to turbo or not to turbo...

06lxcoupe

ok...so, me being a 17 year old kid...im gona make stupid choices...thats why i joined this forum, so i wouldnt make anymore.....BUT, this time i get to ask everybodys opinion....ok...so, everyone knows i have 140hp....everyone also knows 17yr olds wna go fast lol....all jap cars has a turbo for non si civic (like my lx)....the only problem is...the turbo will cost $3250...and will give me about 220 hp :( ....most people would consider that a waste of money.....BUT....this is a daily driver...and since im used to the 140 hp it will be a big jump for me....also, i know that i will have this car for about at least 3 more years.....so, do i spend the money to temporarily make me happy till i buy a new car....or i just try to be patient till i get a new car....3 years is a long time to wait.....so, can anybody and everybody PLEASE voice there opinion....THANKS A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-06lxcoupe

this should be in the "civic" section...

the turbo will cost $3250? is that a kit? does that include a BOV?

wouldn't want to run high psi's with stock internals...are you going to build more? because that will cost more money...

with more power, you might want to do a few upgrades so it will handle better too with the more power...

some might say if you want more power easily, exchange this car for another one of the same price...

and the fact that you say you are 17 and you are going to make stupid choices means that you aren't stupid :)

do not boost on the stock motor if you want your car to last 3 more years. You need to internally build the motor, then piece together your own turbo kit. (ex. buy the turbo, FMIC, BOV, and piping , and everything else you need seperately... you will end up spending a lot less). if you are set on a turbo, id sell the civic and buy an eclipse(never recomend going from honda to mitsu. but you can safely boost on the stock motor).

its a turbo kit for $3250....the reason i wont trade it in for an si is because i was fourteen when my parents bought it....it was my moms for a year...then i got my DL and she got her own car.....she wont let me trade this in because when i turn 18 im going to buy it form my parents.....and then BAM.....G-O-O-D C-R-E-D-I-T........lol.....i have some skunk2 lowering springs coming in tomorrow.....then ill tint the front two windows *again*....then ill be pretty much set for looks....but performance....different story....IF i was smart when i was 14 i would have talked my parents into buying an Si but....14 yr olds arent picky...at least i wasnt....i was jus happy to no that i would have a car when i was able to drive....it comes 197 hp stock.....and ajperformance.com has a turbo kit for the Si that will push 376 hp......yes....my friend has one....it was $4500 i think.....but....i thank everyone for the input...feel free ta leave some more....ill be back later to bug everybody some more :)

-06lxcoupe

i wouldn't boost the car IMO right now. I'd get your exhaust done and research more about boosting the car. I'd look at what you can tune it with. You may want to look into thing like rods, pistons, get the bottom end built. Make sure your fuel system can handle the added boost and make sure the motor will withstand the extra power. Boosting cars take some money and research. Boosting a new car take alot more planning and money.

Drive the hell out of that car. You need to improve your skills at handling a car, and there is nothing better than a slow car to keep you from killing yourself so fast.

Use the money on the car.

We all know you're going to blow the money anyways. I can just hear it burning a hole in your pocket.

Archived