front pads and mahine the rotors

zoltron30

hi guys just a quick question...

i have a 2001 honda accord and i need some front pads and need to have the rotors machined. honda is charging 275.00. just wondering if i should buy the pads and pay another mechanic for the labour or have a friend of mine install the front pads.

just wanting to know if i should let someone else do the job or honda. dont feel like shelling out 300.00

thanks

Shell out the $60.00 for the Honda OEM Brake kit. It will include 4 pads of the highest quality, 6 new shims, and enough molybdenum lubricant to touch up the back of each pad and lubricate each caliper piston.

Have the rotors turned at PepBoys, only $5.00 each.

It has become extremely hard to even locate a good molybdenum lubricant, unless you buy it with a set of Honda pads. Look at the ingredients of your run-of-the-mill brake lubricant, they may look the same but often you will find softer metals instead of molybdenum; along with alot of graphite. The softer metals stress under high temperatures, e.g. aluminum, etc.

Get the rotors turned elsewhere, and get your friend to put the pads on for you. Its not hard at all, and should cost you around $75 or so if you are getting the rotors turned, including the cost of new pads.

thank guys! honda is charging 80.00 for the pads and i had my rotors machined/turned at canadian tire a few months ago, but their still recommending that i machine/turn the rotors again...

Zoltron30: "but their still recommending that I machine/turn the rotors again."

You should be fine, unless the vehicle has been driven in extreme conditions. As such, the rotors would look like the surface of a vinyl record rather than a compact disc (in texture, not color).

dont ever waste your money machining rotors. waste of time. if they wobble braking at high speeds , replace them they are done. you can get drilled rotors on ebay for cheaper han 100 bucks to your door. buy them , they will last forever as long as you dont let the pads wear out till the remnants scrape your rotors. if they dont shake at all , they are fine , throw new pads on , and go.

dont ever waste your money machining rotors.

What about the grooves in the disc, don't the grooves eat up new pads?

You're right, they're junk if they wobble. Wobble is caused by heat damage, nobody should even be able to find someone foolish enough to put heat damaged rotors on a lathe; I have been told the heat damaged rotor is structurally compramised and the bit on the lathe can sink into the surface and catch, thereby destroying a very expensive bit.

I have come across rotors with huge channels cut into them, but no heat damage. The lifespan of the brake pads were significantly improved by getting the rotors onto a lathe. Was this a placebo effect?

All four rotors for my civic from brembo didn't even cost $100. screw machining, just replace them with a reasonable quality product and replace the pads. Should cost you no more then $100 in parts to do the front brakes, and it should take any half decent tech a max of about 30 minutes, maybe an hour to change them.

Pads are cheaaap, and easy to change.

If you go to have it done at a shop prepare to get a reaming. I don't know if they've still got their work based on labor prices in a book or if they've gone to a computer but you can expect brake work taking some money. They pounded my ass hard when I took my truck to the shop to get pads changed at all four corners.

dont ever waste your money machining rotors. waste of time. if they wobble braking at high speeds , replace them they are done. you can get drilled rotors on ebay for cheaper han 100 bucks to your door. buy them , they will last forever as long as you dont let the pads wear out till the remnants scrape your rotors. if they dont shake at all , they are fine , throw new pads on , and go.

i agree get cross drilled rotors.... and then some ceramic brakes from pepboys,.....lifetrime warranty like for 30 bucks.... or just go with the green stuff brakes.....

The op was concerned about spending $300.00 at Honda, I don't think he would be interested in cross-drilled rotors.

Todd from Brembo High Performance Sales told me in an email shortly after the Sema show that their product "chews up" brake pads at a rate of 2-3 times normal wear on non-cross-drilled rotors.

For many applications, cross-drilled is just overkill. Off the top of my head, auto-cross and rally are the only two I can think of that require some greater-than-OEM setup. On the quarter mile, you break after the end of the strip and cross-drilled and slotted are both designed for repeated braking where there is insufficient time for cooling.

In the end, its everybody's choice, just keep in mind that what you spend money on over-building could drain money from other aspects of a build that need work.

dont get slotted than , just buy drilled rotors , there , fixed , lol. dont make life complicated. you buy zinc coated drilled rotors and dont let the pads wear down too far , they will last forever.

i agree with cranny. drilled rotors will last a very long time and yo'll get every cent you paid for them out as long as you don't run the pads down metal to metal. Of course thats how alot of rotors work too.

• 2 months later...
Todd from Brembo High Performance Sales told me in an email shortly after the Sema show that their product "chews up" brake pads at a rate of 2-3 times normal wear on non-cross-drilled rotors.

For many applications, cross-drilled is just overkill. Off the top of my head, auto-cross and rally are the only two I can think of that require some greater-than-OEM setup. On the quarter mile, you break after the end of the strip and cross-drilled and slotted are both designed for repeated braking where there is insufficient time for cooling.

The whole reason I called Todd at Brembo, was that I was trying to get an idea of what my options were in replacing my own heat-damaged rotors. As you can tell by this post, I haven't really come to a decision, but the situation is being forced upon me as I will be making my purchase(s) in the next few days (like by Tuesday, April 1st).

I don't race, I don't even drive fast (that much), but my rotors have the worst heat damage I have ever seen; I will post pictures when I have them removed. When I bought my rotors from NAPA, I didn't realize I was buying such crap (hind sight is 20/20). When I described the damage to the guy at the parts counter at PepBoys, the little smart-ass gibbed, "You shouldn't buy the cheapest rotor." :rant:

I distinctly remember asking for rotors, at NAPA, and being offered the premium NAPA rotor. The guy never said, "Oh, by the way, your buying crap, so you might want to choose the premium rotors." Why would NAPA even sell these glorified doorstops as rotors.

I cannot afford, nor do I want, cross-drilled rotors. I cannot afford slotted rotors. I ESPECIALLY cannot afford anything manufactured by Brembo. I would like to get everyone's imput on what exactly I should ask for; at the parts counter of NAPA, PepBoys, etc.; to avoid buying a piece of junk forged in China by an 11 year old blacksmith that rode to work on a goat. Preferrably, a rotor that will last longer than my OEM Honda brake pads.

Thanks in advance.

i got my brembo cross-drilled rotors for 100 shipped. you could probably just get some brembo blanks for cheaper and not worry about them being crap

:laugh: I can't tell you how many times I've seen you post that information, and I truely appreciate your quick response, I just could not get over how I was reading that thinking, "I've seen him say that before."

Honestly, I think I am in denial, I just cannot accept that there isn't an inexpensive rotor that is able to meet my expectations (i.e. not crap). Is Brembo really the only player in town? I have never had quality issues from NAPA before got this heavy a$$ hand-me-down CE6.

haha its good info!

check out wilwood and stoptech, i know they have good parts

Stoptech: I can't drive to Orlando this weekend for some rotors. Their products look nice though.

Wilwood: They only have OEM replacements for the 1990-1999, 2002-2004 Honda Civic and the 1994-2004 Honda Civic Si.

IRP Brembo accord rotors

brembo front blanks for 97 ex v6 $37.99 + ship, rear blanks for 97 ex v6 33.99 + ship

bought from there before. quick shipping. originally I had contacted the guy through HT and got the price knocked down a little more than list and a set of pads for free.

this place is like NAPA, but they don't sell just sht parts, they sell stuff worth buying as well. not all the performance parts they have are the best prices online, but for oe style high quality replacements they do pretty well.

/done

:p

Archived