Downpipe metal work anyone???

So if you read my thread in the honda image section, i mentioned i just got a dc sport header for 36 bucks... i knew it was to good to be true. I asked the guy if there were any dents and he said not to badly and he had it on his crx (w/b18) forever! Then i asked him if the dents would effect the airflow. He said no. ...BS! ...i cant stand liars. i got this thing in the mail today and the downpipe was aaaaaaall mangled up! Im so pissed! Yeah it was cheap, but he never said it was so serious and i would think it would be common sense for people to realize that this is NOT acceptable!!

heres some pics :-/

header1.jpg

header2.jpg

header3.jpg

I was wondering if this is repairable. i dont know much bout metal work but im going to see if the guy who does all my exhaust can help me. my first thought was to maybe heat it up and get most the dent out from the top of the downpipe, but i realized that was rediculous considering its made for high heat. And my second though was whether or no the whole 6 or 7 inch section can be cut off all the way around and a new piece be bent and welded in its place. Or thirdly can the dent itself be cut out, not completely around, but just a rectangular piece and another identical piece be bent and welded in place as a "patch" to get the original air flow back?

i need some feedback on this pretty soon so i dont lose my mind

So you bought the header without seeing pictures of it first? That is where you made the mistake. I'd tell the guy first and tell him you want a refund since there are bad dents when he said there wasn't any bad ones. If he refuses file a claim with paypal. You have copies of the emails and the pictures so it shouldn't be a problem to get your money back.

So you bought the header without seeing pictures of it first? That is where you made the mistake. I'd tell the guy first and tell him you want a refund since there are bad dents when he said there wasn't any bad ones. If he refuses file a claim with paypal. You have copies of the emails and the pictures so it shouldn't be a problem to get your money back.

no, he had pictures but it was up close of the header itself to show it was a DC Sport and then he showed a pic of the header and downpipe hanging on a wall from far away.

If it was something that was possible i wouldnt mind trying to do it. i want a new header and if a patch could save me $300 well then im willing to try it. The metal/exhaust guy i use is uber cheap for labor, but ill see.

The seller said if a return was needed i would have to pay for shipping back to him which id rather not do if this can be done.

no, he had pictures but it was up close of the header itself to show it was a DC Sport and then he showed a pic of the header and downpipe hanging on a wall from far away.

If it was something that was possible i wouldnt mind trying to do it. i want a new header and if a patch could save me $300 well then im willing to try it. The metal/exhaust guy i use is uber cheap for labor, but ill see.

The seller said if a return was needed i would have to pay for shipping back to him which id rather not do if this can be done.

Get your money back. Return it. Pay for shipping. Chalk it up to a lesson learned.

I personally don't see why you couldn't get a manderal bent piece of pipe the same bend as that one tube and have it cut out and new one welded in. You just need to be sure that none of the welds goes through on the inside and impedes the air flow.

Dude you payed 36 bucks. What did you expect? Those things go for $400-500 new so obviously there's a reason why its so cheap.

And if losing 36 bucks is a big deal to you, then you probably shouldn't be buying car parts in the first place. Sorry to be kinda harsh, but seriously what did you expect out of a $36 header?

Dude you payed 36 bucks. What did you expect? Those things go for $400-500 new so obviously there's a reason why its so cheap.

And if losing 36 bucks is a big deal to you, then you probably shouldn't be buying car parts in the first place. Sorry to be kinda harsh, but seriously what did you expect out of a $36 header?

wait a minute man. its not about losing 36 bucks, its about capitalizing on a deal that, like you said is a part worth in the upwards of 400. im not sweating $36

i understand what you mean, but are you saying you wouldnt buy a part that was rediculously cheaper on ebay, used, than new if you thought and was told it was in fine, working condition?

I bought a guitar off ebay 2 months ago that sells normally for $800-$900 w/over $350 in upgrades. bought it for 300 bucks! ...with nothing wrong, in PERFECT condition! some people sells things just to get rid of it... regardless of price. you cant hold that against me. ...im not being harsh either im just sayin :p

Ok lol. I'm just sayin I probably wouldn't have taken that chance in the first place. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. GL gettin the money back or fixing it tho.

thanks man. i opened up a case with paypal, because suprise, suprise - he wont respond to any of my messages! When i had questions for him he was right there but now he's gone?? haha He did tell me he would accept returns so we'll see

oh well, ive never had any claims so this'll be the first. kinda a pain when people dont comminicate

i could fix that easily in an hour. but your most likely a few thousand miles away from me , haha.

pictures of the header i made from scratch , high grade stainless:

Photo0043.jpg

Photo0041.jpg

Photo0046.jpg

Photo0047.jpg

Photo0048.jpg

Photo0049.jpg

Photo0051.jpg

i could fix that easily in an hour. but your most likely a few thousand miles away from me , haha.

pictures of the header i made from scratch , high grade stainless:

well arent you just awesome! haha that looks pretty good. how long did it take you?

for $36 just try to get it fixed. in the long run it would be cheaper than buying a new one.

cranny did you actually fire the engine up with that header on? seems like it would sound funny with the runners being unequal length

Archived