Spark Plug info for Accord

nicolaselias

Hi everyone,

I have a 97 Accord EX (CD4 Chasis) with the F20B2 engine. To the best of my knowledge this engine is very similar but only a slightly smaller capacity than the 2.2l f20b2 found in the American model.

I was wondering if anyone knew what was the OEM spark plug for this model and also which is the best or most reccomended. So far I have stuck with NGK and it has done me well, but I want to know if I am using the right NGK's for the car. (regular copper ngk's)

Someone mentioned to me that this engine may use the same plugs as my 98 Acura RL , ie. the NGK PFR5L-11, aka the NGC lazer platinum's (about $10 each).. Can my engine really use these plugs in particular and if so what would be the benefit of such an expensive plug?

Also, how would a top grade platinum compare to an irridium plug.

Thanks everyone.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only real difference between copper, platinum, and iridium is how long they last. Iridiums last the longest, copper the shortest. It's all preference really. There is no noticeable power gain from using the more expensive plugs.

so then I have to ask, why pay more than twice as much for the NGK laser platinum, than say another NGK plug...

Does anyone have any experience with their laser line? if it does not offer another benefit, such as more power or more efficiency, why would I spend 4x as much for one plug over the other..

so then I have to ask, why pay more than twice as much for the NGK laser platinum, than say another NGK plug...

Does anyone have any experience with their laser line? if it does not offer another benefit, such as more power or more efficiency, why would I spend 4x as much for one plug over the other..

Because as I stated previous...they last longer.

well kastigir, i understand that it lasts longer but the way I see it, it cannot possibly be 4 times as long to justify the additional cost.. maybe some people just like the hassle free...

the point is, i already have these plugs just sitting in a box because i don't think they are going to go into the RL, so any recommendation on putting them in my accord? according to autozone and advance, the reccomended plug for the accord from the NGK laser line is PZFR5F-11 whereas the one for the RL is PFR5L-11 both of which appear EXACTLY the same to me apart from model number..

• 2 weeks later...

My '99 Accord EX uses conventional (copper) NGKs. Honda apparently changed to using the Platinum plugs with the 2000 Accords. The service interval for the copper plugs is 30k miles. The service interval for the Platinum plugs is 100k miles.

As suggested above, I would be very careful to make sure that the Platinum plugs do not have a longer reach (stick down in the cylinder further) if changing from the factory specified plugs.

I suspect that Honda made the change for emissions and emissions warranty reasons. Also, most other manufacturers had been advertising 100k miles before service and so they probably felt pressed to get on board.

As to why you should do so, how much is your time worth? (Or if you are paying someone to do it, how much will it cost you?)

If you ask a dealer, I suppose that you would get the "if Honda wanted them in that model they would have installed them in the first place" type of answer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I know I havent bought up this point lately, but I wanted some tips.. Thanks

THE NGK plug specified for my car is the ZFR6F-11 however, this is an incredibly hard plug to find in the US, i'm much more likely to find the ZRF5F-11

The importance of this I am not sure of though, as the car is in Trinidad where the weather is basically in the 90's all year long.. aka hot.. which is why I wonder the advantages of the 6 over the 5.

Next thing is, I can get the 5 as the ZFR5FIX-11 aka Iridium. I understand that iridiums run a bit cooler than platinum or copper, so will this difference be enough to compensate for the 6 vs 5?

What would be the risks attached to running a plug that is too hot? Predetonation?

Some plugs operate cooler. That is another benefit. But most engines need hot plugs to burn off possible build-up.

Cooler ones are for heavily built engines that operate at hotter temps anyway.

What would be the risks attached to running a plug that is too hot? Predetonation?

Yes, but that shouldn't happen unless you've got some serious engine mods.

well, no engine mods of note on the car.. just want the best that I can get for it... I convinced myself that the 5 rated heat will be ok, but I'm having a lot of second thoughts. I think I will call the stealership back home and see what they say about it... They tend to be fairly useless most times though.

