smoking the tail lights...

REDBULLx69

ive been wanting to smoke the taillights on my 05 civic. ill probly be using tint spray and ive never done it before so id like to know of any good ways to do it or something i should watch out for. and im thinkin about 1-2 coats?

also who thinks i should just do the two tail lights on the trunk or both of those and the light on the spoiler?

ive been wanting to smoke the taillights on my 05 civic. ill probly be using tint spray and ive never done it before so id like to know of any good ways to do it or something i should watch out for. and im thinkin about 1-2 coats?

also who thinks i should just do the two tail lights on the trunk or both of those and the light on the spoiler?

Been there done this! What are you using? I assume with 2 coats you are going for subtle like I did?

HPIM3119.jpg

HPIM3114.jpg

Ignore the stripper! Testors is what I used, 2 coats of tint, then 2 coats of clear. I had some scratches so I sanded mine a bit. Then wiped down with denatured alcohol. It darkened them, and gave them a more deep and lustrous look! :thumbsup: Not in pic but I did my 3rd brake light and front bumper reflectors as well. :)

HPIM3125.jpg

244.jpg

i want the tint to be pretty dark and what pearces looks like with only 2 coats dont seem like itd be enough on that silver. i might just keep going with the coats untill i think its good :)

im guessing you can get the tint spray and clear coat at a local autozone or something?

also i heard that the spray can fish eye real bad...any suggestions on how to prevent that?

244.jpg

i want the tint to be pretty dark and what pearces looks like with only 2 coats dont seem like itd be enough on that silver. i might just keep going with the coats untill i think its good :)

im guessing you can get the tint spray and clear coat at a local autozone or something?

also i heard that the spray can fish eye real bad...any suggestions on how to prevent that?

I would say go with 4 coats on that silver! Also I sanded mine with 3 different grits of paper to get out my scratches, and then the finer grits to get rid ofthe scratches I made with the heavier grit paper. If you have no scratches you are trying to remove, I would try scuffing with 1500 grit in a circular motion and light pressure. Then clean with denatured alcohol. If it tries to fish eye on the first pass, clean with alcohol and spray again. For some reason it always seems to want to fisheye on first pass, and then after you wipe it off again it doesn't do it again. Coat 4 times with say 20 min between coats. I waited 24 hours before clearing, and again 15-20 min between coats, and did 3 coats. LMK if you have any other questions. Beware of going to dark, and having cops hassle you! Also the Testors I used worked awesome, but not available at autoparts store. Maybe a local hobby or model shop? I got mine from Tower Hobbies on the net.

well, i got her done. and i must say im pleased with the results :) did 3 coats with some strange off the shelf tint spray, worked nicely with no runs or fish eyes :happy:

ill have pix up tomarow sometime...im leavin em sit overnight so the tint junk can set

well, i got her done. and i must say im pleased with the results :) did 3 coats with some strange off the shelf tint spray, worked nicely with no runs or fish eyes :happy:

ill have pix up tomarow sometime...im leavin em sit overnight so the tint junk can set

Are you going to clear? Did you scuff first?

i think im going to do mine aswell. I bought the aftermarkets but i dont love them as much as i did in the pics. Soooo... I figure if i black those out like my headlights ill be a happy camper.

does the spray come in different percents? or is it just spray till its dark enough

i think im going to do mine aswell. I bought the aftermarkets but i dont love them as much as i did in the pics. Soooo... I figure if i black those out like my headlights ill be a happy camper.

does the spray come in different percents? or is it just spray till its dark enough

Spray til desired darkness, mine was 2 coats.

• 2 weeks later...

i learned something new....never try to tint spray headlights. dont work out like you may think :thumbsup: woulda looked good though, but the headlights wouldnt shine through so i really couldnt see too well

l_5d279e795f234ed4869df63b0f49f765.jpg

thats with one medium coat sprayed and another really light coat overtop. its one eyed cause i rubbed the right one off with alcohol and decided to take a pic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived