Part 1: MFactory LSD review

This is a review and semi comparison of the new MFactory LSD for the non-LSD B16/LS transmission. This will be a two part review with this first part looking at the quality and the second part reviewing the performance and operation once installed.

Upon arrival the diff looked great, no damage from shipping and no obvious manufacturers defects. To compare quality against I have two other differentials. One is an OBX LSD for the 40mm D series and the other is a Quaife LSD for the 35mm D series.

OBX's quality speaks for itself (poorly). The bottom flange has a manufacturers defect. It appears the flange was not completely machined or was affected by a chemical or some other object.

The quality on the Quaife is good, but the unit I received has a manufacturers defect. The bottom flange is 47 ten-thousandths too small, allowing the new OEM bearing to slide on and off with no force needed (set it on the flange and it falls completely into place). Due to Autotech no longer being the US distributor it appears they are not going to uphold their lifetime warranty (even though the new US distributor has a 35mm D series Quaife in stock whereas Autotech does not) by replacing the diff, instead only issue me a refund and let me pay the higher price the new distributor is selling Quaifes at.

The MFactory diff had no manufacturers defects. I disassembled it completely and inspected it (not required and definitely not recommended by MFactory, only reason this was done is due to this unit is being used for testing). The internals of the diff look great. No burrs, nothing missing, washers installed correctly, etc. I dont have a OBX or Quaife B16 LSD to compare it against, but it appears MFactory has taken steps to remove unneeded weight from the differential. Reassembly went smoothly with no problems after cleaning the threads up to remove the Loctite.

I'm very anxious to install this and do the actual testing on it. Not expecting any problems as the other test units have held up fine in road racing and 900whp drag racing.

Onto the pictures. MFactory on left, Quaife in the middle, and OBX on the right.

l_2c8bbc7dddcd211d7d464ef0355ed672.jpg

l_e4f2824a8135a41d11d6cf9ca5c187ab.jpg

Manufacturers defect on OBX

l_61b3645110eb0eca43bc0d52dab4f38b.jpg

Showing how the gears mesh up for those who have never seen the internals. Top axle (not visible as it is in the case still) is the same as the bottom axle (visible). Outer gears mesh up 50/50. Gears are very light, finish is very smooth with no burrs or flaws anywhere on them.

l_64b163555cacd3adb71fa599ba0e28d7.jpg

Top axle gears

l_6dc8d1faef4a99c178f0746dc8b7f8fa.jpg

Disassembled and laid out.

l_e61dfc16ccd65798e667373d52714177.jpg

Archived