Mike's Sol build

Mafdark

I have a detailed build thread on a couple of other forums so I never really created one here.

I guess the way I'll set this up is that I'll just post random pictures... if someone finds a pic interesting I would gladly add more information regarding it.

Marcus dairy/pal meet

DSCN1687-1.jpg

My new garage for the winter

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2386-1.jpg

IMG_2387-1.jpg

IMG_2386-1-1.jpg

door panel project:

IMG_2557.jpg

winter tear down

IMG_0449.jpg

new brakes

IMG_0459.jpg

roll bar:

IMG_2442.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

autocross:

img_5790.jpg

Gear dependent boost:

1-3.jpg

I have a detailed build thread on a couple of other forums so I never really created one here.

I guess the way I'll set this up is that I'll just post random pictures... if someone finds a pic interesting I would gladly add more information regarding it.

Marcus dairy/pal meet

DSCN1687-1.jpg

My new garage for the winter

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2386-1.jpg

IMG_2387-1.jpg

IMG_2386-1-1.jpg

door panel project:

IMG_2557.jpg

winter tear down

IMG_0449.jpg

new brakes

IMG_0459.jpg

roll bar:

IMG_2442.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

autocross:

img_5790.jpg

Gear dependent boost:

1-3.jpg

damn i love that front bumper eventually ill take the crash bar off and put it on my car. But my lip be nice. Nice sol man. Always been a fan of it

I don't have my sheet that tells me exactly what the MPH is, but I know 5th is well over 100. 3rd gear hits 99 at redline. No need for 20PSI up there, that would just be a problem waiting to happen.

Here are some pictures of what I am working on:

IC.jpg

ICv2.png

ICv2sectionview.png

little more tweaking

ICv2-1.png

test fitting with the full length radiator:

Untitled.png

icsetup2.png

icsetup3.png

icsetup4.png

current engine setup:

n24416840_33170894_1124-1.jpg

suspension:

IMG_2396.jpg

yep.

Frame rails and the lower portion of the radiator support are real simplified right now, but I can add more detail as I go and use it for some fun renderings. The dimensions are correct and knowing that I can see that I can clear the full length radiator with the intercooler as I designed it.

The back door design leaves me lots more room and flexibility with the oil cooler and airbox I will be working on next.

nice are you doign the drawings to find the best size fmic? ortry to mod the end tanks on one to get it done?

and yea thats true, 5th is way over 100, when like yourself im shifting into 4th at just about 100. Have you tried or payed attention to what the highest rpm youve been able to get outta 5th?

mainly to modify the end thanks and to make sure they will fit. Not necessarily the size of the core.

I've found that with the economy doing crapty I can't sell off any of my stuff, intercooler, turbo manifold... So I am reworking my setup the way I want it in solidworks and having it modified to my specs rather than trying to sell it all and buy new.

mainly to modify the end thanks and to make sure they will fit. Not necessarily the size of the core.

I've found that with the economy doing crapty I can't sell off any of my stuff, intercooler, turbo manifold... So I am reworking my setup the way I want it in solidworks and having it modified to my specs rather than trying to sell it all and buy new.

well your set-up certainly works as is.

If you happen to be working on the interior and have the seats out, think you could take a few more pix of the roll bar? I'm curious as to how it looks, mounts, and the location of the mounts.

well your set-up certainly works as is.

If you happen to be working on the interior and have the seats out, think you could take a few more pix of the roll bar? I'm curious as to how it looks, mounts, and the location of the mounts.

At some point this winter i'll have them put. I'll take pics of I can remember.

nice build my friend. what numbers are you putting down on that setup?

btw, i REALLY hate to say i thought of this, but when i saw mikes sol build, i immediately thought of ginger. you wont understand what im talking about, but im glad you have a nice sol that made that thought go away lol.

btw, i REALLY hate to say i thought of this, but when i saw mikes sol build, i immediately thought of ginger. you wont understand what im talking about, but im glad you have a nice sol that made that thought go away lol.

lol, good to know it wasn't just me :thumbsup: had to look at the name of the poster while i was clicking on it :laugh:

I have always loved those wheels. Though the rubber looks a little meaty for me.

So you are gonna fab up a new IC? That's some pretty crazy skill if you can do that, man. *jealous*

I actually don't have a TIG that can weld aluminum yet (anyone want to pitch in so I can get one :p) So I work with my fab guy for that, hes more engineering oriented like me and I build them in solidworks, we test them using the flow testing program on there, make changes, and then he is going to use the file to make the intercooler to my exact specs.

Normally to change one single component in a turbo system requires a car to be at the fab shop so they can cut, weld, test fit, cut, weld test fit.

Hopefully if I am as good as I think I am with my measurements and solidworks drawings I can have it fit the first time.

Here is V3 of my IC

icV4-1.png

ignore the lack of fins, they were done for fun and when the pattern is unsuppressed they crash my laptop. :)

Its not a drag car. I'll be doing time attack with it and I do drive it on the street.

For those who are not familiar with the properties/disadvantages

water, while on a quarter mile run, keeps the temps lower than air would, but once it heats up like on a road course or on the street, it takes forever to cool down. to get more technical do some research on specific heat capacity.

Its not a drag car. I'll be doing time attack with it and I do drive it on the street.

For those who are not familiar with the properties/disadvantages

water, while on a quarter mile run, keeps the temps lower than air would, but once it heats up like on a road course or on the street, it takes forever to cool down. to get more technical do some research on specific heat capacity.

Oh, Ok. I guess i didn't really notice the pic of you RR/Auto Xing. I can see why you are going to keep the Air to Air. What exhaust manifold is that?

*edit*

Also what are those two -10 or -12 (aprox.) lines going by your boost controller going to?

I kinda skimped on my explanation of why I was doing the backdoor. Long story short is because #1 better spool, and #2 more room for the oil cooler and airbox.

The lines are for the current oil cooler.

You can see the problem here:

IMG_2422.jpg

I can't push the cooler out where it will get the most flow. Really I can't move it in any direction. Its stuck right there because of the damn charge pipe.

That manifold is a synapse turbo manifold. Its for sale, same with the AFI manifold I have which is identical.

• 2 weeks later...

Just moved into my new garage...

Old place:

IMG_2397.jpg

The new place:

021009_21431.jpg

Its actually a pretty well equipped shop... I am renting out storage spaces for peoples cars, tools and parts. If that turns out to not cover the full amount of rent then I will just continue buying Hondas, stripping them, and parting them out. :)

Archived