NGK emailed me back.. conclusion is

Hello,

Thank you for contacting NGK spark plugs USA . The ZFR6F-11 stock# 4291 is a valid number and should be readily available as it is used in many vehicle applications. http://ngk.com/results_fitment.asp?pid=zfr6f%2D11

I would recommend sticking with the correct heat range recommended for your engine. The hotter heat range plug will have a tendency to overheat, especially under hard use or at highway speed, which will shorten the plugs life but could also cause engine problems such as pre-ignition or detonation if it got too hot.

The iridium version of the ZFR6F-11 is the ZFR6FIX-11 stock# 6441. Also iridium plug operate at the same thermal heat range as the nickel or platinum versions.

According to NGK Japan’s data, the JDM F20B2 engine should use the ZFR6F-11. The hotter heat range plug will provide no performance benefits at all as the heat range only affects the temperature of the plugs electrodes and has nothing to do with the ignition performance. The hotter plug could be tried, just keep in mind that it may wear out more quickly than the correct heat range plug.

CONCLUSION - Just stick with whats in the book.. had to special order the ZFR6FIX-11 iridiums at advance but they will get them soon..

thanks for all the help

PS. Now time to decide on wires.. any advantage of switching from the OEM to the NGK HE62? I am not 100% but I definitely suspect that the car is still running on its original plug wires! I know honda makes great quality wires, but it cant be 12 yrs, 150,000 miles great can it?

yea, I have a tendency to want to go all out when changing a part, so I figure iridium.. why not, I run them in my volvo (bosch) may as well give the accord similar treatment.

I can get the NGK wires for about $40 at rockauto.com, just wonder how much of an actual difference in feel it will make. Also wondering how those blue wires will look under the hood haha

Any advantage to the bosch over the ngk or just brand preference?

There really shouldn't be any difference in brands. And really the only difference you should notice is if your old ones were bad.

These kind of performance parts really only matter if you've got major work done like upgraded fuel injection system and cam(s), and turbo on alot of boost.

So basically try to keep a budget for stuff like this. If you want good stuff, try to compromise, don't go all out, unless you're going all out on the rest of the car too.

well I think the car has always been running on coppers.. I figured an upgrade would do well and I remembered feeling a difference when I switched the volvo from double platinums to iridiums, so i was hoping for something similar going all the way up the range from coppers to iridiums. To be honest, I already bought them, and considering how little I have spent in maintenance of this accord over the years, I don't really mind forking out some extra cash now for it. I'm not really overdoing anything else besides the plugs, but I figure I will get my value out of these by hopefully using them for the next few years.

I actually put the Lazer Platinums on my dads Acura RL (Honda Legend) and I found them even more expensive than the iridium IX and I kind of struggle to see why. I know of the differences between them, but how much better could they really be to justify the cost?

Anyway, I guess I will decide later on the wires. I have an excellent mechanic for the car, and I can assume that last time he did a tune up if he saw a problem with the plugs he would have said something.. I genuinely wish I had such a useful mechanic here in the US at such a good labour rate..

anyway enough moaning, thanks for the advice as usual.. I find myself here more than my beloved volvo forum recently

I'll say it again, the only difference you will see when switching to platinum or iridium plugs is that they will last longer. That is all. The butt dyno might feel a difference, but there is none. Also, stick with NGK/OEM wires. Bosch are made for German cars, of which Hondas are not.

Sitck with the Honda wires for the civic, but as far as the stratus, does not matter as long as it runs if you are getting rid of it. As stated multiple times above the only difference you should notice is "how long they last."

well I tend to suspect there will be some sort of performance gain when switching from worn 12 yr old OEM wires to brand new good quality NGK's.. not because of NGK vs OEM, more of a new vs old sort of thing.

When it comes to brand of wire, a wire is a wire, some are better than others, but I dont think one brand is inherrently better for some cars than others.

The plug on the other hand, may be designed more toward a particular type of engine's characteristics based on brand.

Generally people say autolite/champion for american, NGK/Denso for Jap, Bosch for euro etc

I find it very amusing that not even NGK can tell me the correct spark plug wires for my car.. They only managed to say, try the HE62 (which I suggested) but buy it from a local store so if it doesnt work, you can return it..

wieeerdd, would swear I was driving something rare, like a Morgan Aeromax ..

Archived