car over heating need some help

MugenKid91

so yeah i went to go pick up my car today and she just straight over heated it ran great the other day then today just went over board so im guessing its either my thermostat or the radiator. anyone got any other guesses

I would change the thermostat just to be safe, and have the radiator flushed.

but!!! if it got so hot that it went into the red than kiss that head gasket goodbye :thumbsup:

When these motors overheat they almost always blow the head gasket, if it didn't than i'll be surprised.

my car hit the red line once and only stayed there for a few seconds and it blew the HG so bad that when you took out the #1 spark plug that there was coolant just dripping off of it.

Has it gotten significantly colder lately?

how does this affect it? something frozen shut?

when the car is running and warmed up, feel upper and lower radiator hose, if they are both hot, then t-stat is opening and okay. when the car warms up see if the radiator fan ever comes on. if not, then rad fan has a problem. if rad fan doesn't spin, jump the fan motor wires to the battery, if it spins, fan motor is okay but temp switch is bad, if it doesn't spin up, then fan motor is bad.

I don't know who said an overheat blows up the car as it does not specifically kill the head gasket in an instant. Case in point, my red car had a missing, unmarked fuse. I drove it that way with no radiator fan for a good 3 months in the summer. Car regularly ran in the 75%-100% range on the temp sensor. A few times the radiator boiled over too. I didn't care as I wanted an excuse to replace the motor anyway but the thing would not, and did not, die despite the repeated abuse. I am not advocating this treatment of your car, just pointing out not to assume the worst if your car overheated only the one time.

What actually happens is if your head gasket is leaking and causes the car to overheat the gasket may completely blow out and cause you to lose significant compression and the car may not start at all. This is worst case and is the most likely cause for the 'instant death' that people keep claiming.

how does this affect it? something frozen shut?

Potentially frozen radiator core. It's a distant possibility, but one nonetheless. I've had it happen before, but I didn't overheat, I blew a radiator hose.

Potentially frozen radiator core. It's a distant possibility, but one nonetheless. I've had it happen before, but I didn't overheat, I blew a radiator hose.

sounds like a potential disaster, wouldn't the expanding ice blow out the radiator, or a chunk of ice do some damage to a moving part?

Archived