H22A Swap Guide

joecollins2

fbd52a4c.jpg

Most people know about swapping B16's and B18's into civic's. It's the most common swap that anyone can undertake. Most people do not know of another easy, but not quite as common engine swap. The H22A Prelude engine into an Accord.

Why is this an easy swap? The fourth generation Prelude was well known for it's Si and VTEC trims (H23a and H22a respectively) but the less common S trim was available with an F22 accord engine. If the accord engine fit in the prelude, then why not put a more desirable prelude engine into the accord?

Mechanically, it is a very easy swap. There are details that need to be covered, and I'll just focus on them. Writing a how-too is more than I was willing to undertake for this particular project.

Research

While researching the swap, I discovered that the '96, '97-'99 H22a engine wiring harness plugs are different than those found on '96 and up F22a plugs. This leaves you with one option: You must modify the accord harness to work with the new engine. Please not that at this time, I have not investigated the plugs found on '95 or older F22a's. They may be the same allowing you to use the H22a harness on a older accords.

Engine Harness

Since I was dropping a '93 H22a into a '96 Accord, I had to modify the accord harness. The '96 accord used crank triggering that is located by the crank rather than the inside the distributor. Careful cutting and splicing is necessary to reroute the wires to the distributor. The trigger is the same on the crank as it is on in the distributor allowing you to use any ECU.

h22a_swap23.JPG

The Dirty Work

The most difficult part of this project was the wiring change from an OBDII accord to an OBDI H22a. This chart will provide you with the info that you need to do a similar swap. As you can see, there are great similarities between the OBDII accord and OBDII H22a. The only wires necessary for this swap would be the addition of a VTEC pressure switch wire, Knock sensor, and IAB solenoid.

Find a chart online to convert an OBDI accord to an OBDII H22a. It's too damn long for me to type out right now! :crazy:

h22a_swap34.JPG

The '96 Prelude

This was the only 4th generation prelude that had an OBDII engine computer. This makes the '96 ECU a very desirable ECU for H22a swaps into OBDII accords. In '97, Honda incorporated a theft deterrent immobilizer system that makes using '97-'99 ECU's much more difficult.

Motor mounts

In order to drop the H22a in without any hassles, it will be necessary to use the rear, passenger side and front accord engine mounts. The prelude mounts will NOT work. Also, you will need to grind down the driver's side prelude mount to make it fit properly.

h22a_swap29.JPG

Air-conditioning

A little experimenting always goes a long way. You can retain your stock AC system as long as you use the accord AC bracket and compressor. The prelude AC mount will work if you want to try and use a prelude AC compressor. However, if you have a working system in your accord, there is no need to replace the components.

h22a_swap26.JPG

Main Crank Pulley

If you use the Accord AC compressor, you will definitely need to use the accord crank pulley. This makes it easier to buy belts.

Axles

You can use either prelude or accord axels and intermediate shaft. They are essentially the same. On the intermediate shaft side, you cannot mix accord and prelude parts. The connection is different between the two

Cruise control

On the '96 accord that I worked with, the cruise control used a second cable that attached to the throttle body. Most Hondas run the second cable into the cabin where it attaches to the gas pedal. A set of prelude pedals should take care of this problem.

Power Steering

If you want to retain power steering, you will need to use the prelude power steering pump and high pressure line. This seems to be true for forth generation prelude pumps. You will need to figure out which one you have. Later model H22a's used a different pump that appears as if it will work with the accord pressure line. If not, you will need the prelude high pressure line

Immobilizer

'97-'01 Prelude ECU's have the immobilizer function built-in and will either require you to rebuild the immobilizer function or have the computer modified. Your best bet is to try and find a '96 prelude ECU or convert to OBDI in the case of '96 or newer Accords.

i once knew a guy with an 95 accord with a 95 prelude vtec engine and he had no a/c. it was hell, no pun intended, when he took me home from school. living in texas during the summer isnt helping much either. by the way, its like 96 degrees here today but the index says it feels like 107-109 degrees! damn humidity!! :mad:

HA ha ha. That's one nice thing about up here in Indiana as oppsed to where I live in FL. Here the hottest it EVER gets is 90 and humid. When I left Fl to come back here it was 91 and humid as crap at 930 in the morning! One nice thing though is those free beer samples they give out at Busch Gardens in those big freezing cold buildings all over.... You chug a cup and it's so damn hot outside your hardcore buzzin in like 2 minutes off one cup! Greatness!

HA ha ha. That's one nice thing about up here in Indiana as oppsed to where I love in FL. Here the hottest it EVER gets is 90 and humid. When I left Fl to come back here it was 91 and humid as crap at 930 in the morning! One nice thing though is those free bee samples they give out at Busch Gardens in those big freezing cold buildings all over.... You chug a cup and it's so damn hot outside your hardcore buzzin in like 2 minutes off one cup! Greatness!

so...where the hell do you live? FL or IN?

HA ha ha. That's one nice thing about up here in Indiana as oppsed to where I love in FL. Here the hottest it EVER gets is 90 and humid. When I left Fl to come back here it was 91 and humid as crap at 930 in the morning! One nice thing though is those free bee samples they give out at Busch Gardens in those big freezing cold buildings all over.... You chug a cup and it's so damn hot outside your hardcore buzzin in like 2 minutes off one cup! Greatness!

so...where the hell do you live? FL or IN?

Okay I lived in Indiana initially. Which is where the shop is. I moved to FL thinking of moving down there, so I lived there for a while. There's just too much competition down there and none here. The only place to go around here is Auto Zone or some crap! So it's better money here. I have a place there too so I'll be going back and forth every couple of months or so.

Thank god for dry heat.

yea.. same for nor cal.. man im gonna turn on a/c during i sleep.. :p

Why do I have a feeling noody is even going to attempt this swap!?

i might do, it depends if i can get the moneyy.. money is everything..

i might do, it depends if i can get the moneyy.. money is everything..

Hell yea it is, I was gonna do this swap but in my EG then i got a nice 1400 dollar cell phone bill from when i was in mexico. God damn AT&T

Archived