Spark Plug info for Accord

nicolaselias

well I tend to suspect there will be some sort of performance gain when switching from worn 12 yr old OEM wires to brand new good quality NGK's.. not because of NGK vs OEM, more of a new vs old sort of thing.

When it comes to brand of wire, a wire is a wire, some are better than others, but I dont think one brand is inherrently better for some cars than others.

The plug on the other hand, may be designed more toward a particular type of engine's characteristics based on brand.

Generally people say autolite/champion for american, NGK/Denso for Jap, Bosch for euro etc

This isn't true. Someone dyno tested a bunch of different wires and found NGK, OEM, and MSD all gained about .2 hp, while magnacor, Nology and some others actually lost power, around 1-2 hp.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, I know the OEM honda wires are quality.. just not sure if they are AS quality as they once were... I'll give the NGK's a run and hope they work... would hate to put out $45 for something that doesnt fit...

I would dyno the car to see if it made a difference but that just isnt faesible, so I'll tell by feel. I know my car well so I can tell when something is slightly better, even if its just 2 or 3hp. Or at least I think I do..

Not sure what I will realistically gain from Iridium plugs, new wires, AEM intake... dont expect much but that wasnt the point of the changes, just really to give my car some nice maintainance..

good question... I would assume that OEM was the reference point from which you compare everything else.

$50 Is alot for .2 horses, compare that to say.. $20 for good synthetic oil, or maybe $110 for a short ram intake.. hmmm

thanks for that, reassuring news... but if OEM is NGK, why doesn't NGK America and Japan know what wire set is recommended for a F20B2 engine. I called, emailed etc, they have absolutely no idea!

OEM are NGK.

False. OEM for me is Sumitomo, direct from the Honda dealership. I'm not sure what he based that on. I do know this guy is very reputable and has built the most powerful NA h22 ever.

indeed it doesnt.. no matter... I have to say i'm leaning toward replacing with the NGK wires.. only thing is, how would I know really if it is the correct wire or not? Comparison to the OEM after I already took it off?

If the HE62 is compatible with the F22B2 , am I right to assume it works for my F20B2?

That doesn't explain how OEM gains .2hp over itself.

I honestly don't know man, i never really thought about it. I wanted OEM because of the quality, whatever performance gains to be had, and the color (black). I wanted my engine bay to look as stock as possible (minus the SRI and Optima YellowTop battery). To the OP, make sure to get the wires for your motor.

I am now 100% certain that my accord OEM was Sumitomo (who I didnt know made wires but im not surprised as they seem to have a hand at every sort of business in Japan). So, that leaves to me question, OEM vs NGK. I suspect the NGK , if it is aftermarket is designed to be higher spec, but it could just be my brand loyalty..

I am now 100% certain that my accord OEM was Sumitomo (who I didnt know made wires but im not surprised as they seem to have a hand at every sort of business in Japan). So, that leaves to me question, OEM vs NGK. I suspect the NGK , if it is aftermarket is designed to be higher spec, but it could just be my brand loyalty..

They are both very good quality. Like I mentioned earlier, I like OEM because of the look. I didn't want blue wires under my hood.

where did you buy the OEM's if you dont mind me asking? I will not consider purchasing that from the stealership and so far as I can tell none of the stores (advance, autozone, napa etc) have it in stock.. only 1 or 2 sites i have been seeing

where did you buy the OEM's if you dont mind me asking? I will not consider purchasing that from the stealership and so far as I can tell none of the stores (advance, autozone, napa etc) have it in stock.. only 1 or 2 sites i have been seeing

Honda Dealership for around $70 or so, close to what you'd pay for others. These are a nice piece too, nice and snug. I'm going to get them again when the time comes.

nah, I found the NGK wireset for $38 on rockauto.com a far cry from $70 + tax plus driving to the dealer.

just for that,NGK ftw, lets just hope it works.. If I knew I was going to be getting blue wires, I would have bought a blue AEM intake, not a polished one..

nah, I found the NGK wireset for $38 on rockauto.com a far cry from $70 + tax plus driving to the dealer.

just for that,NGK ftw, lets just hope it works.. If I knew I was going to be getting blue wires, I would have bought a blue AEM intake, not a polished one..

My dealership is fairly close and no sales tax here. You only change those things every few years, so price wasn't a concern for me. It was worth it to me to have what I wanted.

Found this NGK VS OEM DYNO showdown for the plug wires.. lets see if it can shed any light..

very very interesting and stimulating results.... very...

So if OEM are actually better, scrap the ngk's I need to get some OEM's but I then encounter the same problem, no one will be able to tell me what is the part number for my engine..f20b2

Looks like I may be making some long distance calls to find out..

Found this NGK VS OEM DYNO showdown for the plug wires.. lets see if it can shed any light..

very very interesting and stimulating results.... very...

So if OEM are actually better, scrap the ngk's I need to get some OEM's but I then encounter the same problem, no one will be able to tell me what is the part number for my engine..f20b2

Looks like I may be making some long distance calls to find out..

Obviously I prefer stock and while this article still might be true today, it is slightly over 10 years old. I'd try to find a more current article to see if it still holds true.

searched around and couldnt find anything newer sadly...

Interesting thing im noticing as well.. It looks like only the vtec accords had sumitomo and the non vtec's had PRESTOLITE . I would have never expected that one, I dont know if its just cause it was a US model, but the key is now to find out what wires my CD4 chasis EX non vtec f20b2 had. Called dealers home and they claim not to have the part, but it sounded like they were too lazy to look it up...

I am 100% definite that my car has a F20B2 engine. Remember my car is non-US based and came with slightly different specifications to the USDM or JDM models. I don't believe any of the cars shipped here or kept in japan came with the chassis designation CD4.

RE: too much research, I have found that there never can be such a thing, especially when you consider my situation where I have to be 100% sure that a particular part is compatible with my application before I purchase it. Eg. if I used the US Accord spark plug spec I would have ended up with the wrong ones, and i'm pretty certain that that can be the same case with the wires.

While I am changing plus, and wires I figure I could look into changing the dist. cap and dist. rotor, along with the centre ignition wire. Do any of you know how often it is recommended to change these as I don't think they have ever been changed on my now 13 year old accord.

and yea, we had been thru it a few times on the forum before, the engine is f20b2, basically a slightly smaller of the f22b2 engine you are familiar with. Apart from having 200cc less displacement, it has slightly higher compression.. .I cant say how similar it is otherwise but honda shipped it to countries that have tax breaks for eginges 2000cc and less, hence why its 2.0l and not 2.2l.

I really don't mind buying all the parts and getting this change done, would feel nice to know that i'm getting the most out of the engine.

Archived