Mice in the engine compartment

CrazyHeart

Hi,

I don't know if this has been discussed, I did do a search, but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone have a solution for mice crawling in the engine compartment and nesting. My car is garage kept and not driven every day. The dealer suggested moth balls in the engine compartment and while that does seem to work, the smell is bad. Any help??

Thanks

Jim

Mice can squeeze through a space as small as a dime and are very curious. Peppermint oil irritates their olfactory systems and they tend to steer clear of it. You may want to start in and around your car, give it some time and then establish a perimeter around the garage. This could take some time since mice also do not travel alone, they bring all of their extended family wherever they go. It you see one, 30-40 are hiding nearby.

Don't forget to do the obvious, do not eat in your car and cut them off from any of your* food; * they can still hunt small insects for food and use your garage for shelter from the cold.

Get a cat. Stop at one of those roadside signs that says free kittens. Problem solved. Buy a $10 bag of cat food once a month to make sure it doesn't move in with your neighbor and you are all set. In addition to mice you will not have to deal with moles, rabbits or squirrels either. The best part is, you don't even have to like it. Just supplement it's food and you are good.

My car is in storage for 8-10 months out of the year and I used to have the same problem.

Moth balls worked for me. Put them everywhere. Also put them around all of the wheels since thats how they climb up.

On the interior of your car make sure you leave all your compartments open (glove box, arm rest lid etc) since they like dark spaces.

The smell you can get out pretty quickly. Just spray some febreeze and drive with your windows down the first time you take it out.

Archived