Car's finally done....

joecollins2

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, you're still wrong.

B16A head = 9.55:1

B18C1 head = 9.73:1

Looks like your so called tech article subscriptions are crap.

Quit acting like you know crap.

In the world of boxing, the bout between Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield brought two well-trained fighters with opposing styles into the ring.

Tyson, known as "The Knockout Artist" had the power to drop his opponent in less than two rounds, maybe two seconds, but often does not have the stamina to last 12 rounds.

In the world of Honda performance, this situation is paralleled with the DOHC non-VTEC Integra motor, assuming the role of Tyson and the DOHC VTEC engine portraying Holyfield. The non-VTEC 1.8-liter has brute Tyson-like torque, but lacks the ability to venture forth into the higher reaches of the power band, due to it's unstable valvetrain. The 1.8- and 1.6-liter DOHC VTEC motors have the stamina of Holyfield, climbing long and deep to stratospheric engine speeds, but lacking the torque necessary to fire down the 1320 effectively. If we could apply our hybrid "Tyson-Holyfield" theory to our motor, we would have the best of both worlds--brute torque force and extended high-rev stamina. It exists and it's called the Frankenstein engine.

Frankenstein FactsThe Integra B18A1 and B18B1 engines displace 1834cc and have an 81mm x 89mm bore and stroke configuration. In the case of the two B-series DOHC VTEC engines, the Integra B18C1 (GSR) moves 1797cc with an 81mm x 87.2mm bore and stroke combo and the Del Sol B16A1 combusts 1595cc with an 81mm x 77.4mm bore and stroke. Basically, this shows that the B18A1 in stock trim has 35cc more displacement than the B18C1 and 239cc more than the B16A1! This is the primary reason why the non-VTEC motor exhibits more of the bottom and mid-range torque than each of the VTEC models. Since none of the Honda engines have the sheer volume of V8 iron, the need to extract as many ccs as possible is necessary to create the low-end power needed to propel a vehicle down the quarter-mile effectively.

The Transformation We happened to stop by Pann Auto Performance in San Diego and visited Carl Batac, the company's resident auto surgeon who was about to perform this miracle surgery by putting a B16A1 head on a B18A1 block. Although our pictures show the transplant taking place off the car, this procedure can be done without removing the motor in cars that are motivated by the B18A powerplant since most of the modifications will be done to the head rather than the block. Naturally, this comes in handy if you ever have the urge to return to "blandness" and reinstall a non-VTEC head.

Since this particular transplant is going the all-motor route, Carl decided to replace the 9.2:1 pistons with the 10.0:1 compression GS-R factory slugs. One point that should be taken into consideration is that the VTEC piston will fit in the non-VTEC block and this will create more torque to get you down the 1320. The 10.0:1 GS-R piston is a great street replacement piston however for a race application we would suggest either trying the B16A 10.5:1, B16B 10.6:1 or B18C5 10.8:1 piston to increase the torque for a race motor.

WHAT?!?! What's that say??? Hmmm. Must be a typo. You're right. You don't even drive and you kow it all! Wow! We should all fall to our knees and suck you off man! Wow! Thanks for enlightenment on how wrong I am.

(following not directed to SuperGayRX7)

Anyways, back to an intelligent conversation...... This is the second article I've read on top of just hearing people say that compression for as long as I can remember. However, I may be wrong on the horsepower numbers. I'm still trying to find where I read that at!

Carl decided to replace the 9.2:1 pistons with the 10.0:1 compression GS-R factory slugs

thats not stock though. and if im not mistaken, the whole point of this argument between you and superstreet is whether or not a stock ls/vtec setup will make 200 horsepower. joe, i don't know your definition of "stock". but for me, as soon as you replace a single part (pistons, cams) with a part with different specs (be it OEM or not) it is no longer stock.

and just to clear things up, DOHC VTEC heads have a different casting than regular DOHC heads. a general rule of thumb is that a b16 head will bump compression up .2 points from a standard DOHC noTEC head, and a b18c GSR head will bump an extra .2 on top of that. so superstreet's figures of a b16 head ls/vtec @ 9.5:1 and a b18c-gsr head ls/vtec @9.7:1 sound right on to me.

if you would like more proof than just our words, check out C-Speed's compression calculator.

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/compcal...lc/compcalc.php

Dude, thats not a f*cking text article. Thats a site some guy made, I've been there. Nice "subscription" you have. Gee, I thought a shop owner like you would have built an LS/VTEC by now.

Here you go.... click here

OWNED

Did I say that was from a subscription??? Nope didn't think I did! That was from import tuner! I'm the one that talks out my ass huh?

Okay the USDM DOHC NON_VTEC B18B1 is rated at about 140 h.p. The Frankenstein conversion usually adds about 60 to 80 horse. Now that all depends on whether or not you use "performance" parts in your conversion. Use some Spoon or Comptech products and you'll see that extra 80 horse EASY if not more.....

Looks like the crap is falling out. For someone who owns a shop, you don't know crap about a simple conversion.

Ha ha. I leave for a little bit and look what happens, everyone tries to kill each other. Bad news for me, if I do want to pop the 18g turbo in I have to change some computer components. I'm thinking of scraping my car and doing a 240sx/SR20DET swap. I'm not worried about drag racing and it should be fun on highways and twisties. Later I'll do the S15 front conversion because you have to admit that that's one of the most beautiful cars their is. Oh no!!! Nissan on a Honda forum?!?! Be gentle. Thanks for the help Joe, at least you were trying to help me.

Silvia conversions are bad man! If your going to do a swap make sure to go with the red top if you can find one cheap. There's a place in Clearwater that was moving to Tampa but it's XAT Racing that's all they do. The can put anything on the motors you want when they put em in, anything. Do this:

Bigger turbo

Greddy intake manifold

Bigger Injectors

FMIC

and you should be set. The SR20DET is a bulletproof block man! It can easily handle about 400 hp before you need to tweek any internals.

I think I need to go all out with my car now! Tasteful body kit, rims, system, all that crap! I ordered some Sparco's for it but I think it's time to go all out. I'm getting tired of the stockness of it! I've been driving the M non-stop cause it's nice outside and my Si's getting lonely so I think I need to bust it out and into the shop for a makeover!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived