HELP!!!

Orca89

you can get a manual showing you how to change those things, a timing belt kit, and a new oem waterpump for all less than $180 bucks.

i think saving that much money is worth 1-2 nights in my garage doing it myself

you can get a manual showing you how to change those things, a timing belt kit, and a new oem waterpump for all less than $180 bucks.

"Do you like doing it yourself?" :laugh:

Oh yeah, definitely. Found the Haynes Civic and Del Sol repair manual on Amazon for $3. Pretty sweet. Looks like replacing the water pump takes a couple hours, hence the huge price tag for Honda to do it. So actually, it shouldn't be more than about $120 for all three... maybe even less. $50 for the pump,. $35 for the timing belt... $3 for the manual, ok, make that $90. Ok... even assuming they take an eternity to get everything figured out (say... 4 hours or so), that's $130 an hour... dang. Granted, it'll probably take me that long or longer, but that's because I've never done any significant work with an engine before. Hence, the manual, and hopefully a buddy or two to help out.

Oh yeah, definitely. Found the Haynes Civic and Del Sol repair manual on Amazon for $3. Pretty sweet. Looks like replacing the water pump takes a couple hours, hence the huge price tag for Honda to do it. So actually, it shouldn't be more than about $120 for all three... maybe even less. $50 for the pump,. $35 for the timing belt... $3 for the manual, ok, make that $90. Ok... even assuming they take an eternity to get everything figured out (say... 4 hours or so), that's $130 an hour... dang. Granted, it'll probably take me that long or longer, but that's because I've never done any significant work with an engine before. Hence, the manual, and hopefully a buddy or two to help out.

Any local import forums in your area? I know if you were in my neck of the woods, this thing would be done in no time! I will help anyone out! :thumbsup: So there are bound to be some others in your area who would! :)

I'm looking, but unfortunately everyone I know is busy this weekend... And, due to even more idiocy on the side of whoever's been doing the work on this car, the front right caliper nearly fell off the car today on the way home from work! The bottom bolt was just plain missing... I wonder if the Honda guy got mixed up... I hope that's the case, but that really sucked when the brake pedal suddenly lost most of it's resistance... Scared the heck out of me. Suffice to say, I drove the rest of the way home really carefully whenever there was someone in front of me. So now my car is sitting up on jack stands, the front right wheel is off, the caliper is off, and the rest is pretty well rusted on... The brake rotor has dozens of gouges, it's uneven as all getout... And the previous owner just slapped new brake pads on and called it good.

I'm looking, but unfortunately everyone I know is busy this weekend... And, due to even more idiocy on the side of whoever's been doing the work on this car, the front right caliper nearly fell off the car today on the way home from work! The bottom bolt was just plain missing... I wonder if the Honda guy got mixed up... I hope that's the case, but that really sucked when the brake pedal suddenly lost most of it's resistance... Scared the heck out of me. Suffice to say, I drove the rest of the way home really carefully whenever there was someone in front of me. So now my car is sitting up on jack stands, the front right wheel is off, the caliper is off, and the rest is pretty well rusted on... The brake rotor has dozens of gouges, it's uneven as all getout... And the previous owner just slapped new brake pads on and called it good.

Make sure threads look good on the hole missing the bolt! I had a CRX where the bolt was stripped completely!!! >_<

just a little heads up, when you take the rotors off, theres two screws that will probably give you some trouble that hold the rotor on. you dont want to strip these so first if they dont come off right away soak them in WD40 or similar product, if not, theres always the torch to heat them up or an impact gun.

just a little heads up, when you take the rotors off, theres two screws that will probably give you some trouble that hold the rotor on. you dont want to strip these so first if they dont come off right away soak them in WD40 or similar product, if not, theres always the torch to heat them up or an impact gun.

Use PB BLaster FTW! :thumbsup:

P1000274.jpg

Got the rotors and everything off, but the disc retaining screws refused to come out... and now they're breaking the bits we try to drill what's left of them out with. Any ideas?

P1000274.jpg

Got the rotors and everything off, but the disc retaining screws refused to come out... and now they're breaking the bits we try to drill what's left of them out with. Any ideas?

Grind down smooth and clean other holes with tap, and wd-40 then use them?

Also use cobolt steel bits FTW! :thumbsup:

Grind down smooth and clean other holes with tap, and wd-40 then use them?

