93 civic bigger engine or stay with the same

mattbmontgomery

hello i recently purchased a 93 honda civic with a 1.6 sohc vtech engine, it was knocking so i took the engine out to see if it was fixable. once i got into the engine one of the rods was broken and the main bearing housing was broke and the crank is all scared up. i decided to go to a junk yard and get a new engine but i know nothing about what will interchange. so my question is could i get a dohc motor out of a similar model car and will it hook up to the original trans. i assume that i would have to get a new ecu and wiring harness for the dohc. so would the swap be worth or what should i do? thanks for any comments and help that u may have!

hello i recently purchased a 93 honda civic with a 1.6 sohc vtech engine, it was knocking so i took the engine out to see if it was fixable. once i got into the engine one of the rods was broken and the main bearing housing was broke and the crank is all scared up. i decided to go to a junk yard and get a new engine but i know nothing about what will interchange. so my question is could i get a dohc motor out of a similar model car and will it hook up to the original trans. i assume that i would have to get a new ecu and wiring harness for the dohc. so would the swap be worth or what should i do? thanks for any comments and help that u may have!

or maybe buy the stock 1.6 sohc and put a dohc head on it would it be worth it? or would it even work? thanks!

putting a dohc head on a sohc motor cannot be done. just get a b18c1 swap and you will love it. make sure its the right obd rating though, that will make it easier to swap over. but you will have to replace the transmission, axels, and shift linkage i think. we have a sticky in the engine upgrade and swap questions. take alook there

putting a dohc head on a sohc motor cannot be done. just get a b18c1 swap and you will love it. make sure its the right obd rating though, that will make it easier to swap over. but you will have to replace the transmission, axels, and shift linkage i think. we have a sticky in the engine upgrade and swap questions. take alook there

Thanks I appreciate the info!

• 3 weeks later...

I say if money is not an issue and you want it to be faster i say go with 3 motors. The b18c1 with 170 hp and 124 lb-ft trq, the k20a2 with 200 hp and 142 lb-ft trq, or the k24a2 with 200 hp and 166 lb-ft trq.

also consider emissions issues depending on where you live. if you live in California then you'll have a tough time getting everything legal enough to not get noticed. dohc transmissions are not (yet) compatible with sohc motors, although some people have successfully made adapters but are not mass producing them. a built sohc can be just as fast as a dohc to a certain point, and not cost as much (again to a certain point). so it really depends on yours goals and finances.

Archived