2003 eclipse spyder serpentine belt issues

Ok, so im working on a 2003 eclipse spyder.

the serpantine belt needed replacing, and upon looking in to it further, realized that it needed replacing due to the a/c compressor being locked up.

My question is/are:

1) is there a way to bypass the compressor (etc, serpetine belt from a model that has no a/c compressor) (AND if said bypass is possible, which models would this work on)

2) what are common reasons why the a/c would lock up and what are the ways to fix this.

but i do know this is SOOOOOOOOO the wrong section

Need Help Under Your Hood? All engine related discussion should be posted in here.

About as close as he could get all things considered.

Let's see OP. Without seeing a belt routing diagram I really couldn't say whether or not you had the option to bypass it with a shorter belt. Most of the time it is possible if the belt tensioner is in a good spot and a short belt would not put undue stress on another engine accessory. Causes for the compressor to lock up? Number of reasons actually and it could be the compressor or the electronic clutch assy. The bearing in the pulley might have failed (any strange noise, smell, or smoke?), a clog in the orifice tube would have resulted in too much pressure on the High side and possible locked up the compressor itself (unlikely as most modern systems have an over-pressure bleed valve), and another, not so easy to diagnose cause is that the coil activating the clutch has become permanently magnetized and has worn out the compressor. Really hard to say without actually seeing or being familiar with that car. Did the A/C stop working right before the belt went bad?

Archived