1 yr old Accord needs new brakes??

runner

I just took my Honda Accord into the dealer for its 15,000 mile check up and was told that it needed to have the rear brakes replaced to the tune of about $500. I am astonished !

The car is barely 1 year old !!!!! I don't drive like a hotrod - in fact my kids tell me I drive like a granny. I don't do anything wierd like ride the brakes.

What is the deal ? I can't help but wonder if my dealer is not being honest. Anyone else experience this with a 2008 Accord?

I just took my Honda Accord into the dealer for its 15,000 mile check up and was told that it needed to have the rear brakes replaced to the tune of about $500. I am astonished !

The car is barely 1 year old !!! !! I don't drive like a hotrod - in fact my kids tell me I drive like a granny. I don't do anything wierd like ride the brakes.

What is the deal ? I can't help but wonder if my dealer is not being honest. Anyone else experience this with a 2008 Accord?

Some one smoked them with the E-brake! :thumbsup:

The car is barely 1 year old !!! !! I don't drive like a hotrod - in fact my kids tell me I drive like a granny. I don't do anything wierd like ride the brakes.

you the only 1 that drives it?

Honestly, it is probably the dealer. My dad took his (previous) Del Sol to Honda for an oil change and they told him that he needed new tires. The tires had less than 10,000 miles (rated for 60k) and had at least 80% tread left. Take it somewhere that does free brake inspections and have them look at your brakes (don't tell them what the dealer said) and see what they have to say. Midas installs brake pads for about $100 I believe.

Edit: Also, your front brakes should wear out long before your rears. The front's do the majority of the stopping action.

Ask them how many millimeters are left on the pad, let them know you know the service limit is 4mm (new is about 23mm thick).

This usually shuts most people up.

I have had this happen too, I ask for the thickness in millimeters so I can make a note of the measurement in my records. Then they say, "We didn't measure it." And I say, "Then how do you know they need to be changed." And they say, "We do alot of brakes, we know when they need to be changed." And I say, "That's not good enough, if you do not have a Vernier Caliper to take a measurement with, and I do, then please do not pass along ill informed advise." Then sometimes they want me to sign a waiver that says if something goes wrong with the brakes I will not sue them, it is just another scare tactic; I does not work on me and is really pathetic.

I hate Honda service advisors.

Ask them how many millimeters are left on the pad, let them know you know the service limit is 4mm (new is about 23mm thick).

This usually shuts most people up.

I have had this happen too, I ask for the thickness in millimeters so I can make a note of the measurement in my records. Then they say, "We didn't measure it." And I say, "Then how do you know they need to be changed." And they say, "We do alot of brakes, we know when they need to be changed." And I say, "That's not good enough, if you do not have a Vernier Caliper to take a measurement with, and I do, then please do not pass along ill informed advise." Then sometimes they want me to sign a waiver that says if something goes wrong with the brakes I will not sue them, it is just another scare tactic; I does not work on me and is really pathetic.

I hate Honda service advisors.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY - IT WAS VERY HELPFUL. I'M GOING TO TRY THIS.

Someone above noted this already: If the car was driven with the parking brake engaged it can and will burn through your rear brakes in a very short order. That should be the only reason you would need rear brakes other then a manufacturer defect or design issue.

Don't know about the new Accord's, but I've heard about Ridgeline's (I have an '06) needing rear brakes early due to premature wear. I was thinking around 30,000 miles though. I'll have to see if I can find that, because it might be a similar design issue.

Someone above noted this already: If the car was driven with the parking brake engaged it can and will burn through your rear brakes in a very short order. That should be the only reason you would need rear brakes other then a manufacturer defect or design issue.

Also possible warped rotors in the process! >_<

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2000 accord and the rear brakes go about 30K before they are worn out and they wear out before the fronts.

They seem to have a crazy self adjusting system and the pads are about the size of my motorcycle pads, so they seem to be designed to wear out fast

15K seems like a bit early

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
yeah i work at a Honda dealer and we see this all the time your not the only one we have had a lot of unhappy people all you can do is call Honda about it... they might cover it for you.. good luck!

Good suggestion.

There might also be a service bulletin on this.

• 7 months later...

my 94 accord EX did same thing from new,12000 miles and rear brakes were shot ,they would not cover them. service rep. acussed my wife of doing news paper route out of her car. I was pissed, then they said she must have drove it with the p brake on. My wife had 2 hondas before this one, you know when the p brake handle is on it's almost hitting you in the ribs. I now have about 240000 on the car and it has faifthfully gone through rear brakes about 21/2 times to 1 of the front. Your right about the dealers though, my abs lite came on and I took it to the dealer thy said the ABS system was bad and it would be 3,600.00 dollars,my wife drives it so I payed the money. This was about two years ago. A couple months ago the ABS lite came on again ,I took it to the dealer they said the abs system was bad and they needed to replace it. Iasked if the one I they had already replaced had a warranty and they said no. I told them to forget it they souldn't be going bad like that. I took the car to a private owned tranny shop he called me to tell me the car was making a funny noise whe he test drove it ,I said I know it's the ABS compressor. He said he didn't know what it was so he looked under the hood and found the noise,said it looked like the compressor had a resivor, looked empty, found cap,ontop of resivoir said brake fluid, he filled and started the car. He said the compressor came on and the fluid bubbled then drained, so he turned it off filled it again and started the car again. The fluid res. drained again. He looked for leaks but there were none ,filled the res. again turned on car compressor ran for 30 sec. and shut off,res. full and ABS light turned off. It's been fine since and ABS works. To add to this Walnutcreek Honda Ca. has done all the service and oil changes since I purchased it from them in 94, I did not know that there was a seperate resivoir for the ABS, but they sould know and they are supposed to check all the fluids at services and oil changes. I think they got me for 3600.00 for the ABS replacement ,it was doing the same as the it did the first time. Then i don't think they bleed the system when they replaced it ,if they even relaced it. SO Beware of dealers,Now I ask for all parts replaced to be given to me.

Archived