing is set at stock, with a wet kit u do not need a tune, nor do u need to retard ur timing, if u wanna be double safe, just throw the car on a dyno, look at ur air fuel, if its leaning out, just up the fuel jet one size.

u need the GenX2 and a window switch.

this is what's included in the GenX2:

Fuel Pressure safety switch - if your fuel presure drops below a certain point (its factory set for 35psi) it cuts the groung to the system therefor disactivating it preventing the car to lean out and bo BOOM;

Purge solenoid -(not included in GenX package, only GenX2) - allows you to clean any impurities out of the line, the white cloud of smoke comming out of a car with nitrous is when he hits the purge. By doing so u can control ur bottle pressure and clean out the lines so u have "fresh nitrous" in there and allowing you to get the full "hit";

blow down tube - this is required by almost every track for them to let you use nitrous in a car, it's a tube that goes on the bottle and out of the car (u have to drill a hole in your trunk or use a prexisting one). This is in case for some reason the pressure in your bottle gets too high, instead of the bottle exploding and making the car go BOOM, it just lets all the nitrous out of hte bottle through the blow down tube and out of the car;

Nitrous pressure guage - this mounts to the bottle and allows you to know the pressure in you bottle. This is very important. You want the pressure to be arround 850-950 psi or so for optimal performance;

Automated bottle heater - this is how u get the pressure in ur bottle up, by warming it up. The NX bottle heater comes with something called a pressure transducer, what this does is that it only allows the bottle to reach a certain pressure, then it turns itself off, when the pressure starts dropping again it turns itself back on. This helps you maintain usable bottle pressure.

Window Switch - this item is not included in either of the GenX packages, but is one of the most important safety devices in a nitrous system, what it does is it limits at what rpms your system will be activated, ideal is between 3000 rpms and 6000rpms, if u spray any lower u take the risk of the nitrous/fuel combo not being "sucked" in by the intake fast enough and some of it will puddle in ur intake manifold and make it go BOOM, 6000 rpm, or even 5800 would be good for a stock motor, this is so u don't overrev your motor and make it go BOOM, once you are are more experienced with nitrous, u can bump it up a little, according to what tune you have in ur car, and with the supporting mods done to it.

WOT switch the WOT switch is the main sytem activation switch, this comes with the standard EFI kit, just cuz u have all the other stuff does not mean u don't have to use the wot switch also, this only allows the system to activate at Wide Open Throttle (WOT), for the same reasons behind u only wanting to spray at 3000rpm, if ur not at WOT the car might not be "sucking" in the fuel/nitrous fast enough and then BOOM

oh, this write up is for a Mustang, so the rpm range is off, i would not spray under 3K for reasons mentioned above, but u can spray all hte way up to whatever redline is on ur car ( i would reccomend maybe 300-400 rpm before redline)

hope this helps u understand

no its not actually $70 a bottle 1 bottle or more a week do the math i had turbo before i prefer nos i dont need to use it when i dont want to and cops dont harass me driving down the road cause i dont got an inercooler sitting in front

FORCED INDUCTION IS FORCED INDUCTION. look it up and learn.

... have you built your own car?

have I built my own car? I haven't personally, but I know how to. finding the time to do it is another thing.

I wouldn't call N2O "forced induction". nitrous doesn't force natural air into the motor like a turbo or supercharger, nor is nitrous a constant like a turbo or supercharger. nitrous is basically pointless in my opinion.

nitrous doesnt have a lag like turbo. supercharger makes power but it also takes power and wears out your motor cause its running off a belt. nitrous may not be natural air but it still forces burnable gas into the motor. it still makes power and dont have to spend a few grand to make as much power as turbo. u could gain 200+ hp from nitrous if you build your motor good. turbo is good if your building a car for top end but if 1/4 mile is what matters you dont need to worry about turbo lag with nitrous. all forced induction has its pros and cons. neither is better than the other in some ways. if nitrous was pointless why do people run turbo nitrous. cause apparently turbo isnt good enough on the bottom end.

oh yah, time shouldnt matter if youre a "real tuner." come on, i work 5 days a week 24 hrs a day and i still have time to build my own car.

nitrous doesnt have a lag like turbo. supercharger makes power but it also takes power and wears out your motor cause its running off a belt. nitrous may not be natural air but it still forces burnable gas into the motor. it still makes power and dont have to spend a few grand to make as much power as turbo. u could gain 200+ hp from nitrous if you build your motor good. turbo is good if your building a car for top end but if 1/4 mile is what matters you dont need to worry about turbo lag with nitrous. all forced induction has its pros and cons. neither is better than the other in some ways. if nitrous was pointless why do people run turbo nitrous. cause apparently turbo isnt good enough on the bottom end.

oh yah, time shouldnt matter if youre a "real tuner." come on, i work 5 days a week 24 hrs a day and i still have time to build my own car.

most people who run turbo and nitrous use the nitrous to spool the turbo. I prefer to not have to fill up a bottle whenever I run out. most of the fastest cars on the drag strip are turbocharged...THE fastest cars on the drag strip are supercharged....

time shouldn't matter? wow, you're proving your ignorance. fact is, you have absolutely no idea about what I do every day. just for a little taste of what I do, I help my step-dad with landscaping whenever I can in the morning, then I eat and take a shower and go to Liquor Barn(my other job). now, I'm working on starting my own computer graphic design company with a friend. my band gets together 2 nights out of the week to play and write music, which is more important to me than cars anyway.

if you really feel like judging me just because I didn't build my engine, feel free to do so. I'll continue to tell you to fawk off.