Also use cobolt steel bits FTW! :thumbsup:

Yup, pretty much, haha. For some reason, the tap broke in half while we were putting it through... it was just cleaning out the rust, no resistance, it just snapped in half. But, we got it done. I have front brakes again. And I think both calipers will work properly too. Money = saved. We did about $800 worth of work today, and it only cost me about... oh, maybe $150-$200. And 9 hours... ugh, were we really going at it that long? dang.

^^ I see more dead presidents in my wallet! :thumbsup:

Oh indeed, by a long shot, haha. Well... kinda. More of fewer dead presidents being sent to my credit card... Anyway, the rear rotors and brake pads are on... I thought I could stop fast with the crap that was on there before, haha. Can't wait for the front hawk pads to show up... hopefully the old pads won't do any damage to the front rotors... The pads may have been new, but the rotors... I thought the front ones were bad, the rear pads proved me wrong.

Oh indeed, by a long shot, haha. Well... kinda. More of fewer dead presidents being sent to my credit card... Anyway, the rear rotors and brake pads are on... I thought I could stop fast with the crap that was on there before, haha. Can't wait for the front hawk pads to show up... hopefully the old pads won't do any damage to the front rotors... The pads may have been new, but the rotors... I thought the front ones were bad, the rear pads proved me wrong.

Seriously, you changed the rotors but not the pads? Expect grooves in your rotors to match the grooves in your pads. Should've just waited to be honest.

Seriously, you changed the rotors but not the pads? Expect grooves in your rotors to match the grooves in your pads. Should've just waited to be honest.

Yeah, probably... but it'll only be 20, 30 miles of driving at the most. Hopefully the new pads will be here tomorrow anyway, so it shouldn't be a big deal. And the old pads are only really worn in a slight crescent on the inside... most of the pad has barely been used. Since it isn't inspected, I'm only driving it when I absolutely have to.

On another note, we're wondering if we'll even need a press to get the bushings out... they're so worn that you can see light coming through around most of the circumference. Rubber mallet might be all we need, haha.

Oh, and as for the disc retaining screws... we had to drill all but one out. They were over-tightened, and rusted in. For something like that, it should be snug. Tight enough that it won't vibrate out, no more. Not that it would really matter if it did fall out a while down the road, haha. PB blaster, WD-40, an Impact Screwdriver... nothing worked. Even broke one of the bits for the driver...

• 4 weeks later...

Alrighty, finally got the bushings taken care of... Little hint, don't get the bushings from delsoltuning unless you can find the metal pieces elsewhere... trying to get the rubber off of the metal crossbar and outer shell sucks. We used an acetylene torch and it still took forever. Had to replace the bushings on the lower control arm too, since none of the bolts came out properly. Then we had to drill out the control arms anyway because we accidentally welded the outer metal shell to the control arm. So... my car was up on jack stands for a week, and we put in probably 20 hours getting the bushings out, stripped, put together with the new polyurethane inserts, and hammering the bloody things back together. But, at long last, the end is in sight. All that's left is replacing the motor mount and welding the exhaust. It could be inspected as early as monday. I'll put some pictures of the bushings and such up after it stops raining. Meant to take pictures as we were working... but I forgot my camera.

Alrighty, finally got the bushings taken care of... Little hint, don't get the bushings from delsoltuning unless you can find the metal pieces elsewhere... trying to get the rubber off of the metal crossbar and outer shell sucks. We used an acetylene torch and it still took forever. Had to replace the bushings on the lower control arm too, since none of the bolts came out properly. Then we had to drill out the control arms anyway because we accidentally welded the outer metal shell to the control arm. So... my car was up on jack stands for a week, and we put in probably 20 hours getting the bushings out, stripped, put together with the new polyurethane inserts, and hammering the bloody things back together. But, at long last, the end is in sight. All that's left is replacing the motor mount and welding the exhaust. It could be inspected as early as monday. I'll put some pictures of the bushings and such up after it stops raining. Meant to take pictures as we were working... but I forgot my camera.

Ahh, the trials and tribulations of owning an east coast Sol.

Ahh, the trials and tribulations of owning an east coast Sol.

indeed... *sigh*.

On a much more positive note, replacing the motor mount took 20 minutes. That's from when I pulled the car in to when we let it back down off the jack stands. It's a wonderful feeling when bolts come out like they're supposed to and you don't have to replace 3 times what you went in intending to replace. We're welding the exhaust tomorrow afternoon, and then it goes in for inspection Monday or Tuesday. Then I might see when they have the fewest people coming in for inspections, and get it inspected whenever that is, haha. Make life simpler. Hmm... I need to get the oil changed too...

Archived