Engine knock????

RidnOnNeons

I have a 97 civic ex with the y8 vtec motor. Just recently it seems to have a little bit of a knock. The knock only occurs when i barely push the gas pedal down or when the rpm's get high. I'm not sure if it is a knock or tap or whatever ya know! A buddy of mine says that he thinks its just a lifter tapping but I'm not sure if it would sound that loud or not! If anyone thinks they know what it might be then please let me know! It also wouldn't hurt if someone knew how to fix it either! Thanks everyone!!

wait dont hondas not use lifters? i forget the correct term that they are but..could possibly just need a valve adjustment.

Twin cams should...single cams do not. If it was a valve, it would tap at all times, not just when on the gas. From what the OP is describing, it sounds like octane knock.

Twin cams should...single cams do not. If it was a valve, it would tap at all times, not just when on the gas. From what the OP is describing, it sounds like octane knock.

I thought the same thing myself! Try putting premium gas in and see what happens! My B16 will knock if you put Regular in it. :sleep2:

I just had the same problem i spun a bearing in my b16 listen to if its comming from the top or the bottom of the motor. spun bearings arent a REAL big deal u have to Mic (micrometer) the crank to make sure it hasnt deformed but you can do it from underneath by taking the oil pan and Windage tray off. then it will expose the bottom of the motor.. just try to wiggle each rod cap to see or hear if it moves if it does then its a rod bearing. if not then its something else

Archived