I wouldn't call N2O "forced induction". nitrous doesn't force natural air into the motor like a turbo or supercharger, nor is nitrous a constant like a turbo or supercharger. nitrous is basically pointless in my opinion.

That is my biggest beef w/the nitrous argument.It is not a constant power and if you want more power you need to go get a bottle refilled.

Not real power IMO,not for me.

exactly. POOR mans horsepower. you kind of people piss me off because you think your badass just because you can shoot off nitrous and beat people. the people that actually spend time building their motor and making it consistantly fast are the ones who get all the respect. without your bottle, you car is just another slow piece of crap on the road.

and like bigbird said, people with high horsepower motors running huge turbos only use nitrous to get the turbo spooling. they dont go and use it as their main resource of power.

exactly. POOR mans horsepower. you kind of people piss me off because you think your badass just because you can shoot off nitrous and beat people. the people that actually spend time building their motor and making it consistantly fast are the ones who get all the respect. without your bottle, you car is just another slow piece of crap on the road.

and like bigbird said, people with high horsepower motors running huge turbos only use nitrous to get the turbo spooling. they dont go and use it as their main resource of power.

actually i can pull constant 14.0s on street tires sohc v no nitrous and i dont have to re tune to do it. i didnt say people who run turbo/nitrous use nitrous as a main source of power i said they use it cause bottom end on turbo cars suck. i had turbo before and its higher maintenence than nitrous. i just put in my bottle and im off. i dont run out of the bottle that fast anyway. and i can keep my car looking bone stock, no inercooler to hide and no cops harass me. oh yeah if your car is so bad ass pull off the turbo and we'll see whos car is a piece of crap on the road.

p.s. if bottles are for babies stick me in a diaper and give me my bottle cause im lovin it!!!!!!!!

actually i can pull constant 14.0s on street tires sohc v no nitrous and i dont have to re tune to do it. i didnt say people who run turbo/nitrous use nitrous as a main source of power i said they use it cause bottom end on turbo cars suck. i had turbo before and its higher maintenence than nitrous. i just put in my bottle and im off. i dont run out of the bottle that fast anyway. and i can keep my car looking bone stock, no inercooler to hide and no cops harass me. oh yeah if your car is so bad ass pull off the turbo and we'll see whos car is a piece of crap on the road.

p.s. if bottles are for babies stick me in a diaper and give me my bottle cause im lovin it!!!!!!!!

pull my turbo off? I didn't know I had a turbo....I didn't say my car is badass. infact, I haven't run it. I didn't build it to be a straight line car. I built it to be a nice all around car. 14.0 is your fastest time on street tires? what do you have done to your SOHC? I call bullcrap.

I know of plenty of turbo cars that could completely monkey whore you. in fact, a friend of mine's integra would. nitrous = JUNK

i can keep my car looking bone stock, no inercooler to hide and no cops harass me. if your car is so bad ass pull off the turbo and we'll see whos car is a piece of crap on the road.

Since i am sure he never said his car was turbo or it was bad ass,why would you ask him to pull the turbo off. You asked him to pull his turbo off to see whose car is a piece of crap?The real question is Will your car be ok if it is away from the bottle?

The cops harrass you for having an intercooler,that is a new one?I didn't realize that was probable cause for an officer to pull you over.

Bottles are for babies,YOU,paul walker and Vin Diesel.

You prob live your life 1/4 mile at a time?

Ohh boy!

Since i am sure he never said his car was turbo or it was bad ass,why would you ask him to pull the turbo off. You asked him to pull his turbo off to see whose car is a piece of crap?The real question is Will your car be ok if it is away from the bottle?

The cops harrass you for having an intercooler,that is a new one?I didn't realize that was probable cause for an officer to pull you over.

Bottles are for babies,YOU,paul walker and Vin Diesel.

You prob live your life 1/4 mile at a time?

Ohh boy!

he also has absolutely NO IDEA about what's done to my car...which I think is funny.

just to clarify it, i think he was referring to me.

i also call bullcrap with you running a 14.0 with ur sohc. your going to need a good amount of crap done to it to make it run that. so unless you give the list, or a time slip, your FOS.

yeah, notice how you say, take the turbo off and then lets race... why would i do that? i put it on there for a reason. ill easily walk all over your car.

i dont remember the last time i got pulled over because of my intercooler... and you can barely tell on my car anway. the only problem i ever have is my exhaust b/c its loud as hell.

Archived