Looking at a 95 Passport for my 16 year old son....

I have always had such good luck on the Honda forums, I'm hoping I will do well with this question. I am going to look at a 95 Passport tonight for my son. I'm told that it has 140,000 miles on it, 4 new tires, a new timing belt and new water pump. It's an automatic. The guy said that he doesn't know of any problems with it, it's been his personal car, but his wife has a newer 4-Runner and they don't need 2 suv's. I just wondered if there is anything in particular I should look at on this vehicle - are there any known problems with them? Obviously I don't want to buy a money pit.....thanks so much for any advice.....

hondas are usually a pretty safe bet. first check the typical things as you would for buying any car. check underneath for rust, look in the engine bay for any oil leaks, especially in the spark plug tubes, and most importantly go out and drive it. test the brakes, make sure there's no wobble from bad tires, alignment, or warped rotors etc.

there have been issues with the dash lights going out on these, so make sure you check some of those. also ask if it ever has any problems starting because the fuel injection can leak down if the car sits over time and you will need to replace the injectors. hope that helps to get you started

I don't know that an SUV is a good first car for a new driver. Something smaller, more maneuverable, that doesn't give a false sense of security, would be better vehicle to improve his defensive driving skills.

Archived