Motor Swap....

Ketnity151

i bought a 94 del sol SI last year with the D16z6, with a VERY bad clutch.. i bought a racing clutch and racing flywheel, dropped out the tranny and replaced the old ones, put it back in and ran it like a dream for the last few months... well, the person i bought it from pretty much raced it all the damn time and ragged out the engine. over those few months i noticed black sooty sh*t always appearing on my bumper over the exhaust pipes, so i knew somethin was wrong, but being broke (monetarily) there was nothin i could do at the time. so now, right after getting a job so i could fix it, the motor is pretty much f*cked... what i can tell, its a combo of head gasket, piston rings, most likely stuck valves, and bad valve seals. well i was thinkin of dropping the engine out and just rebuilding it, but my girlfriend just got off the the phone with a friend of hers that has a wrecked Prelude sittin and says he would sell it for $500.. so the question is can you fit an H22 in a del sol, and just do the engine swap? i know theres more too it than drop out the old and drop in the new, nothings ever that easy... just wonderin if anyones successfully done this before and could give me pointers or any helping info at all about this project.. the next problem is, the preludes tranny has a golf ball sized hole in it, so would the del sol tranny fit the preludes H22? or would i just need to find one from a junkyard and go that route? ANY info would be GREATLY appreciated!!

google it im sure its been done b4 i have seen the h22 in a HB so i'd imagine it would fit in the del sol the problem your going to come across most likely is your budget because that is going to be a pricey swap. im not possitive but im pretty sure the del sol tranny is no where near what you need. plus you'll more then likely need to rebuild the whole front end of the car such as suspenssion and the extra wheight i would imagine is going to give your car some handling issues. but if you got $30k laying around that would be an awsome project

imo you'd be better off either putting the original engine back in it or doing a B swap. depends on what your plans is for the car. if you want it for a daily driver then go with original motor. im in the process of figuring out what engine im going to swap mine out with and came down to using the B16A2 and then boosting it in the future

You CAN do it but after the mounts, axles, tranny(i believe you can use a b series.. not a d though), harness etc you probably wouldnt have the money to do it.. it'd be cheaper to buy another z6 or just rebuild yours or look at getting a D16ZC or D16A or D15B or somthing

you dont need 30k for the swap but you would def. be spending a few grand to do it right

everyone does b swaps(but can also be pricey for motor tranny etc).. d series are not bad motors and if you want to have a good strong motor to count on for the cheapest price i would just rebuild the Z6 instead of playing with swaps

for an H swap you'd need new motor mounts which can be bought from hasport (sp?) it's not a super difficult swap but you do have to kinds shoe horn it in there. as for the trans, you can find another H series trans or do an H2B swap and get a b series trans for it.

if you want more power i'd go for the H swap. on top of buying that engine you'll probably spend another 500-1000 to put it in when all is said and done

getting those misc parts, engine mounts, clutch, flywheel, possible H2B adapter, trans. D series don't bolt up to B or H series.

if you're on a budget and you're just trying to get an engine in your car, look for used D series or check out fjdistributors.com and rebuild your own.

you don't need 30k for that swap lol but it's not cheap. if you're smart and shop around you can do it affordably and you'll definitely be happy with the

results. the H22 is going to be a bit heavier then the D series. i dunno how much a D weighs but i know the H is about 70-85 lbs heavier then a B series.

you'll definitely wanna beef up your suspension (stiffer springs especially). and of course with all that extra torque and hp you'll want to beef up your brakes too.

then you'll probably want to double check the timing belt, do a full tune up, perhaps change the waterpump if the timing belt needs to be done, new hoses, coolant...

these are all those little things you don't think of. what's the point of swapping an engine if it runs like crap right?

it's all in your budget. you can always buy the lude for 500 bills strip out anything worth some cash in there and sell everything off. use the cash to build up a D or try

and swap a B in there.

anything can be done if you have the time, knowledge and cash.

where abouts you located? anywhere close to the chicago area?

sorry i just said 30k cause i know it wouldnt cost any more then that. i wanted him realize it would be a pricey build. i'd imagine it taking a few months todo also just something to keep in mind :crazy:

wow, ok, that sounds like a pretty pricey deal... originally i was planning on the B16A2 swap, but things kinda came up unexpectedly too soon, lol. but as far as having to beef up the suspension and brakes, thats already been covered, i got tein adjustable coilovers, and cross drilled and slotted rotors already on my car. :) ... but anyway, im nowhere near the chicago area lol, im just a humble southern guy from east texas... lol... kinda an oddball really, most guys around here are into muscle cars and big jacked up trucks, but i gotta say i love the imports, mainly hondas... BUT i pose a new question then since the H22 would be a pricey route. about 4 years ago, i bought my first Civic, ended up wrecking it (dont drink and drive!!!) and after alotta hellabuloo with insurance company, i ended up keeping the car AND they paid it off lol. well it was a 2001 Civic DX, with the D17A1, non V-TEC, and the only thing i see on the tranny is B2B(?) do you think i could get that into my car while i just rebuild my D16? i know just from looking at the tranny that it wont work in my car, cuz the linkage is totally different.. the d16 linkage is a metal bar going into the tranny, the civic motor tranny is i guess hydraulic, that moves the gears from on top of the tranny.. what if i swapped the d16 tranny onto the d17 and put that in? what you think of that just to get it running again?

p.s. sorry my posts are so frickin long lol

ok, well, im gonna go ahead and do the h22 swap... in all honesty, it really doesnt sound that bad now that ive been researching it alot more... one of the funniest things ive been hearing about it though, is people bitching cuz they wont be able to keep their A/C... ok, im from Texas... its hot as hell down here... ive spent most of this past winter in jeans and t-shirts, and summertime is freakin sweltering hot. most of the vehicles ive driven since i was 16 never had A/C, and the 2 that did, i never used it, thats what you have roll down windows for lol, and bitchin about no A/C in a DelSol?! if your hot, take the top off lol i just find it amusing...

It'll work, but I seriously think you'll lose PS too. No power steering isn't too bad. Take it from me, I drive a family sedan without it. You don't really notice it unless you're trying to park somewhere, and even then it's not hard to get creative. You're going to spend quite a bit of cash on a swap like that though. All the little odds and ends will add up, because it's definitely not a direct swap. Would be cheaper and much easier to just replace that d16. And probably even cheaper than that to rebuild it, if you know what you're doing. And, no, the del sol tranny would not work with an h22 directly. You can buy a kit to make it work though. Those are about ~$700 alone.

Archived