Burning Oil Smell.....but not burning any oil???

Ever since getting my hatch, I"ve noticed this "problem". After driving for any decent length of time (10-20 miles or more) and parking, when I get out of the car I can smell a slight smell that smells like burning oil. I smell it mainly from the front of the car and sometimes slightly from the inside of the car.

I've got 3,000 miles on my current oil change and just checked the oil a couple of days ago and it is completely full...same amount of oil as 3,000 miles ago when I changed it last so it's not burning any oil. Also it doesn't leak a drop. Entire engine from top to bottom is bone dry.

Any ideas as to where the smell is coming from? Is this possibly something related to the ancient DPFI setup?? I'm not really too worried since the car runs great and isn't actually burning any oil (or at least not enough to lower the level on my dipstick over 3k miles)....more curious than anything else.

most likely the back of the engine hung. getting on the exhaust. check your drain plug for seeps. check the oil presure sensor on the back. check valve cover gasket front and back.

most likely the back of the engine hung. getting on the exhaust. check your drain plug for seeps. check the oil presure sensor on the back. check valve cover gasket front and back.

That's the thing is that I've checked everywhere and there's no oil leaking anywhere that I can see. I'll double check the backside of the engine again, but last time I checked it was completely dry. I've even gotten underneath to look at the backside from there and not found anything. I'll check around the oil pressure sensor too, but I'm about 99% sure that it is dry on the back side.

That's the weird thing is that I have looked and looked and have found no signs of leaks. If it is a leak it must be a very minor one. I'll be doing an oil change in a week or two so maybe I can give it a good inspection then.

are you 100% sure that there is no residue on the block from a spill or anything? i remember when i did an oil change a while ago i spilled some on the top of the motor, and just used a rag and wiped it all up and it looked like it was perfectly clean but there was a residue left behind that you couldn't see unless the light was perfect and that was just enough to make it smell after everything warmed up. eventually it just burned off and didn't mell

Okay...just did some more looking and found the source....and makes sense why I couldn't find it. It's the axles leaking oil where they go into the tranny. It's not a bad leak, but I'd still like to check the fluid level....but alas, I can find no dipstick for the tranny.

Okay...just did some more looking and found the source....and makes sense why I couldn't find it. It's the axles leaking oil where they go into the tranny. It's not a bad leak, but I'd still like to check the fluid level....but alas, I can find no dipstick for the tranny.

Because there isn't one. There should be two plugs on the passenger side of the tranny. The lower one is to drain. The upper one is to check and fill. I believe a 1/2" ratchet, fits in the hole to remove them.

Because there isn't one. There should be two plugs on the passenger side of the tranny. The lower one is to drain. The upper one is to check and fill. I believe a 1/2" ratchet, fits in the hole to remove them.

So do I just top it off until it's filled to the top plug the way I did with the auto tranny on my accord?

So do I just top it off until it's filled to the top plug the way I did with the auto tranny on my accord?

Fill until it starts pouring out of the hole. Use either Honda MTF, or 10w40 motor oil.

Fill until it starts pouring out of the hole. Use either Honda MTF, or 10w40 motor oil.

What he said. MTF is pricey stuff though. Don't forget to buy a few extra crush washers when you go to the Honda Dealer to buy the MTF. The washers are usually only $0.50 or so each. Every time I go I buy a few of each cause I'm always loosing them or replacing axles in something.

Invest the $10 in a hand pump. Will make filling soooooooooo mch easier.

There are actually three openings in the trans. The drain, the fill plug and a sensor tap in the very top. The only way to overfill is if you pull the sensor assembly out and didn't open the fill hole. You could put too much in that way. You shouldn't take the sensor out on the top as it is very easy to drop debris into the top hole. You would probably damage more by dropping debris into it then if you overfilled it.

I plan to just run motor oil....not spending the money on the MTF and our Honda Dealer is way too far away to be convenient.

I should really run 10w40?? I thought I remembered hearing 5w30 in the trans.

I plan to just run motor oil....not spending the money on the MTF and our Honda Dealer is way too far away to be convenient.

I should really run 10w40?? I thought I remembered hearing 5w30 in the trans.

I don't have a manual to check anymore, but it was Honda MTF, or 10w30/10w40.

EDIT: I have a Haynes manual sitting here so I just looked. For our temperature range, 10w30 or 10w40 is recommended. Since we aren't sub-zero very much. Any temps below -5, require 5w30.

Archived