need help with diy paint job

Nancy

i had no luck selling my spoon mirrors so i was thinking of painting them myself. they are already primered and taped off. i just got my montana spray paint today and before i got started i was wondering if theres anything else i need to do first.

prolly around 1000grit between nice even coats, then 2000+ on the final base and final clear coat. i don't know for sure but i've heard that and it seems to have worked on the very small touch of stuff i've done. are you supposed to wet sand between all paint layers or just the last 2 or so layers?

prolly around 1000grit between nice even coats, then 2000+ on the final base and final clear coat. i don't know for sure but i've heard that and it seems to have worked on the very small touch of stuff i've done. are you supposed to wet sand between all paint layers or just the last 2 or so layers?

Wet sanding takes more time, but leaves you with a smoother finished product.

Scuff the primer with 600 grit (dry sand...not wet). Then clean the surface really well..wipe all the dust down with a damp rag or even 50/50 alcohol/water mix.

Not too positive on what grit to wetsand with (wetsand though not dry) between coats, but I"d say 1000 sounds right I wouldn't go any higher than that because the paint needs something to stick to. If you wetsanded with too fine a grit (say 3000) then the next coat wouldn't stick as well.....at least that's what I've always heard.

Personally, on things that small, I've never even sanded between coats and obviously not after since you can't buff between the spokes of wheels. When doing my wheels, I just did nice thin coats and it kept it from fisheye's and orange peels.

To be honest, I'm not sure but what 1000 is too high between coats as well. I remember reading that 600 grit was the highest grit that paint could stick too very well, but I don't know if that was on a prepainted surface or between coats. I would not bother with wetsanding between coats unless you notice a problem with orange peel. If everything is smooth, then just wait 20-30 minutes between coats and keep going with light coats. If you can make it through spraying clear with not much orange peel then you can wetsand (probably 1200, 1500, 2000) then buff the 2000 out.....problem is that the buffer, pads and compound will cost you more than having a body shop spray the mirrors.

There was a really good body shop forum with some crazy awesome tutorial stuff on prepping, wetsanding, spraying, finishing, etc.... I will try and what forum that was and post up for you. Personally, I would just scuff with 600, wipe down, spray light coats (3-4) of paint, then 2-3 coats of clear....then if it's not as smooth as you want, consider buffing it....but that will cost $$.

Archived